Herbal Tea
Herbs, Lavender, Rose
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

• “160/365 The last of Bluebird’s Dreamtime collection, which was released earlier this year (just after Christmas?) Dozy Girl is kind of a repromote in this context, because it’s part of their...” Read full tasting note
  • “0.9 tablespoons for 248 ml Predominant flavour is lavender with chamomile in the background. Hibiscus is very well blended- I can’t pick it out in the blend. There a slight lemony zing which I’m...” Read full tasting note
  • “SUPER glad I can’t taste any hibiscus in this! If I had seen it in the ingredients of the tea, I wouldn’t have bought it. I taste a nice blend of chamomile and lavender… maybe a little lemongrass....” Read full tasting note
  • “This was my bedtime drink of choice yesterday. Looking at the ingredients, it’s a blend I really shouldn’t love, given I’m not a huge fan of floral teas. But for some reason, this just works for...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A soothing, sleepy time blend of chamomile, lavender + rose

Chamomile, Lemon verbena, Hibiscus, Rose petals, Lavender

Put those pesky sheep to bed once and for all with this soothing blend of lavender, chamomile and rose. Perfect before bedtime for a sound night’s sleep. Also nicknamed ’Mother’s Little Helper’ and ‘The Girlfriend Calmer’… it’s a miracle in a cup!

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

160/365

The last of Bluebird’s Dreamtime collection, which was released earlier this year (just after Christmas?) Dozy Girl is kind of a repromote in this context, because it’s part of their permanent collection anyway. I’m pretty sure it’s one of the ones that’s been around since day one.

It’s never been one of my absolute favourites, just because floral teas aren’t generally my thing. I had a cup right before bed, though, and I slept so well last night that I might have to reevaluate. I didn’t go to bed particularly early, but I woke up actually feeling refreshed, and that’s a rare thing for me.

The most prominent flavour is chamomile, followed by a heavy hit of rose. The lavender is there also, but remains very much a background flavour. The combination is highly scented and perhaps a little too perfumey for my liking, but it does tone down the sweet/honey flavour of the chamomile a little, and that’s welcome.

There’s something underlying the other flavours that I can’t quite put my finger on, but it’s adding a deeply “herbal” note to an otherwise sweet tea. I suppose it could be the lemon verbena…? It’s not the hibiscus! Until I looked at the ingredients list, I didn’t actually realise there was hibiscus in this blend. It doesn’t affect the flavour or colour, so I guess it can’t be much.

This probably isn’t a tea I’d drink routinely for pleasure, because the flavour combination isn’t really one I enjoy. As a sleep aid, though? You bet!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp
Evol Ving Ness

I find myself doing most anything for a good night’s sleep these days—and by these days, I mean the past two years since my new neighbours moved in with baby and other hysterics.

Scheherazade

That sucks. I’ve had bad neighbours before, and remember it as one of the worst experiences of my life. That might sound melodramatic, but it got to the point where the thought of going home made me feel physically sick…and I don’t like my job! If I’d rather stay at work than go home, I know things are really bad. This tea just seems to knock me out, though. I don’t think it used to have that much effect on me, but it certainly does these days!

Evol Ving Ness

Not melodramatic at all. I completely get it and well know that sinking feeling when you walk in the front door to your own home. It’s like the thing gets poisoned. Sorry that you had had that experience. Here, I continue to experiment to find a workable solution. It’s coming.

Hurray for potent sleepy tea!

0.9 tablespoons for 248 ml

Predominant flavour is lavender with chamomile in the background. Hibiscus is very well blended- I can’t pick it out in the blend. There a slight lemony zing which I’m sure the hibiscus is accentuating.

SUPER glad I can’t taste any hibiscus in this! If I had seen it in the ingredients of the tea, I wouldn’t have bought it. I taste a nice blend of chamomile and lavender… maybe a little lemongrass. It’s nice and I like it, but I don’t think it is spectacular enough to warrant the shipping costs from the UK.

Lexie Aleah

I just did something similar myself I bought a Mandarin Spice Tea and it has hibiscus as the second ingredient. I usually always check beforehand but didn’t this time.

Dustin

How was it? I would imagine the hib would be pretty strong and yuck if it was the second ingredient.

Lexie Aleah

I have yet to summon up the courage to try it. I might as well make a cup right now.

This was my bedtime drink of choice yesterday. Looking at the ingredients, it’s a blend I really shouldn’t love, given I’m not a huge fan of floral teas. But for some reason, this just works for me.

