Thailand 'Jin Xuan' Sticky Rice Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Cream, Kettle Corn, Milk, Popcorn, Rice, banana, Cucumber, Grass, Seaweed, Sugarcane, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Vegetal, Apricot, Custard, Floral, Honeysuckle, Nuts, Rice Pudding, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Stonefruits, Thick, Toasted, Green, Toasty, Vegetables
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “I’m a Tea beginner. Brewed it Gong Fu… my very first time. I was surprised it smelled so Rice like. Anyway… as a begginger… I picked up notes of jasmine and rice. It smelled a lot like Green Tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “Oh man, when I saw this in the samples from Kawaii433, after seeing some pretty ecstatic notes for this tea, I knew I was ESPECIALLY in for a treat! THANKS SO MUCH, Kawaii433! The tasting notes...” Read full tasting note
  • “It’s been a while since I’ve had this tea, but thanks to Kawaii433 I was able to melt into its comforting embrace this evening. This tea has already been reviewed most excellently. Whoever...” Read full tasting note
  • “Swap Sample Sipdown! (33) I was thrilled to find a great selection of unflavored oolong samples in my swap package from Kawaii433! I’ve been digging straight oolong lately for some reason, so it’s...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Has a creamy texture and sticky rice aroma, imparted unto the tea during processing by heating the sticky rice plant’s leaves along with the tea leaves.

Sticky rice scented tea is a speciality of northern Thailand, although traditionally green tea is used, Jin Xuan Oolong produces just as good if not better results.

Produced in Northern Thailand in what was once the hub of the ‘Golden Triangle’, the farmers in 1994 turned their back on opium production and switched to tea, importing a range of tea plants from Taiwan’s famed tea producing region Alishan.

Scent: Nuo Mi Xiang Nen Ye (sweet fragrance rice tender leaves) AKA sticky rice

Origin: Choke Chamroen Tea Estate, Doi Mae Salong, Chiang Rai, Thailand
Altitude: 1,350m
Organic: Tea certified organic by OneCert but not the herb used to scent
Sourced: Direct from Choke Chamroen Tea

Cultivar: TTES #12 Jin Xuan
Oxidisation: 20%
Roast: Light
Picking: Hand

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth texture
- Brilliant sticky rice aroma with a creamy taste

Brewing Advice:
- Heat water to roughly 85°C/185°F
- Use 1 teaspoon per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 2 minute

About What-Cha View company

I’m a Tea beginner. Brewed it Gong Fu… my very first time. I was surprised it smelled so Rice like. Anyway… as a begginger… I picked up notes of jasmine and rice. It smelled a lot like Green Tea and kind of tasted like a lot of the greens I’ve tried. Also got quite a few vegetal notes… spinach sort of flavor. It was a very interesting Tea to experience and I’m glad I got it as a sample. It’s a great company to order from and the hand written notes are great. I’ve got a couple more to try out. Tried to get a Nice variety.

1 tsp 5 OZ / 147 ML
Kittenna

This sounds delicious!

Roxy King

The sticky rice aroma was real! I might order a full size somewhere down the line….I think I’m still getting used to the taste of Tea Tea lol

Oh man, when I saw this in the samples from Kawaii433, after seeing some pretty ecstatic notes for this tea, I knew I was ESPECIALLY in for a treat! THANKS SO MUCH, Kawaii433! The tasting notes ain’t lying. This oolong is layer upon layer of lusciousness. This is absolute extreme sticky rice. Upon steeping, it imparts a sticky rice scent to the entire room. It keeps giving and giving. The oolong itself seems to lend to the sticky rice flavor, like the oolong itself is buttery and milky. It tastes like the most buttery of popcorn to me. Sweet, never astringent. Even when I mistakenly waited for 20 minutes for the water to cool on the second steep, even though I only waited 16 minutes on the first steep, the flavor was intense when it should have been weaker with the cooler temperature. Each steep was very consistent. The FIFTH steep almost had the flavor strength of a typical sticky rice oolong’s first steep. Whoa. This will probably be a cupboard essential for me when I finish some teas! So yeah, this is easily one of the best teas I’ve ever had.
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoon for a full mug // 16 minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 20 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #3 // 10 min after boiling // 2 min
Steep #4 // 4 min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #5 // just boiled (not full mug) // 3 min

Also finished Lupicia’s Framboise Chocolat (2019 Sipdowns: 5)

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Kettle Corn, Milk, Popcorn, Rice

Cameron B.

