Lewis Carroll's Black tea blend

Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

• “I didn’t check the ingredients for this one when I picked it, so the floral scent was very surprising! I’m not a big rose fan, but luckily violet was the dominating flavor. (I also cheated and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Discovery Advent Tea #14 We start off robust. Strong. My rose flavor. Like a rose a garden. But if you steep it too long it turns unpleasant. Like spraying perfume straight into your mouth.” Read full tasting note
  • “Additional notes:  So I did end up stocking up on a tin of this with my reward points a while ago. This is just dreamy on a hot summer day.  Caffeine kick with lovely lingering flavors of violet...” Read full tasting note

From Simpson & Vail

The man who would become Lewis Carroll was born as Charles Lutwidge Dodgson in January 1832. He spent his happy childhood under the tutelage of his Reverend father, and enjoyed creating fantastical stories for his ten siblings. It was not until after he had graduated university and became a lecturer of mathematics that he met Alice Liddell. He would entertain her and her sisters with the absurd stories that he later published as Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. His most famous novels conveyed a childlike look at the seemingly arbitrary rules and customs of adult society.

A tea party plays a memorable role in Carroll’s most celebrated novel as the setting for Alice’s nonsensical meeting with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare. “A large rose-tree stood near the entrance of the garden” where, as the Mad Hatter told Alice earlier, “it’s always tea time.” To make our Lewis Carroll blend, we added our fragrant violet flavor to an Indian Black tea and Rose Congou tea, a China black that has been scented with rose petals during the drying process, to create a deep amber cup with an incomparable bouquet and a flavor that is absolutely heavenly.

Ingredients: Black Tea, Rose Congou tea, flavoring, malva flowers.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

I didn’t check the ingredients for this one when I picked it, so the floral scent was very surprising! I’m not a big rose fan, but luckily violet was the dominating flavor. (I also cheated and tried not to scoop up much rose) I added milk and sweetener, and it’s like having one of those violet candies. Again, I’m not a floral tea person, so I would reach for this one very infrequently (but I would reach for it!) I think it does a really good job at accomplishing its flavor goals. The second steep is quite strong as well. Thanks for sharing this one tea-sipper! I’m really glad I got to try it.

Cameron B.

I love that they offer these literary blends! I’ll have to pick up the sampler next time…

AJRimmer

I think I’ve only tried 2-3 of the literary blends so far, but I definitely enjoyed them!!

Cameron B.

It’s a bit dumb that they only offer them in 4-ounce sizes…

AJRimmer

Yeah, they only sell some of their herbal blends in the 4 oz size too, so I just buy one or two on each order so I’m not overwhelmed. It’s a lot of tea!

Mastress Alita

It kills me they only offer some of their teas in 4 oz. sizes. Unless it’s a bulky, heavy fruit blend, that much leaf for just little ol’ me is not feasible.

tea-sipper

This is the rare one I bought a tin of, because it’s a great floral tea.

Discovery Advent Tea #14

Additional notes:  So I did end up stocking up on a tin of this with my reward points a while ago. This is just dreamy on a hot summer day.  Caffeine kick with lovely lingering flavors of violet and roses.   Reading outside, I feel like Alice waiting to fall into Wonderland… or at the mad tea party with all this crazy news lately.  But trying to enjoy my day while ignoring the news.   Please everyone stay safe for this fourth of July weekend.  I wish the best for all of you!

Edited to add: the second steep is just as flavorful. It’s really the perfect mix of florals and base of black tea. It might be my favorite floral black tea! Even cold, delicious.

AJRimmer

After my first order from S&V, I wrote reviews on their website to get points, but the points never showed up, so I stopped bothering. Of course I could have emailed them for help, but their tea is cheap anyway, so I decided not to bother with the points. Seems like their reward system is fairly generous when it is functioning though.

tea-sipper

Are you logged into your account when you post the reviews? I know it takes a couple days for them to go through and approve the reviews for the site so maybe that is why? I would e-mail them about it. Their customer service couldn’t be better, especially as they are such a small company. It’s certainly worth it when the reward points work.

AJRimmer

This was a few years ago, but I remember that I realized that I wasn’t logged in, so I logged in to write some more, but still received no points. Maybe I’ll try again!

tea-sipper

OH one other thing that is usually a problem for me, is S&V has a preview page before the submit button page, and sometimes I forget to hit ‘submit’ button, thinking the preview page is enough to get it through. Maybe that is the case for you?

AJRimmer

I looked through to see if my reviews are there, and it looks like the ones where I didn’t sign in are, but I don’t know about my later ones. Oh well, I’m having a slow day today, so I could work on some!

AJRimmer

Aha! I think I figured it out. I was logged in, but didn’t include my email address with the reviews. I just read the fine print and found out that’s required.

tea-sipper

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Glad you figured it out!