It’s such a pretty tea, with the rose petals and chamomile giving it an almost dreamy appearance and the scent of the lavender creating an instant calm. It does taste floral, there’s no getting away from that; mostly chamomile, with a sizeable dose of rose and then lavender drifting in.

Every time I take a sip, I get these childhood memories of attempting to make my own perfume (mashing up flowers from my gran’s garden in a bucket of water! Please tell me I’m not the only 8-year-old that did that?) In fact, there’s a lot about this tea that reminds me of being a little girl. Those little pouches of potpourri my gran would put in my bedroom when I slept over. Maybe that’s why I find this tea so calming. It takes me back to when life was carefree and the only thing I had to worry about before I went to sleep, was if mum had remembered to stock up on Coco-Pops for the morning. I always sleep so well after drinking this tea. It’s one I will always make sure is in my cupboard.

Flavors: Herbs, Lavender, Rose

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Dozy girl is by far my favorite night time tea. It’s relaxing and cozy and puts my right into a peaceful sleep. Couldn’t recommend enough!

Flavors: Lavender, Rose

I’ve drank this tea a few times in the past, and each time I seem to be of the same opinion, which is that while this isn’t by any standard the best tea I’ve ever drank, it’s nice to have at bed-time and it sure is pretty.

The scent of both the dry leaf and liquor is predominantly lavender, though the longer I inhale the more apparent the lemon verbena becomes. I’m always surprised how pretty and pink this brews up, until I remember the hibiscus in the ingredients (which doesn’t actually seem to affect the flavour at all). The lavender is strong in the tea itself, but not overpowering, and is followed by the delightfully citrusy lemon verbena. Despite the numerous whole buds of chamomile in the blend, the sweet, hay-like flavour of it doesn’t stand out and only becomes apparent when I search for it. I get the feeling that it adds more to the general thickness and sweetness of the tea than anything else. As a chamomile hater, I’m not complaining. Though not up there with my favourite teas of all time, this could probably make a list of my favourite bed-time teas, since as a general rule I’m not fond of many. I’d probably keep it around for that purpose.

As I’m typing this my cup is starting to cool, and the more it does, the more the lavender fades into the background and the stronger the chamomile gets. Bummer.

ETA: Apparently this was my 150th tasting note! Woo! Go me!

Roswell Strange

Congrats on 150! :)

Ahhh, this is nice.

It’s been tired times for little Kelshy and I am so over having blood tests taken, but I hope they’ve got enough of my blood to actually figure out how to make me feel less like perma-garbage. And way heavier than I’ve ever been. And always sleepy.

And yet I still managed to be awake until midnight last night, even though I specifically made myself a nice cuppa this to help me drift off into dreamland and maybe, just maybe wake up refreshed instead of exhausted? Oh well. Tasty, though. I love lavender, but it needs to be balanced with the right other flavours otherwise it’s a bit like drinking soap. And it needs to be sweet, otherwise, again, soap. So brewed this up with two little spoons of sugar and tucked in while finishing my evening attempt at finishing that awful race off the end of the heli-carrier in Lego Marvel Superheroes on the Xbox. The chamomile balances out the lavender beautifully, with just a touch of the other bits giving it lift and balance. It’s like being wrapped up in a warm blanket of lovely flowers that I’m magically not allergic to. Lovely.

But I also made a little gaggle of five-spice gingerbread Daleks and TARDISes to take to the office last night, and they went down an absolute treat. Huzzah! Five-spice makes the best gingerbread.

And here’s something I wrote where I talked to some nice gentleman about a Christmas special they made for a show called Doctor Who:

__Morgana__

I hope you start feeling less like perma-garbage soon. (Great description, though.)

A sample from the EU TTB box round 3 return.
Not a huge fan of lavender in tea but I will give it a go, on the upside I love lemon verbena so it may work out well.

Ooopph, perhaps not! The raw scent is lavender, with a side of lavender and more lavender. Strong yet sweet and pure but lavender all in all. Some herbs behind but not strong enough to work them out.

Steeped scent is sweet but still uber lavender. Also the tea is a pinkish tone. At times I think I can smell rose but it’s too difficult to tell.

Flavour is light-ish (at least) and while being lavender dominate is also highly floral and herbal too, giving it more elements. Quality wise it’s fresh with only minimal dryness in the after taste. Also some sweetness in this, though not as strong with the lemon verbena as I was hoping. Drinkable though for a non lavender fan, to the point where I may consider getting more as a bed time tea. It’s rare that I can stand lavender in tea but it truly does make me tired.

So not a great tea but it does the job, and in reality it’s quite nice.

Flavors: Herbs, Lavender, Rose