Honey Black

Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Oh, honey honey

This beautiful black tea is a seriously special treat. It comes from a small garden on the east coast of Taiwan – an area usually reserved for growing oolongs. But the fresh air, clean water and abundant sunshine come together to create some deliciously flavourful black teas as well. To create this luxurious cuppa, each gold-tipped leaf is hand plucked and twisted, for a stunning tea that looks just as beautiful as it tastes. Our favourite part? A sweet and lingering hint of honey in every sip. Now that is sweet.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sample from omgsrsly I thought i’d tried this one from David’s before but it appears not. Brewed this one up today since i’m trying my best to get through a couple samples today while i work from home. This is relatively decent. there’s a sweetness here. It reminds me a little of a lesser version of some of the teas from TTC. I’d drink this one again :) thanks omgsrsly!

Thanks Evol! Brewing it up Gong Fu, and the first sip is mostly malty with a slight honey aftertaste. Nice body and texture with a little bit of a chocolate covered raisin thing going on, but I get malt, honey hints, and smooth texture more than anything else. Malty black tea overall. The same can be said for the later steeps. A little flat, but again thick and smooth in terms of texture. I did not enjoy this one as much as the other samples you gave me Evol, but it is not bad.

Evol Ving Ness

I preferred the other DT blend which you sampled the other day as well.

This tea is a good straight tea, another one to be careful with steeping. It has a little honey taste to it, perhaps it would be even better if I added honey or milk to it.

Flavors: Earth, Honey

I got this as my frequent steeper reward. I was like mwahahaha, I’m getting a $17 tea for free! Still, I feel nervous about drinking a tea so expensive. And while it’s good and I can tell it’s good quality, I don’t think I’d buy it for the price. It’s not mind-blowingly amazing. I definitely get the sweet lingering taste at the end but I don’t actually taste it as honey, per se. Just a general sweet flavor.

Maybe fancy blacks aren’t my thing, and I’ll just stick to flavored teas.

Flavors: Malt, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Mostly getting a note of malt here. The honey note, maybe a little. This is reasonably nice but not spectacular.

Brewed this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 4 min.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Nice. Just getting into tea, but this is in the top 5 so far. First and second steeps very pleasant with a little raw honey and a bit of milk.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML

Gorgeous flavor, doesn’t need sweetener or milk. The honey flavor is so subtle and unexpected that it livens the whole experience. Magnificent tea.

Flavors: Earth, Green, Honey, Wood

Violisa

I agree! Thanks for the glowing review.

Thanks OMGsrsly for sending me a sample of this Always interested in trying new straight black teas – thank you.

I’m going to be perfectly honest here – the worst thing about this tea is the price. It’s way too expensive for what it is. Sure it’s a nice Taiwan black – it’s mild with just a hint of honey, it’s pretty starchy (potato ish). For this price it should he oozing in honey notes. I have others that I like better that are about half the price.

i haven’t tried it yet but that’s kinda what i figured it would be like..

Dexter

It’s fine – it’s totally drinkable but at 14.50/50g is should be more than that. I like the Hans Ecological one better and it’s way cheaper. IMHO

OMGsrsly

Yup. Definitely too expensive for what it is.

This is a decent straight black tea. I found this tea very malty. Being named “Honey black,” I was expecting the honey notes to be a little more prominent though. They were present, but very much in the background. There was also a little astringency, so I would maybe try brewing for only 3 minutes next time.

The price tag is a little high. This won’t be a cupboard staple for me but I wouldn’t refuse a cuppa this.

Nicole

Have you had Beautiful Taiwan Tea’s Honey Black? Or Green Terrace’s? Curious if you could compare them.

tigress_al

Shoot Nicole, no I haven’t. Sorry

Nicole

I wonder if they are less expensive than David’s. Although shipping is always a factor if you are lucky enough to just be able to go to a David’s in person. :)

tigress_al

There is a DT at our downtown mall, so I generally drink a lot of their tea (it’s convenient)

Made for me in a DavidsTea shop. I am guessing 1.25 tsp to 300mL water @96C. I steeped it five to six minutes, as I was in a mall and making my way to the parking lot.

The scent is very malty, reminding me of as Assam. The taste, however, has none of the heavy astringency of Assam, more the lighter and smoother body of a China black tea. Chasing the scent of malt is honey. Interestingly this tea does not develop a heavy body at all. Smooth and soothing and invigorating. I loved it.