Almond, Ceylon Black Tea, Cinnamon, Flowers, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel
Almond, Orange, Raisins, Pastries, Bitter, Cookie, Fruity, Marzipan, Astringent, Cherry, Citrus, Malt, Nutty, Artificial, Candy, Sweet, Apple, Cinnamon
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “I brewed up a huge pot of this at work and drank it throughout the day. It is so good! Tastes like an almond pastry with candied orange topping, and has a rich raisiny fragrance. I will absolutely...” Read full tasting note
  • “I prepared it today and… it doesn’t turn out so good. Two teaspoons; four (recommended) minutes of steeping, 300 ml boiling water. I don’t know why, but I don’t really enjoy this one. It is bold...” Read full tasting note
  • “I think this was another of the teas that I was sent in lieu of what I ordered. It sounded interesting, but with the potential to be really generic given a pretty standard set of warming...” Read full tasting note
  • “The first time I had this tea, I found it to be lightly nutty with a little bitterness. The second time, I brewed more carefully, so there was no bitterness. I didn’t notice as much nuttiness...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Nothing quite says Christmas like a classic Mince Pie!

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without homemade mince pies- surely the staple of the festive season? (and everyone knows puff pastry is the best!). Guilt-free, gently spiced + deliciously sweet, great with or without milk! So curl up in a warm duvet and sip on this inspired blend, before Santa gets his hands on it!

Ingredients: Sri Lankan black tea (75%), cinnamon (12%), almond pieces, orange peel, pomegranate flowers, natural flavouring.

Brewing Instructions: 1 tsp per cup, 100C/212F, 4+ mins.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I brewed up a huge pot of this at work and drank it throughout the day. It is so good! Tastes like an almond pastry with candied orange topping, and has a rich raisiny fragrance. I will absolutely be purchasing more of this one.

Flavors: Almond, Orange, Raisins

I prepared it today and… it doesn’t turn out so good.

Two teaspoons; four (recommended) minutes of steeping, 300 ml boiling water.

I don’t know why, but I don’t really enjoy this one. It is bold balck tea, but not much present in taste. Aroma is perfect though, very pastry like, cookies, almonds, little bit of marzipan and fruits. But in taste all I got was bitter tea with hints of sweet notes, bit of almonds, but overall pretty untasty. It was too bitter, somehow muted taste of everything. I blame that the almonds went rancid probably.

I don’t know, but I just don’t think it is so appealing as others noticed.

Flavors: Almond, Bitter, Cookie, Fruity, Marzipan, Pastries

I think this was another of the teas that I was sent in lieu of what I ordered. It sounded interesting, but with the potential to be really generic given a pretty standard set of warming spices/other ingredients. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the first cup not tasting entirely familiar – the flavour was a bit different, and in a good way. I’m not getting it so much in the second infusion (which I’m drinking now), so I’ll have to remark on what exactly this difference was later. But I was certainly pleased. It was, though, fairly astringent – but that’s probably on me because I heavily oversteeped it (aka forgot about it for probably 20+ minutes).

In other news, this was my first tea on my first day back to work! (Yesterday.) Aside from the matcha latte I had, but I don’t feel like that really counts, even though I’m going to log it at some point.

The first time I had this tea, I found it to be lightly nutty with a little bitterness. The second time, I brewed more carefully, so there was no bitterness. I didn’t notice as much nuttiness (though few nuts went in the infuser, so that makes sense), but found an orange flavor creeping in there and some malt from the base tea. I haven’t tried it with milk because it seems like that would be weird for this blend. This is one that I like, but I don’t love. It doesn’t totally capture the flavors that it’s going for, but it’s decent.

A tea I have the chance to try due to a sale from Cameron B! Thanks so much! I wanted to try this one while it was still colder weather a couple days ago. The dry leaves certainly smell wonderful… reminds me of some type of food I eat, but it definitely isn’t mince pie, since I’ve never had mince pie. I’d probably like mince pie if I tried it, but it seems like that was around in the US more when I was a kid. Not so much anymore. The blend is a strong black base with almonds that taste like marzipan. I’m certainly glad I managed to wait for almost twenty minutes and steeped for a relatively short time… the tea was a little brisk even with one heaping teaspoon. So note to self: don’t steep over a teaspoon. I’m GLAD it’s a heftier Ceylon these days though (also, the black tea leaves were fairly small.) The flavor is lovely, it has almost an apple note, without actually being apple, with a nuttiness and baked goods type of flavor. It’s really good. But be careful with the steeps!
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for a full mug // 19 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 10 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep

mtchyg

This sounds very interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever had mince pie myself. I associate it with meat (mince meat) but looking it up I guess it doesn’t contain meat any longer other than the suet that would get put it. This tea makes more sense now. I was like, “How do you get a meat pie taste into tea?” Learn something new everyday!

tea-sipper

YES when I was a kid, I thought mince pie was made of meat. haha

Mastress Alita

It really does have a name that conveys that image, not to mention most British pies are meat/savory… it only makes sense!

Holiday Tea-son! Second tea from my advent calendar, and another of their holiday seasonals for this year. The cinnamon and orange notes are coming out strongly in the dry leaf, so I’m imagining this will be a bit like an orange spice black tea?

It brews up a pretty burnt sienna tone, and the aroma is a very enticing combination of cinnamon, orange, and some sweet notes that smell a bit like a more subdued amaretto; a little nutty, a little cherry, but not overbearing or syrupy-sweet.

The flavor comes out with a very forward cinnamon note, and then follows with a very sweet almond taste; a bit like marzipan but not as strong or as syrupy as most teas that go with a sweet, desserty almond taste. I keep my steeps pretty brief to try to cut back on possible bitterness/astringency that I don’t like coming out in my blacks, but this Ceylon is pretty strong; it’s malty, and most of the fruitiness of the tea seems to be present back in the base, where I’m getting the orange peel, a bit of a subtle cherry note, a little citrus tang, and there is a moderate black tea astringency after the sip. Even with my short steep, it still comes out a bit bitter beneath the sweet cinnamon/almond flavor.

It’s fine, but nothing that excites me overly much. Mostly because it just tastes too bitter/astringent for my particular tastes, despite the flavoring.

Flavors: Almond, Astringent, Bitter, Cherry, Citrus, Fruity, Malt, Marzipan, Nutty, Orange

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 2

Ugh, I’m exhausted after going to Target and the grocery store… x.x

Time for a tea!

I’ve tried this one previously – it was in the November subscription box. I found it good but not memorable. Maybe this little sachet will change my mind!

To me, this tea is nothing like mincemeat. It’s not different in England, is it? The mincemeat pies I’ve had were somewhat like a much spicier apple pie with raisins and other dried fruits.

Whereas this tea has a strong marzipan/amaretto flavor to it, which throws me off. There is a little hint of spice and perhaps some apple. But mostly it’s amaretto bubblegum to me… Or maybe maraschino cherry.

It’s not bad, it’s just not what I would expect from a mince pie tea. And to me, amaretto teas seem very common so it’s not memorable either.

But I do feel so much better after sipping my tea quietly on the couch with my feet up and my laptop. So thank you, tea!

Flavors: Almond, Apple, Candy, Cherry, Cinnamon, Marzipan, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML
Lexie Aleah

I went to Target and the grocery store today too! :P

Nattie

Mince pies over here are similar, but I would say with less spice and more booze. Usually heavily brandy-soaked.

Cameron B.

@Nattie, hmm maybe it’s the booziness that reminds me of amaretto.

Nattie

Could be!

044/365

Sticking with the Christmas theme…

This one is bagged, and it came out of a Christmas gift set I bought for myself last month. I bought it mainly because it contained the four limited edition seasonal blends, and a few at least were new to me (and I think actually new new, although I’ve been MIA for a while in tea terms..) This was one of them.

I can’t claim to be able to comment with any authority on similarities to an actual mince pie, because I can’t stand the things. I do like this tea, though. It reminds me a fair bit of yesterday’s Adagio Christmas, although it’s a lot less orangey. There’s a similar cinnamon/ginger vibe, but this time with lots of almond. It adds an almost-creamy, pastry like element, which is really nice. There are lots of red pomegranate flowers in the blend, for reasons unknown to me, although they are pretty. I expect they’re a carrier for some of the “flavouring” that’s otherwise unspecified on the ingredients list.

On the whole, this one tastes like fruit cake and pastry. If you like Bluebird’s Christmas Cake blend, you’ll probably like this one too.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp