Assam Superb Tea

Dark Bittersweet, Malt, Smoke, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Teresa Sousa

2 Images

From Fortnum & Mason

Assam tea, indigenous to India’s steamy Brahmaputra Valley, is one of the world’s oldest varieties. The aptly named Assam Superb has the rich, dark liquor and smooth, round, malty flavour prized by the connoisseur. Full of body and flavour, it is ideal at any time of the day.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

Had this earlier today from mom’s stash of tea. While its not a bad little cup, it was a little too bitter for me at 3mins. I likely won’t get another chance to have some but if I did I’d try 2.5 minutes with water just a little cooler, to see if that helps. I much prefer the breakfast tea I have from fortnums to this one but it was good to try.

Ysaurella

the F&M teas are generally very strong and malty. I recognize their qualities but maybe this is just not my kind of teas

I enjoy a few of their teas, but i’ve also had less than amazing experiences with some as well. I think they’re a hit and miss kind of company for me at least…

This is the tea that my father used to always bring back from his business trips to London, and I’m always going to love it probably more than it deserves. A nice strong Assam!

Bonnie

I’d drink it for the memories.

a friend gave me this marvelous tea. it’s rare that i can find a tea that is strong enough, but this one gets there.

It appears this was likely from VariaTEA, so thank you!

I drank it this morning; found it to basically be a decent bagged black. I was pretty good on the infusion time, and didn’t find it terribly astringent, though assams are not generally my black of choice as I don’t care for the flavour profile. It had some strength, and flavour, but lacked in the chocolate/raisin/delicious black tea notes. Kinda stoked to have found a few of these teabags though; I may stash them somewhere useful in the event that I have a guest who wants “normal tea”, because I of course do not stock Red Rose or anything like that, and who wants to waste good Chinese blacks on such people? Haha.

Shanie O Maniac

I get that whole “normal tea” thing. I have one friend who only drinks pre-made instant and my mom thinks all tea is Lipton. So yeah, I keep some “normal tea” around for just such occasions. I think I may have convinced my mom to try a yunnan golden black once and if I recall her response was “It’s tea”. So frustrating.

VariaTEA

Honestly, I don’t remember this tea at all or sharing it.

Kittenna

@VariaTEA – I could be wrong, I just assumed since Sil mentioned in her notes that she got some from you. It definitely wasn’t something I picked up on my own, so my guesses were you or MissB, and she didn’t have a note on it!

Kittenna

@Shanie – yeah, we had some guests over and my mom/MIL were shocked that I had no regular tea to offer guests (we also didn’t have coffee, but my MIL brought some over because she knew that). Luckily, everyone who was over either wanted coffee or iced tea (Nestea powder).

I guess some people just can’t appreciate better teas… I used to think all black tea was like Lipton, but one taste of Laoshan Black changed that forever!

VariaTEA

It could have been me. I just don’t remember it lol

Kittenna

I suppose that just speaks to the genericness of this tea. Haha.

Roswell Strange

I also have some of this tea, which I got from VariaTEA :P

Lol apparently I was just giving it all away :P

Trying again with a shorter steep time. It still comes out very dark and bold. The smokiness is more in the aroma than the taste now. The bitterness has calmed, but it still stands up for itself. I bet I could get a second cup from these tea bags and have it come out even stronger than the first.

I wish the amounts of tea we fill in weren’t just in tsp or g. There should be a button for bags and tablespoons.

EDIT: Y’all, the caffeine in this is outta control. It’s going to be an herbal-only evening for me. Bzzzzz!

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 30 sec 24 OZ / 709 ML
Mastress Alita

I wish the tsp or g button let us do decimals. I nearly always do my grams as some odd measurement like 2.8g or 3.3 and it always rounds it off, not showing exactly how much tea I used.

Tabby

Yes! I had that same problem yesterday!

lizwykys

I didn’t even notice that until I read this! My 3.8 grams I logged earlier was rounded down to 3 (weirdly — why not up to 4?).Big difference.

Mastress Alita

Ya, it doesn’t even round properly, it just takes off your decimal amount. It’s very annoying.

Tabby

Agreed!

My sweet wife was due some merchandise credits at the Williams Sonoma store. She so very nicely picked up this tea for me with her credits.

Assam is not my favorite tea as I prefer the Chinese products over those from India. I can’t always find Assam teas that are robust enough for my palate. However, I always try to experience new teas with an open mind. Hopefully, this Assam will be a great one.

My container for this tea was different than the one in the picture. It was also metal but round with a narrower neck. The cap had a cool plastic and reusable inner seal underneath it.

The unbrewed short brown leaves had the familiar aroma of Assam. I steeped them for five minutes at 212 degrees. The finished product was the color of maple syrup. The smell was sweet and malty.

The flavor had a sweet malty edge to it. I thought I detected a slight twinge of astringency during the first sip but it dissipated quickly and didn’t return.

I liked this Assam. It had sufficient tea flavor to keep my taste buds interested. I enjoyed the sweetness and malty emphasis in the taste. Some Assams have just tasted like weak tea to me. There was no unpleasant bitterness in the brief aftertaste. If you also are on the fence about Assam, you might want to take a chance on this one!

Flavors: Malt, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML
NofarS

My favourite Assam as well :)

Stoo

It’s a good one for sure, NofarS! Thanks for your comment!

A friend of mine got me this as part of my holiday gift/care package when I was going through some rough times with my family. It’s not something I would have picked for myself because I am pretty picky about my straight black teas, though as far as blacks go, I have found success with Assams so I was hoping this would be the same. I took to brewing it but the directed parameters made me rather hesitant (3 mins in boiling water) especially when I saw the color of the tea getting very dark, very fast. So, I let the water cool and ended up brewing it for probably closer to 2 minutes. Unfortunately, despite the rich color, the result is pretty bland. What I am getting is a hint of smooth malt but overall it is coming off pretty monotone. Luckily I have many more tea bags to play around with in order to get this right.

We have been on a somewhat Assam-and-Breakfast-Tea binge lately at work. This tea now comes in one of F&M’s new caddies (check out the picture here: http://www.fortnumandmason.com/p-5173-assam-tea-assam-superb-tea-indian-tea.aspx). The caddy looks great, but I wish they had kept the old design. The new design is a nicer colour, and has an easier to open lid, but otherwise is useless. You can’t stack it in the cupboard like their old caddies, and it has zero useful tea info on it. Nothing about the tea’s provenance , about steep times or strength. The design, touted by F&M as a change for the better, is indicative of the alarming change that I’ve seen in the company over the last few years. Gone are delicious blends like Piccadilly Blend, Fountain Blend and others. The only blends now have “Royal” in their name, or are somehow tied to the royal family. Useful information has been scratched from the caddies, they’ve become ridiculously ornamented, and many of them are available only for a short period of time. F&M, in other words, have become a tourist trap filled with “British” souvenirs or grossly overpriced “speciality” tea, and no longer a place where I can send people shopping for tea and know that they can’t really go wrong.
That’s a shame, because they used to have wonderful teas, and they still sometimes do. This “Assam Superb” was a very very good, bass-y, malty, deep Assam, brewing almost black in colour, and taking milk with great aplomb. High in caffeine content, we’ve had it several times over the last week or so, as a morning pick me up. Recommended.