Irish Breakfast

Assam Black Tea
Malt, Tannic, Honey, Wood
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

• “I have a dear friend who loves rainy and cloudy days. She finds them romantic. I always think of her when it is cloudy, which is the only good thing I can find about repeated cloudy days. The sun...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tea of the morning here, what looks to be a nice broken leaf assam. I have gone through a few tins of this now and have always enjoyed it, especially for the price: $6.25/4 oz. I also like their...” Read full tasting note
  • “Wow, this was like a punch in the face. After it melted the paint off the walls I noticed a fruity taste. It smelled malty but I didn’t notice it in the taste. This is what I thought Irish...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tea of the morning….. Wow. Pow, right in the kisser. This one is strong. Of course I need to preface with the fact that I don’t like to add milk to my tea, so that will play a factor in my...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

100% Assam, like most traditional Irish blends, this is a good way to start your morning. Like cereal, it takes milk and sugar well. In contrast to other vendors, ours is a little more refined.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

Since I’ve been trying teas other than Assams, I was almost afraid to go to this blend. I am finding that what rules what I “want” each day in a cup is ruled by the astringency in the tea. Some days I find it easier to tolerate the dryness it creates in my mouth. But as I made a pot of East Frisian that was WAY too strong yesterday, I decided to power through my chicken-ness and have a cup of this….. As usual, there was no need to be chicken. This isn’t a high astringency blend of assams. It is a malty cup of goodness, especially on a chilly drizzly day….with milk and sugar as usual. Nom. I’m hoping it makes me feel more literary, as I have to go work on a writing class assignment now….

Flavors: Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

A strong black base with slight floral or fruity notes, leaves quite a dry feeling in the mouth, had with milk and 1 sugar.

My partner who is much more of a black tea drinker than I said it was her new favourite breakfast tea.

I would happily drink it with a meal, I don’t find it quite tasty enough to have on its own, my partner loved it so much she finished both of our cups.

It’s quite a jolt. Very strong. I think I’ve become spoiled, but I much prefer Mangalam FOP as my morning breakfast. Good, but not something I’d want to keep in the house again.

I know ashmanra is not on anyone’s payroll, but she is making a lot of tea vendors happy. Shortly after sampling Queen Catherine, I got an email from Harney offering discounts on their breakfast teas. A fan of black tea – I ordered. Several.

Harney’s Irish Breakfast is a brisk, malty Assam blend bursting with both flavor and aroma. Methinks there may be an “Irish Lunch” somewhere in my future…

ashmanra

A favorite of my youngest!

This a good, solid tea. Great for starting the day with. As with all the Harney’s I’ve tried so far, no bitterness. Full bodied traditional red. The only possible negative is that it seems the flavor comes through the best when made as a pot, as opposed to a single cup.

Flavors: Malt

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
ashmanra

Have you tried Big Red Sun yet? It is the same tea as Royal English Breakfast in sachets in the Historic Royal Palaces tin but loose leaf. I think you would like it.

cuddlesmom

I haven’t tried Big Sun yet but it’s on the list. Right now I have the Royal Palace blend in the pretty turquoise and white canister on order. Those canisters get me every time :) Thanks for the recommendation. I will let you know what I think of it.

It’s malty; it’s tannic. It’s not a bad tea, but I have sipped from the Fountain of Knowledge that is Yunnan black tea, and now I can’t return. This tastes pretty one-dimensional to me now. I find it better than Twinings, but that’s about all I can say for it.

I might still enjoy it oversteeped with some milk and sugar.

Flavors: Malt, Tannic

Well this is a nice slap in the face this morning. Damn that has a kick. I have learned as an adult to get up when the body tells you to get up, that maybe an hour before your alarm clock goes off, it maybe 30 mins. Never ever go back to sleep b/c you have an hour before your alarm will go off. This morning I ignored that tried and true logic. I am paying dearly. Waking up mid sleep cylce is pretty much like trying to start a car in -1000 degree weather. This cup is doing a great job of jumping starting the engine. Its got a kick but this is one of those cups where I think a little milk would make it a better cup. Not a love but a great cup.

Wow, this is STRONG! I don’t usually take milk or sugar in my tea, but after the first few sips, I knew I’d be making an exception. I can see why this is a morning tea – it will get you going for sure!

My first tasting note! I received my first Harney order yesterday, and was so excited I woke up at 6:30am to make this…odd, I know!
I made this in my breville one touch, and considering this very strong black tea I’ve been having(Yorkshire gold) this was a welcome start to my day. Malty, smooth and was great with milk and honey. I must not have cleaned the breville well enough last night after I made a pot of Hot Cinnamon as there was a faint taste of cinnamon, which actually worked quite well.
A great start to Saturday!

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML

Was a little sketchy about trying another new black tea since they never seem to taste how I expect, but this one surprised me! Why it’s kinda woody still, I can definitely taste the malt. Which is one of the things I like best about black teas!
This tea is strong, and yet kinda creamy. If I end up not buying more of this, I think I’ll at least enjoy the rest of the sample I got!

Flavors: Malt, Wood