I agree, definitely buttery popcorn!

Kawaii433

Best Sticky Rice Oolong so far. I always keep it in stock should any of you ever need more <3.

tea-sipper

For sure. I definitely don’t feel the need to search out any other sticky rice oolong!

Kawaii433

The two sticky rice favorites that stopped my sticky rice searching were 1) Thailand ‘Jin Xuan’ Sticky Rice Oolong Tea and 2) For sticky rice pu’er, Mandala’s Rice Aroma.

tea-sipper

Definitely and thanks for sharing both of those with me. :D

CrowKettle

I second Kawaii433’s top two Sticky Rice teas. I consider both to be essential to maintaining a healthy tea cupboard ecosystem. :)

tea-sipper

haha, yes, some teas are like that.. or it just ain’t a tea cupboard!

Kittenna

Dang this sounds good.

It’s been a while since I’ve had this tea, but thanks to Kawaii433 I was able to melt into its comforting embrace this evening. This tea has already been reviewed most excellently. Whoever decided to mix Sticky Rice Herb with tea deserves a place in the history books.

Fantastic aroma and tastes. Toasted rice, popcorn, butter, cream and vanilla in the nose. Cucumber, seaweed, grass, starch, sticky rice, vanilla and cream in the mouth with an aftertaste heavily emphasized by butter and at times a hint of ripe banana. Medium to light-bodied with a satisfying swallow. Sugarcane returning sweetness.

Light and refreshing enough to drink in warm weather, comforting enough to drink when it’s cold outside, like rolling yourself into a sticky rice burrito blanket. Good western and gongfu, though I can’t attest to grandpa.

This is a lifelong sidekick tea. A good friend, that one you can call no matter what. Lends a listening ear, ready at a moment’s notice for adventure. I’m pretty sure if you have this tea with you, you can commit crimes and get away because this tea has your back.

Flavors: banana, Butter, Cream, Cucumber, Grass, Popcorn, Rice, Seaweed, Sugarcane, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Vegetal

185 °F / 85 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
Cameron B.

Yasssss sticky rice burrito blanket tea! ❤

lol Cameron :)

Both you: I really love this tea too. It’s definitely going to always be on my shelf so if you need more (or to those who haven’t tried it), give me a holler.

Swap Sample Sipdown! (33)

I was thrilled to find a great selection of unflavored oolong samples in my swap package from Kawaii433! I’ve been digging straight oolong lately for some reason, so it’s amazing to have so many to try. Thank you Kawaii, you’re the best! ❤

Of course, I have to try this one first. I absolutely love the sticky rice oolong from David’s Tea, and that’s saying something, as I don’t generally find David’s blends to be all that good. So I’m very excited to try another sticky rice oolong from a source that specializes more in straight teas!

As expected, this is friggin’ fantastic! It has a splendid sweet and sticky rice flavor that makes my heart go pitter-patter. But there’s also more complexity than just that. There’s lashings of butter and cream and even sweet corn and popcorn notes. Of course it’s deliciously silky smooth, which when combined with the sweet and creamy notes makes it almost custard-like in flavor. I would even go so far as to say I taste a hint a vanilla in here, though that’s probably just the sweet cream flavor tricking me!

And, of course, that’s not the end either. There’s a satisfying nuttiness that goes beyond rice, perhaps suggesting cashew or macadamia nut. And underneath all of the luxurious, almost dessert-like flavors, soft floral and gentle stonefruit notes that linger on the tongue long after the end of the sip.

So rice! Much wow!

Flavors: Apricot, Butter, Cream, Custard, Floral, Honeysuckle, Nuts, Popcorn, Rice, Rice Pudding, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet, Thick, Toasted, Vanilla

Kawaii433

Yay glad you liked it! It’s always on my shelf if you want some more. :D

Cameron B.

Oh don’t worry, I’ll be ordering a 100g bag of this from What-Cha once I sip down some more teas! ❤

hehehe ok! :D

CrowKettle

This one is amazing! Glad to see it’s getting lots of much deserved love :)

This smells divine. Seriously, I couldn’t help but plant my nose in the bag and take a few long drags before getting around to the brewing.

I think I might’ve accidentally brewed it a bit under 185, but the result was still delicious. Strange, but delicious. My first impression was that it still smelled amazing – rice and that light sweet note – but the flavor was all broccoli. As it cooled it cycled through spinach, wet popcorn and settled at something resembling rice once it was close to room temp.

It’s a fascinating oolong and I can’t wait to toss a few leaves in the bottom and have a go at grandpa-ing it while I pack for my next trip.

Wow, I didn’t expect this to taste like the real stuff. Freshly cooked rice fluffed with a knob of butter, and those crunchy pieces that are stuck to the bottom of the pot. Om nom nom nom…
The tea leaves are olive green but I could also spot the odd blanched-spinach-green leaf in there, which I guess is safe to assume is the Nuo Mi Xiang herb. Not sure if it’s a rogue leaf or if it’s supposed to be there.
The color of the liquor is pale gold with slight green hints – in-between a sauvignon blanc and semillon.
Back to the taste, in addition to the sticky rice and going in the same direction there’s notes of popcorn. Balancing all this toasty, crunchy goodness is some refreshing greenness that reminds me of stinging nettles tea. This completes the savoury profile and goes well with the buttery notes too.
It’s a unique tea and an interesting experience indeed. I can see myself going back to it once in a while.

Flavors: Butter, Green, Popcorn, Rice, Toasted Rice

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 45 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 190 ML

I can’t believe I haven’t already reviewed this! I’ve bought it about three times. It’s a great flavoured or flavour-imparted tea. Slightly sweet, satisfying, rounded. Changes each steeping.

Flavors: Butter, Popcorn, Rice Pudding, Toasted Rice

Just adding to my original review that I drink this often and put in another order for it. I finally got the banana and vanilla notes. Yay. It is quite complex, and definitely not all about just the sticky rice.

I need to learn how to focus, focus, focus.
>.<

It’s so yummy on this cold afternoon.

Porcelain gaiwan, 6g, 195-200˚ F, 8 steeps: rinse, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s, 95s

Flavors: banana, Butter, Popcorn, Rice, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
derk

Do ya thang.
Drink yo tea.
All things blurry will come to be.

:P

derk

Or you can throw you sticky rice oolong tasting notes at the wall and see what sticks.

hurrrrrr

I wasn’t expecting this to taste and smell exactly like sticky rice but it does. It’s got a delicious smell and taste. It almost doesn’t taste like tea. It makes me hungry, in fact.

Flavors: Toasted Rice

(Gaiwan, 30 sec infusions for first 4, +5 sec following, 13 steeps total)
Very interesting – had no idea what to expect! Wet leaves smell lightly toasted, touch of butter & starch. Pale yellow brew to start. Steeps 1-2 are delicately savory, buttery green vegetable flavors with just a little sweetness. Not getting “rice” so much as general toasty starchy notes. Fun to see the bright green “sticky rice” leaves open up while oolong leaves are still fairly tight. Steep 3 has tiny additions of bitterness and dry finish. Steeps 4-7 get a light floral aroma, though taste isn’t really there yet. Steeps 8-11 gradually lose flavor, especially buttery notes. Final steeps 12-13 get a slight boost of floral aroma and flavor, but all other flavors are receding.

Next day followed pkg directions for western brewing; had most of the same flavors as gongfu, but not as distinct. Pleasant and generally comforting.

185 °F / 85 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML