Honey Black

Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Oh, honey honey

This beautiful black tea is a seriously special treat. It comes from a small garden on the east coast of Taiwan – an area usually reserved for growing oolongs. But the fresh air, clean water and abundant sunshine come together to create some deliciously flavourful black teas as well. To create this luxurious cuppa, each gold-tipped leaf is hand plucked and twisted, for a stunning tea that looks just as beautiful as it tastes. Our favourite part? A sweet and lingering hint of honey in every sip. Now that is sweet.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Pitting this tea against 52 Teas’ Radioactive Marshmallow and both are lovely. Check out my tasting note for Radioactive Marshmallow here: https://steepster.com/teas/52teas/97295-radioactive-marshmallow?post=422987

Both teas are new to me and I started with Radioactive Marshmallow. I genuinely didn’t think this tea would be able to put up much of a fight but its holding its own. Like Radioactive marshmallow, this is simple – smooth honey and a medium-bodied black base. Where the marshmallow sits on top of the base, the honey sort of lingers underneath. That makes the start of the sip a little more earthy/woody. It ends on a sweet honey note that lingers on the tongue.

Both are solid options but I think Radioactive Marshmallow squeaks ahead just because I tend to reach for marshmallow teas more often than honey and that tea puts flavor first and base second. As someone who drinks flavored teas more often, that means I will likely reach for it more but both are really nice.

Finished this up last night as a cold brew. Well not officially finished off as there’s a pitcher of tea sitting in the fridge. But its no longer in my stash, so I’m considering it done. :)

Not as fond of it cold brewed as it tends to seem just a wee bit more harsh than if I hot steep it and add to ice.

I had a nice big pot this morning, and it really hit the spot. Pure honey, malt goodness. I enjoyed it with some raw sugar and oat milk- so good!

Sipdown! 302/365!

This tea is super old. Like possibly 2011 DT advent calendar old? It’s surprisingly still not too bad – not overly sweet, but a nice light, flavourful black tea. I’d expected it to taste more like a mi lan black, but the sweetness is usually a fair bit stronger in those teas. Nice enough, though.

I spent yesterday evening at Marika’s for dinner and a couple rounds of board games and it was just lovely! This was one of several teas served up during the evening, and in particular it was what we brewed while nibbling on a platter of baklava at the end of our meal. Such a delicious complimentary pairing of sweet honey notes of this full bodied black tea with the honey saturated phyllo dough and crushed pistachios. Incredibly delicious!

Sample from omgsrsly I thought i’d tried this one from David’s before but it appears not. Brewed this one up today since i’m trying my best to get through a couple samples today while i work from home. This is relatively decent. there’s a sweetness here. It reminds me a little of a lesser version of some of the teas from TTC. I’d drink this one again :) thanks omgsrsly!

Thanks Evol! Brewing it up Gong Fu, and the first sip is mostly malty with a slight honey aftertaste. Nice body and texture with a little bit of a chocolate covered raisin thing going on, but I get malt, honey hints, and smooth texture more than anything else. Malty black tea overall. The same can be said for the later steeps. A little flat, but again thick and smooth in terms of texture. I did not enjoy this one as much as the other samples you gave me Evol, but it is not bad.

Evol Ving Ness

I preferred the other DT blend which you sampled the other day as well.

This tea is a good straight tea, another one to be careful with steeping. It has a little honey taste to it, perhaps it would be even better if I added honey or milk to it.

Flavors: Earth, Honey

I got this as my frequent steeper reward. I was like mwahahaha, I’m getting a $17 tea for free! Still, I feel nervous about drinking a tea so expensive. And while it’s good and I can tell it’s good quality, I don’t think I’d buy it for the price. It’s not mind-blowingly amazing. I definitely get the sweet lingering taste at the end but I don’t actually taste it as honey, per se. Just a general sweet flavor.

Maybe fancy blacks aren’t my thing, and I’ll just stick to flavored teas.

Flavors: Malt, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Mostly getting a note of malt here. The honey note, maybe a little. This is reasonably nice but not spectacular.

Brewed this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 4 min.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML