Rooibos Carrot Cake

Rooibos Tea
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

From Dammann Freres

The rooibos’ warm and naturally honeyed notes combine with spicy and nutty flavors to create a smooth, velvety infusion that irresistibly calls to mind the gourmet taste of this American cake.

About Dammann Freres View company

#adventageddon Day Six – 1/5

I was excited to see this tea in the calendar – I actually almost just added a full size of it to the order I received my calendar in because I was so curious about it. I actually liked it a lot though, as with most carrot cake teas, I really wanted more of that tangy “cream cheese frosting” element that I think is so crucial to good Carrot Cake. A little hit of fruitiness to, like pineapple or raisin, could have been a nice addition.

However, the woody/honeyed note of the rooibos works really well with this spice mix to create the base for a nice warming spiced carrot cake, and there’s just a hint of carrot-y sweetness the solidifies the carrot cake comparison. It’s light but not weak, and I think the sweetness level is good too. Biggest win is just that it’s not overrun with a sickly licorice root note like the DT Carrot Cupcake blend.

Not my perfect Carrot Cake tea and I think I’m glad I didn’t order a full size – but I’m really happy I tried it and I liked the cup.

Advent day 6! I’m generally not a huge fan of rooibos. I find it tastes like stick water+whatever over ingredients are in the tea. However, this one isn’t terrible! It does have a nice baked good quality, and a wee bit of spice. It’s a really smooth mouthfeel, which I’m enjoying. Stick flavor is minimal, which is always a plus for me!

Inkling

Haha, “stick flavor” is a great description of how rooibos tastes. :)

When I started steeping this it smelled overly nutty and I was worried there would not be a good balance of flavors. However, after the 4 minutes of steeping, the nutty smell mellowed and it was much more well rounded. Tastewise, this definitely evokes the idea of carrot cake. A little sweet, a little nutty, nice spice. I was quite impressed actually. Though it is much better hot than when it cools.

AJRimmer

I love carrot cake teas! Haven’t tried this one yet, but I’ll look out for it.