Sticky Rice Oolong

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Rice, Butter, Bitter, Cream, Floral, Grass, Rice Pudding, Smooth, Sweet, Autumn Leaf Pile, Coconut
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

• “Yummmmm. Absolutely love this tea. Both the dry leaf and the brewed cup have a delicate, authentic sticky rice flavor. It’s wonderful on multiple steeps, and is absolutely wonderful mixed with a...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love this tea, both its flavour and its aroma. It indeed smells like the dried lotus leaves used to wrap one of my favourite dimsum foods, 糯米雞, so it’s a very nostalgic experience to sip a cup...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is so good, and so what I needed that I actually logged in after YEARS of inactivity just to say, yes, I approve so hard of this. I’m also really enjoying my tea press – especially since...” Read full tasting note
  • “Work – 2:00 PM Ahh… Time for a relaxing afternoon cuppa. The dry leaf smells divine. I’m rather partial to good white rice – especially the Japanese variety. It has such a lovely clean flavor, a...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

What makes this bold oolong from Doi Mae Salong, Thailand so unique? We blended it with Nuo Mi Xiang – a tender Chinese herb that tastes and smells just like sticky rice. And the results are a real treat for the taste buds. Think sweet and creamy, with satisfying notes of freshly cooked grains. Our favourite part? Since the herb and oolong are processed together, you get that authentic sticky rice deliciousness, naturally. One sip of this tempting tea and you’ll want to stick with it for life.

Ingredients: Oolong tea, sticky rice leaves (Nuo Mi Xiang).

Price per 50g: $14.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Yummmmm. Absolutely love this tea. Both the dry leaf and the brewed cup have a delicate, authentic sticky rice flavor. It’s wonderful on multiple steeps, and is absolutely wonderful mixed with a milk oolong as well. I could drink this tea everyday.

I love this tea, both its flavour and its aroma. It indeed smells like the dried lotus leaves used to wrap one of my favourite dimsum foods, 糯米雞, so it’s a very nostalgic experience to sip a cup while sitting at my desk at work so far from any dimsum restaurants. I bought 100g just before Christmas, made the mistake of letting my mom try some, and had my tea tin stolen from me. So I bought another 100g for myself after Boxing Day.

Flavors: Rice

I’m also really enjoying my tea press – especially since my office doesn’t have a kettle or a sink or anything near by. I can deal with the mess on breaks!

Flavors: Butter, Rice

VariaTEA

Hi Cavo! Welcome back!

Cameron B.

Hello! ❤

who are you? :)

Cavocorax

Hahaha. I DESERVE THAT. Look I’ve had this job long enough – I can PROB risk logging in here during the day.

Cavocorax

Also I placed a Verdant order yesterday. O.O IT IS TIME FOR SCARVES AND TEA AND CAPSLOCK.

Welcome back! and I hope you stay. (:

Cavocorax

Thanks! And I’ll try. I can already tell I’ve missed a ton of interactions by lurking on the fb group alone!

ashmanra

Welcome back! Good to see again!

jealous of your order. lol

Work – 2:00 PM

Ahh… Time for a relaxing afternoon cuppa.

The dry leaf smells divine. I’m rather partial to good white rice – especially the Japanese variety. It has such a lovely clean flavor, a great plump texture, and is wonderful with salted sesame seeds sprinkled over the top. Man, I really need to get back into making bento for lunch…

Wow, this tea… I don’t generally expect a lot from David’s Tea blends, but this is really outstanding. The oolong is mild, silky, and a touch grassy, with a thick mouthfeel and a light floral note. There’s a tiny touch of bitterness in the aftertaste. But that rice herb… It really does taste exactly like steamed rice. Combined with the sweet and creamy notes, it reminds me of a very lightly sweetened rice pudding.

Of course, David’s doesn’t seem to offer this one anymore. Luckily for me, I see that What-Cha also carries a sticky rice oolong. I’ll have to order some to try! ❤

Flavors: Bitter, Butter, Cream, Floral, Grass, Rice, Rice Pudding, Smooth, Sweet

eastkyteaguy

The sticky rice oolongs offered by What-Cha are great. You won’t be disappointed.

Cameron B.

Yay, that’s exciting!

Now I just have to try to wait to order until I drink up all of this tea… (eye twitches)

derk

Seconding What-Cha’s sticky rice oolong

annie

thank you for reminding me of this tea’s existence, this is what I ended up bringing to work today :)

I have been drinking more oolongs because I am enjoying them much more, my this one is delicious – delicate flavor and aroma. I re-steeped this over and over, it never lost flavor, so wonderful.

Flavors: Rice Pudding

By far one of my favourite teas.. too bad it’s been discontinued.. :(

Give me all the milk oolong — and all the sticky rice oolong!

I only asked for a cup-to-go of this – as I was curious. It was one of the few new DTs that isn’t over-saturated with sugars and artificial everythings. The idea of a rice flavoured tea that was different than toasty genmaicha got me interested!

I thought it was yummy. Reminded me intensely of rice pudding – YUM – the smell was absolutely boiled sweet rice, or yes – rice pudding. It was a unique, simple tea and I wish DT stocked their shelves with more like THIS and I would visit far more frequently.

~I am wanting to try Wha-Cha’s sticky rice tea as I have heard the cost is far less prohibitive.

Flavors: Rice Pudding

Given the various shuffling around DTs has done with its Frequent Steeper program, I wasn’t sure whether the birthday cups of tea were still offered. I have not been patronizing DTs much since their boom of imitation flavours and massive sweetener additions to the dry leaf itself. Not to mention the dramatic price hikes—ouf! The overhaul of the FS/ loyalty point program was the nail in the coffin for me, so to speak. I was done.

I still go in to try samples of what is steeping because I remain open to being convinced that they are offering something for someone like me and because generally speaking, I like a lot of their staff, but as a blender/company, what they are doing is not something I am interested in supporting.

Nonetheless, I popped in to see if there was still the FS birthday free cup of tea for me as I am still celebrating my birthday month. And yay, there was.

I chose this one because frankly, it is the only one of theirs that am curious about. And a tea fren was kind enough to send me a What-Cha sample of the same which I look forward to exploring this week.

My lovely DTs server was kind enough to pop my teaspoon of tea into a teabag and into an empty cup for me so that I could steep it up at proper temperature and enjoy it at home rather fight my way through rush hour traffic on public transit with a dripping teabag hanging out of a paper to go cup. Good choice that was.

This tea truly is intoxicating in both scent and flavour. I am on my fifth steep. The sweet sticky rice and the floral oolong flow into a lovely balance of flavours. I predict that I can still get three more flavourful steeps out of this. Let us see.

edit—Yup, still flavourful at eight steeps. Very much enjoyed this one.

I’d like to have this in my cupboard and would if the price were not so prohibitive. Still, it was nice to have the opportunity to spend my day with this.

I would rate this between 90 and 100 based on taste and sipping experience, but based on price, I am lowering that rating.

Just went on their website to check prices and this tea is no longer listed, so I guess they are phasing it out, but based on their other oolongs, 100 grams of this tea would be between 20 and 22 dollars plus tax, so something along the lines of 25 dollars (which for Americans, is approximately 3.5 ounces).

Oh, and it’s a sip down!

Lexie Aleah

I’ve been wanting to order this tea from them for quite sometime now. I definitely need to just do it and not think about. It looks like it’s not available anymore I could have sworn that it was there on Friday.

Leafhopper

I haven’t tried this oolong, but have been meaning to order What-Cha’s version for a while now. Maybe next year when my stash is under control (if that ever happens)!

CrowKettle

Argh, David’s Tea, you break my heart! I was going to take advantage of their Black Friday sales but it looks like my old staple favourites were axed at some point. This sounded like a winner too!

Evol Ving Ness

I know, right? If you were to pop into a store near you, I’m sure they would still have some on hand.

And someday, when my stash is under control, ha! yeah. A familiar refrain.

Arby

I actually liked this sticky rice oolong more than What-chas. Crow Kettle, I haven’t sent your samples to you yet, so I’ll add in a sample of this. I got a bag of it as my free tea for using my reward points.

CrowKettle

That sounds wonderful! I heard this one is lighter/actually has the herb leaves too.

And I will check if they have any left if I’m near a store. They still have the nostalgia factor; I’ll probably end up with another mug XD

The stash self-perpetuating.

Roswell Strange

I think everyone who’s commented in this thread knows this already, but just in case I’m just popping in a disclaimer that I currently work for DAVIDsTEA. That said:

Sadly, this one was only released as a limited edition tea and stores are no longer being supplied with it – but some stores, like mine, do still have some; it depends on how popular it was at their respective stores.

I totally hear you on the price thing; with staff discount this one was a better deal for me to stock up on than the What-Cha version but if you don’t get a killer discount like I do than the What-Cha version is actually much more affordable apart from the fact you’re paying shipping. But I mean, if there’s other stuff you’re ordering from What-Cha than it’s totally worth it, imo. Or if you’re not near a DT and would have to order online anyway. Plus, What-Cha carries their’s year round…

Main differences between the two blends are that DT’s has the “stick rice leaf” mixed into the tea as well (which is why we don’t class it as a scented/straight tea) which in theory should mean that it has a stronger rice flavour than What-Cha’s, which is only scented. Personally, I actually thought that What-Cha’s version was more rice heavy in flavour though. So I mean, depending on how strong a rice taste you actually want from the tea that could end up being a good or a bad thing for you.

Out of curiosity, CrowKettle which teas do you think were discontinued that were favourites? I can tell you definitively one way or the other!

CrowKettle

I was one of the oddballs that liked Jesse’s Tea and Dulce Banana (that last one was ages ago). Also, Gold Rush and Coco-Lemon Thai. But I probably spoke to hastily; there’s a few that would get me back in store- and if Santa’s Secret was available on the web for Black Friday Sunday sales I probably would’ve placed an order! <.<

Lexie Aleah

I have a brand new bag of unopened Jessie’s Tea if you’d like to trade. I accidentally bought it again when I did not like that tea.

Roswell Strange

Crowkettle – ah, yeah – sadly those ones have definitely all bit the dust. Gold Rush is one that personally I was really, really choked about. Santa’s Secret is back for the winter; I think we just sold out of it scary fast online for BF/CM – but if we do something sale wise for boxing day this year it should still be around at that time!

Arby

I was a big fan of Gold rush, Coco-lemon thai, Jesse’s tea, Rooibos de province, Mullberry magic, Yellow dragon, spearmint, Movie night, and Countess of Seville. All my staples have been discontinued except alpine punch and coco chai rooibos.

Lexie Aleah

I was really hoping DT’s Eggnog tea would come back this year.

yeah, Gold Rush….

Evol Ving Ness

Thank you for chiming in, Ms. Strange. Very informative and helpful.

When I was growing up, my mom used to make plain stickyrice as a side to almost every meal. I’ll admit right now that I hated it; it was bland and unappetizing and when you had it almost every day well. That said, I really wanted to try this tea anyways; see how it stacked up in comparison.

Dry, it just smelt a bit like an artificial milk oolong. /Brewed/ though. Yup, that’s sticky rice. The aroma and even the taste, light, sweet, vaguely pudding-like. As an oolong, it’s an interesting and different experience, but dang if it doesn’t give me nostalgia vibes. I hated the rice because it was always a big scoop of gelatinous filler, but this was a nice treat to try anyhow.

While it was still hot, you could make out the light vegetal oolong, but as it cooled the rice dominated.

Steep two (done several hours later) smells just of strongly (if not stronger) of white rice. As it cools, the taste is coming through just as strongly.

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML