Vietnam Ha Giang Organic Black

Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

• “Saved a small portion of this from the tea box. There was a little bitterness, which I fixed with some sugar. It’s quite pleasant! I often add milk to black tea, but I didn’t need to for this one....” Read full tasting note
  • “Okay, this tea is insanely delicious. It tastes like a very expensive cup of tea and it definitely is not expensive from S&V. Wow. Just the complexity alone amazes me, and I will not be able...” Read full tasting note

From Simpson & Vail

Our Vietnam organic black tea comes from the Ha Giang province in northern Vietnam along the Tay Con Linh mountain range (at 1300, above sea level). Here lie the ancient forests of Shan tea that have been growing for hundreds of years. The area went through an economic revival in 2010 with a serious investment in the community. The goal of the investment was to achieve a better, higher quality tea using modern production techniques coupled with organic farming practices. This investment has more than paid off and the people living in this area have seen steady increases in production, quality and pay.

Shan tea is a specialty in this region and the investment helped farmers to preserve this tea. A nursery of seedlings was created and workers were taught how to use crop rotation, green manure and biological pest control to sustainably develop this tea. Monies were also put towards new production facilities to ensure a consistent, high quality leaf.

The black, slightly tippy, leaves of this Vietnam black tea brew up to an amber cup with a mild astringency and a smooth, slightly earthy taste. A delightful afternoon cup!

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

Saved a small portion of this from the tea box. There was a little bitterness, which I fixed with some sugar. It’s quite pleasant! I often add milk to black tea, but I didn’t need to for this one. It’s not the sort of thing that I would buy, but that’s what sampling from tea boxes is for!

Okay, this tea is insanely delicious. It tastes like a very expensive cup of tea and it definitely is not expensive from S&V. Wow. Just the complexity alone amazes me, and I will not be able to capture that complexity here. The fragrance of the dry leaves is something very different from the usual plain black tea, that I have not noticed before.. the smell is almost like what heated raisins might smell like? A fragrance I’ve never noticed in any tea! The leaf is on the smaller size with an occasional gold hint here and there. The flavor is intoxicating: I think it’s most similar to a really good assam: that slightly brisk, slightly fruity, sweet assam that I love to keep in stock. But this tea is more unique than that. It’s just so tough to capture the complexity of this tea. It has bite, but it’s also very sweet. Slight fruity juiciness but also a bready quality. I love teas like that and I will be keeping this one in stock. It might be one of those teas that are the fresher, the more complex the flavor (but that probably goes for all teas.) Is it enough for me to say it is so good? You should try some!
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// 13 minutes after boiling // 3 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // couple minutes after boiling // 4 minute steep

gmathis

Sounds perfect!

ashmanra

Sounds fantastic!

Mastress Alita

Vietnamese blacks are always soooooo good!

tea-sipper

Well, Mastress Alita, I ordered this because you wanted to try it since I needed fresh teabox ideas, so expect to be able to try some in the teabox. :D