Baked Bread, Malt, Molasses, Earth, Cinnamon, Honey, Oats, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

• “The dry smell packed with Keemum Congfu is a whoa of saltiness. This is one of those teas that actually makes you think of meat–charred, but deliciously so. All that smoke produces the effect of...” Read full tasting note
  • “I can’t believe I’ve never reviewed this tea as I’ve had a tin of it for a while and have drank it a few times here and there. It is a nice Saturday morning around our crazy house. My wife and I...” Read full tasting note
  • “This black is worth playing with steeping methods – gongfu and western give you different results, but both very complex. Gongfu (boil, 1g 15ml), I got a savory tea of chocolate mole, char,...” Read full tasting note
  • “This has been my tea of the week. I wake up thinking about it and am excited to get to work to make a cup. It has been the perfect addition to my morning. It even received tin status this week.” Read full tasting note

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

There are only three Chinese black teas that ever receive consideration as being a “classic” Chinese tea. One of those is the famed Tangyang Congfu created by the tea masters in the Tangyang Village of China’s Fujian province. We partnered with these famous tea growers and producers to bring you Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 5. This stunningly complex and varied tea has all the characteristics of an outstanding Chinese black tea: tightly rolled leaves, crystalline auburn/red liquor, sugary aroma and an unforgettably sweet taste that grows in complexity the more that it is steeped. We are honored to work with some of the most highly acclaimed tea growers and producers in the famous Tangyang village to bring you this extraordinary tea.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

The dry smell packed with Keemum Congfu is a whoa of saltiness. This is one of those teas that actually makes you think of meat–charred, but deliciously so. All that smoke produces the effect of the well-done-est burger you’ve ever had in your life. In the cup, it quiets down a bunch, like you’re getting the roasted veggies that came along as a side dish: caramelized carrots and sweet ‘tater fries.

Once you sip that first infusion, however, it becomes clear that this isn’t a stand-in for Five Guys. The deep amber liquor contains a smooth mouthfeel that could be rather conspiratorial–a mischievous wink and a nudge from… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

Bonnie

Sounds yum

TeaBrat

Do you remember how long you infused these for?

The Snooty Tea Person

No, I’m sorry! Only that it was a quick steep, between 30-90 secs.

I can’t believe I’ve never reviewed this tea as I’ve had a tin of it for a while and have drank it a few times here and there. It is a nice Saturday morning around our crazy house. My wife and I were able to sleep in a bit. The 12 year old is gone at her dads. The 7 year old is up in his room playing with Legos and the 1 year old is contentedly (for now) crawling around and playing. So, it is a rare moment where I am not having to cater to anyones immediate needs. My wife is getting ready to go to work though so I’m sure this moment will be up soon haha.

This tea’s dried leaf didn’t have a big smell to me. Actually, a bit of a fairly common black tea smell which, for me, usually smells like a mix of malt and cardboard. Doesn’t sound appealing, I know, but I’ve learned that the cardboard smell doesn’t necessarily equal cardboard taste. The dried leaves are small and thin but with a high quality look to them.

Upon a flash rinse (done to my blacks to try to knock down a bit of the caffeine), the smell rising up was a malty baked bread with a hint of sweetness.

A quick 10 second steep…The flavor of the tea is mostly the same as the smell with a slight hint of something… savory? I do mean slight though. Almost undetectable but just enough to give pause and try to discern what it is. There is certainly a warm brightness as well. The tea color is a wonderful burnt orange. It also pairs very well with a Great Harvest cinnamon bread ;)

There goes the wife to work, there goes the baby letting me know his displeasure, and there goes this review :) Overall, a wonderful tea that I will continue to enjoy.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML

Gongfu (boil, 1g 15ml), I got a savory tea of chocolate mole, char, bittersweet, molasses. Later steepings got brown sugar and malt sweet. It was never dry.

Western (190F 4g 10oz), the keemun was a meld of savory, fruity and sweet with a dry finish that wasn’t present in the gongfu steeping.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/05-keemun-congfu-joseph-wesley-black-tea-tea-review/

boychik

Love it. I do it both ways too

Mookit

Never knew the two steeping styles give such different results! I’ve always just done western for all my teas.

Shae

I just ordered a sample of this one! My box from Joseph Wesley arrived yesterday so this may have to be the first one I try. If you wake up thinking about it then it must be good. :)

you know they have promo 2015HOLIDAYS 20% off. im going to get tea for two set
two chawan and can of tea(your choice) $36 free ship. i think its a great deal!

Mike

Ahh, tin status, haha! I was thinking about upgrading a couple teas to a tin this week…love the term. :P

TeaTiff

@Shae, I hope you like it! It is a pretty good keemun. @boychik- I was eyeing these, but I have told myself no more tea until Feb! @Mike- I finally broke down and ordered a crap ton of H&S 4oz black tins. I love having my favorites in tins. Much easier access, then my sealed bags in a box somewhere.

Mike

Nice! I’ll have to invest in more…I have a few tins, but not nearly enough! I’m buying the Harney and Sons English Breakfast, and one or two teas at a local place near my sister’s house, then nothing until February, haha!

I haven’t been reviewing much but I was excited to get to try a few of joseph Wesley teas, thanks to a generous tea friend. This was the first I chose, and wow, now I know what I have been missing all this time – this tea is fantastic!
It brewed a rich and fragrant cup that tasted of spiced fruits and caramel with some smokiness and very light floral – so sweet, so tasty! Resteeped for a few cups which were all delicious.
This is a tea I would easily drink everyday!

SimplyJenW

I love this one, too! I had this today!

caile

yay! I was wanting to try this for quite awhile so was very happy – it was really good!

boychik

Yay! i love this tea too :)

caile

:)) It was such a delicious treat!

sren

Sounds amazing… Hello, wishlist!

caile

:) This is one I’m keeping on my wishlist!

looseTman

YUM! How does Keemun Congfu compare to TeaVivre’s Keemuns, especially their Premium Keemun Hao Ya? Thanks!

caile

It has been awhile since I have had Teavivre’s so I can’t really compare. I have the premium keemun hao ya on order from their recent sale though. :)

looseTman

Excellent! I look forward to reading your comparison!

Pulled this one out this morning – a lovely tea to start the morning off

This was a tasty keemun. It had some smoke, some fruit, and some caramel. Pretty good. The smoke lasted throughout several infusions. I probably would have preferred it to change a bit more, but overall, it was good.

Delicious!

Grabbed it with a bunch of my other blacks and put it near my bedside table near my tea/hot water maker as part of moving all meds and comfort items nearby because I am fighting a cold that could win at any moment… And last night was feeling like it may have. Happily this morning I’m back to fight-off symptom levels.

Grabbed this one to make out of just random, really… Looking over the packages gauging when I’d had this or that last, that sort of thing, and decided to go with this.

I’ve twice now at the Coffee & Tea NYC festival bought things from them and enjoyed, grabbed this with 2 last-year ones I liked.

So, on waking this morning I prepped and turned on my Breville with it and am having it.

First mouthful was an actual “yum!” thought in my head, the word. I’ll not go into all the colors and details this review as I know I’ll have it again and can then add more, but right now: molasses, orange color in back of tongue but not throat area, moderate brown richness on mid-tongue, and lots of little finer notes that will add. It’s a medium strength black.

Absolutely a buy again.

2.25g/6oz

Flavors: Molasses

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Another sample from the amazingly awesome Scribbles!

On first smell of the dry tea, I get strong vanilla and cake/pastry notes. Which I found odd for a keemun but I am keen to continue.

When the hot water first hit the tea, the smokiness of the keemun wafted up. It was sweet, slightly smokey.

In order, the first flavour notes I got from this tea were: malt, smoke, tobacco. Delicious. There are definitely light undertones of vanilla cake. The smokey flavour was quite light. There was a very natural sweetness to this tea, that complemented the smoke flavour. The tea liquor was thick, it was moderately bold, there was no astringency which was quite nice (and also a surprise).

My all time favourite teas are Assams, but keemuns do come in a close second.

Kittenna

I think Keemuns are one type of black tea I’ve never really been fond of – they’re always astringent. I might have to get my hands on some of this to try, because it sounds pretty good.

Think this is also my last sample from QueenOfTarts! Took me a while to get to this one since I wasn’t really sure about Keemum, but figured today seemed like a good day to try it finally.
I had a feeling it was gonna be really earthy, and I was right! XD
It’s super earthy…with slight, ever so slight hints of malt.
But that’s really all I’m getting :/ So not really disappointed since I didn’t have really high hopes for this one anyway, but didn’t really surprise me or anything.
Not for me!

Flavors: Earth, Malt

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Hello Ost, we just read that you didn’t enjoy our Keemun Congfu. I’m sorry to read this. Unfortunately, we do not have any aromatics or tisanes to offer. Only straight black teas. I wish we had something to offer that fit your preferences. With that said, thank you for trying our tea! -joe

Ost

You don’t have to apologize for your teas not being great on my taste buds. There are plenty of people that love this, I’m sure! This one’s just not for me and that’s fine! I like other straight black teas. Just not sure if Keemum is my thing is all. Glad I tried it though. (: