Chocolate Pu-erh

Pu-erh Rooibos Blend
Cinnamon, Cocoa, Nutmeg, Orange Peel, Pu Erh Tea, Rooibos, Vanilla Bean
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Nutmeg, Spices, Citrus, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Vanilla, Dirt, Earth, Tea, Moss
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

• “So, derk was going to send me a few pu-erhs to try. This turned into a sampler box with a huge variety! Thank you! The brewed tea has a very subtle smell, possibly the pu-erh. Ooh, subtle pu-erh...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you Derk! I had seen Derk’s review on this and wanted to try it but I just couldn’t pull the trigger on buying a box of it on Amazon. I admit I didn’t have too high expectations but I was...” Read full tasting note
  • “A not-so-guilty pleasure. Smells warm and decadent like a Mexican hot chocolate. Oh my. Not creamy. The flavors aren’t overwhelming and really complement the tea base which is fairly close to a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another sipdown. This is from the travelling teabox and I enjoyed trying the types of puerh from Numi. I’ve been eyeing these but didn’t want to commit to an entire box. I enjoyed trying this and...” Read full tasting note

From Numi Organic Tea

This velvety infusion combines black Pu∙erh tea and organic cocoa. Accented by whole vanilla beans and sweet orange peel, this decadent blend is rounded off with nutmeg and cinnamon for a spicy finish.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

The brewed tea has a very subtle smell, possibly the pu-erh.
Ooh, subtle pu-erh flavors and subtle cocoa flavor. Of course, I prefer a stronger cocoa flavor. looks at chocolate bar on his desk with 90% cocoa solids Still, I like how the flavors are in balance, and it’s pretty amazing for a bag of tea I could pick up in a grocery store. Mmm.

Flavors: Chocolate

Thank you Derk!

I had seen Derk’s review on this and wanted to try it but I just couldn’t pull the trigger on buying a box of it on Amazon. I admit I didn’t have too high expectations but I was really hoping it was going to be decent. I know I like Numi’s toasted rice sencha so wondered if I’d like this one too.

This is good. I really like it. Nice cinnamon, nutmeg notes, some other spices. I don’t really get chocolate per se (maybe cocoa dust) but I haven’t really found a chocolate tea that tasted like chocolate lol. I taste it more in unflavored teas, to be honest.

I’ll get a box of the teabags for traveling. :D

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cocoa, Nutmeg, Spices

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML
hawkband1

I like this one and their Emporer’s Pu-erh a lot. Very good for pu-erh available in grocery stores (and tea bags)!

Kawaii433

Right! I think this one would be great for those who want to drink Pu’erh for health but don’t like the usual fermentation notes too.

A not-so-guilty pleasure. Smells warm and decadent like a Mexican hot chocolate. Oh my. Not creamy. The flavors aren’t overwhelming and really complement the tea base which is fairly close to a black tea but with a shou puerh clean earth, mossy and mineral kick to it. Everything about this tea tastes very natural and inoffensive. A damn fine bagged tea and a real nice introduction for complete puerh newbies.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Kawaii433

That sounds good! I have never tried their Pu-erh.

Daylon R Thomas

Those helped me survive lectures at MSU lol.

gmathis

Going on the shopping list!

ashmanra

I always recommend Numi pu for tea newbies who really really want to try shu. It is readily available locally and requires no equipment (some of these folks don’t even own a strainer) and it is really is a decent tea.

Another sipdown. This is from the travelling teabox and I enjoyed trying the types of puerh from Numi. I’ve been eyeing these but didn’t want to commit to an entire box. I enjoyed trying this and would consider buying a box in the future.

Lots of earthy cocoa and cinnamon, citrus, vanilla. This isn’t sweet at all, so don’t think this will be desserty. I like it, though. It reminds me of 70% cocoa dark chocolate (bittersweet chocolate). This is very chocolaty and dark, but the spices are a nice addition too.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Citrus, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Spices, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 30 sec 19 OZ / 550 ML

Yum! I love having this after dinner because it tastes just like dessert without the guilt. Therefore I particularly enjoy having it with some vanilla ice cream!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Dirt, Earth

This is one of my favorites. I use both the bagged and loose-leaf versions Pu-erh purists will probably frown on this tea, but I’m not a big fan of pu-erh and this one doesn’t taste earthy. The blend of flavors works very well together, and I think the tea enhances the chocolate flavor.

This was my first foray into Numi’s Pu-erh and I wasn’t sure what to expect. When I opened my one pound bag (another good deal), I was surprised by the strong spicy aroma that burst forth. Having a mouth full of sweet teeth, I was hoping that the dominant smell would be chocolate. However, so far the chocolate was missing in action. There also were yellowish chunks of…something…mixed in with the muddy brown leaves.

I steeped the leaves for five minutes at 212 degrees. The brewed color was a very dark amber, close to brown. The aroma that wafted from the pot and cup was full of spice, similar to ginger.

At first sip, the flavor seemed almost like I was drinking liquid potpourri. After a few more gulps from my cup, I kinda, sorta, maybe, tasted very faint accents of chocolate. The one thing I am sure that I did not taste was the expected leathery and earthy presence of Pu-erh.

I also thought that the overall flavor could have been bolder. The taste had no astringency while drinking or afterward.

Give this selection a try if you are in the mood for a Pu-erh tea that doesn’t taste like a Pu-erh tea. If you are craving a strong Pu-erh offering that is bursting with chocolate flavor, you might be a bit disappointed.

Flavors: Chocolate, Spices, Tea

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 5 tsp 40 OZ / 1182 ML

I liked this one iced or hot oddly. My roommate actually thought it was weed based on the musty Pu-Erh smell, but was pleasantly surprised by the chocolate. I had a similar reaction, and it was like a creamier, mossy light hot chocolate. The flavor profile was inconsistent with each bag, which is why I rated this lower than I think it deserves at its best. There were times were it tasted only like cocoa dirt water, or times that I got the full flavors that are already described on this page. Not worth close to nine bucks, though.

I purchased a Numi sampler not too long ago, and the Chocolate Pu-erh really stood out. The chocolate was creamy and understated without tasting artificial or like a carob product, really excellent iced. I’m going to have to commit to a full package soon.

Flavors: Chocolate

I was really curious about chocolate and puerh hanging out in the same cup. It turns out they like each other :3 This tea honestly reminds me of Mexican hot chocolate. It has a nice creamy chocolate with a pinch of cinnamon and then an earthy note from the puerh.