2016 Beneath an Emerald Sea

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Floral, Green Pepper, Sweet, Citrus, Hay, Mango, Raisins, Tobacco, Bitter, Sweet, warm grass, Wet Wood, Moss, Thick, Vegetal, Cream, Earth, Mint, Asparagus, Astringent, Creamy, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Apricot, Broth, Custard, Grass, Lemongrass, Lettuce, Seaweed, Vanilla, Green, Green Beans, Herbaceous, Honey, Lemon, Smoke, Herbs, Sage, Fruity
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea

• “Clean, solid, dynamic tea. First tasting of this was in a thermos with 150ml boiling water per gram. Was immediately impressed. The dry cup smell was out of this world. I really love dry cup smell...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ll start off by saying I brewed this in the Jian Shui and I usually don’t like reviewing teas with the added variable of brewing in clay for obvious reasons. Taste being the most drastic. So, I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Great Sheng. I’m still pretty new to pu erh, but I definitely tasted the floral and sweet notes immediately. In later steeps, I think I tasted a bit of green pepper too (which was interesting bc I...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m going to be blunt: I love this tea. It’s sweet, bitter, sour, fruity, and floral. After watching Glen’s YouTube video (Click Here), I bought a beeng without sampling it, and it was the right...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

Our 2016 “Beneath an Emerald Sea” is a new blend we’ve created this year. The rich green forested hills of southern Yunnan look like a rolling emerald sea during Spring. Drinking this tea is like swimming in that ocean of flavor and aroma. It’s fantastic. This will brew thick and creamy. There is an early bitterness that lingers. Later steeps get sweeter.

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

Clean, solid, dynamic tea.

First tasting of this was in a thermos with 150ml boiling water per gram. Was immediately impressed. The dry cup smell was out of this world. I really love dry cup smell and it is a big factor for me in choosing cakes.

Enjoyed this tea gong fu as well with my 60ml gaiwan using 3.5 grams. There’s some smoke in the first couple steeps which I’m not into, but after that all good. Very clean. Just enough bitterness. Not too vegetal. I’m pretty new to pu’er so not sure if lack of veg flavors is because it’s had a couple years to rest or if it is inherent to this tea. Would like to know. Good session.

Brewed up more of this sample today. 7gr in 110ml porcelain teapot. Lately I’ve been brewing tea doing 10 second steeps from start to 8, 10, 12 steeps or whenever a tea seems to be needing a push and then I put the leaves in a 500ml thermos for at least half an hour. The short steeps are nice for enjoying the more subtle flavors and enjoyed the progression of this tea. Even without the thermos portion of the session this tea is recommendable and worth buying a cake. But with the thermos steep this tea shines even more. Very thick but soft mouthfeel. Warm maple sweetness. Amazing puckering bitterness. And a huigan that stayed with me for nearly an hour.

If you have not brewed tea this way I suggest you try it. There are some things that just won’t come out of tea leaves without a thermos or boiling but boiling boils off a lot of flavors. Basically once you are two thirds of the way through a session is a good time to feed the thermos. And I’ve noticed that the better the tea, the better the results.

So, I cracked into my cake after taking the day off yesterday and threw a bunch of this in the Jian Shui. Smooth, sweet and soft. All while maintaining a thick body throughout the session. Tastes were strong but lacking in bitterness. The lack of Qi was of note. Some mouthfeel.

Overall, I think this is a pleasantly easy drinker. Again, I prefer to brew in the Gaiwan to review but I wanted to use my clay teapot for a long day of drinking. I should review this tea again down the road.

Great Sheng. I’m still pretty new to pu erh, but I definitely tasted the floral and sweet notes immediately. In later steeps, I think I tasted a bit of green pepper too (which was interesting bc I don’t usually like green pepper).

Flavors: Floral, Green Pepper, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

I’m going to be blunt: I love this tea.

It’s sweet, bitter, sour, fruity, and floral. After watching Glen’s YouTube video (Click Here), I bought a beeng without sampling it, and it was the right move, 100%. At $50.00USD/200g, it’s literally at the cut-off of what I personally consider to be budget-friendly: $0.25USD/1g.

(I’m in the process of creating a post to establish this blog’s price brackets, hopefully I’ll have that posted by this weekend.)

If I had a larger budget, hands down this would be in my daily arsenal. The quality of this tea speaks for itself: the leaves have incredible endurance and appear expertly-processed: I’m hard-pressed to find any burnt edges. In a nutshell, this is an incredible choice for all levels of drinkers. This is the perfect choice for drinkers who are no longer beginners, and are willing to pay a bit more to see what the next price-bracket of teas have to offer without breaking the bank…

Read the full review at: https://shenggut.wixsite.com/shenggut/single-post/2017/08/16/Crimson-Lotus-Tea-Beneath-an-Emerald-Sea-Spring-2016

Flavors: Citrus, Hay, Mango, Raisins, Sweet, Tobacco

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This tea is stout. I did a rinse, then a steep of 20 seconds. Bam! Flavor was off the charts, intensely bitter but not astringent. First few infusions remained rather intensely bitter. I kept dropping my time back until I was at 10 seconds. The liquor then took on a sweetness, but still has plenty of bitterness and a bit of sourness. It produced a creamy mouth feel. I’d like to taste this one in 10 years. I admittedly have a hard time describing young shengs. I saw one of the flavor notes someone posted was warm grass. That’s a good description of what I experienced with this tea. It’s the Fourth of July, and I feel like there are fireworks going off in my mouth with this one.

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Wet Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

Thick and balanced with a nice, moss-note.
Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2016-beneath-an-emerald-sea-clt

Flavors: Moss, Sweet, Thick, Vegetal

8 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Sipdown!

This is probably the most clean sheng I’ve had so far in my journey. I shared this with a friend who is hit or miss with most puerh (he’s more of an avid black/green tea guy), but I kept chugging away as he moved on to something else.

What I like about this tea: It lasts a long while and keeps ‘progressing’ as it goes. Toward the beginning of the session, there is a slight bitterness, which dissipates after steep # 3 (I will note here that I usually brew at a lighter temp (195 F) with sheng puerh). This tea has a nice smooth, grassy, leathery, and floral note throughout; however, with each steep, one flavor trumps over the other. Strange, yes, but good. I’m really happy to have had the chance to 1. drink this; 2. finish the sample with a friend (for the most part).

mrmopar

I got this last year. Still aging and I need to pull it out soon.

Starts out earthy, grassy, and slightly bitter (not unpleasantly), grows sweeter with subsequent steepings and the vegetal and almost minty top notes really come out. Clean, crisp and delicious! One of my first forays into raw puerh and I love it!

Flavors: Bitter, Cream, Earth, Hay, Mint, Sweet, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 140 ML

This was a good solid sheng with strong bitterness for about four or five steeps after it opened up. Somewhere around steep eight it began to get sweeter. You might almost call it a sugar sweetness in the sense that it seemed to be a sweet note without a fruity element or other note. I would not call it literally sugar sweet. It was good. I will try it again in another six months and see if it is aging at all in my storage. I have no room in the pumidor so it will have to be dry stored. This storage seems to work out better for my shou than my sheng. I think sheng is more susceptible to low humidity than shou. This was a good tea.

I steeped this tea twelve times in a 150ml gaiwan with 9.1g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. The tea got a little weak in the twelfth steep but I do think I would have gotten two more steeps out of it. This one would not go twenty steeps.

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet

Boiling 9 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Another solid sheng from CLT! It was one of the greener feeling sheng from the CLT lineup – not meaning it seemed really young, but just that it had some flavors I associate with greenness. . .I guess. The dry leaf smelled mostly floral, but after a rinse I also picked up a bit of a marine, seaweed aroma, along with straw. The rinse left a slight sugarcane aroma in the cha hai.

The first steep opened up with a bit of a seaweed note. I also tasted a pretty distinctly sweet grassy flavor, along with a light apricot aftertaste. The second steep saw the seaweed recede a little bit, a floral layer replace the grassiness, and a pretty thick creamy texture emerge. By the third steep, the creaminess was so intense, and the associated with a bit of a vanilla taste, that I was drinking custard – or so it seemed. Pretty friggin delicious.

Unfortunately, custardtea didn’t last long. The next three steeps were still quite sweet and thick, just not in the right proportions to get that real custardy vibe I got earlier. The taste was vegetal in the front, kind of brothy, with a slight lettuce bitterness, followed by the sweet vanilla floral creamy flavor.

The tea took another turn around steep 7, taking on more of an herbal quality in the front, but still with a sweet aftertaste. For the next few steeps, there was a slightly citrusy flavor in the finish, with the sweetness moving more into the front. Probably more lemongrass than lemon.

As it began to wane, the tea got more uniformly sweet. It went on with relatively pleasant sweetness and thickness through around 14 steeps.

I think my favorite steep of this one was the custard sweet one. The whole session was quite good – deep and creamy sweetness buried under a vegetal (emerald?) sea :P
It was also enjoyably complex, with a lot of different flavors and changes going on through a session.

Flavors: Apricot, Broth, Creamy, Custard, Floral, Grass, Lemongrass, Lettuce, Seaweed, Thick, Vanilla, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
KiwiDelight

Nice review! I wonder how you’ll think of this 10 years down the road.