Superfine Keemun Mao Feng Black Tea

Chinese Keemun Black Tea
Berries, Cherry, Plums, Spices, Butter, Caramel, Cream, Malt, Citrus, Sweet Potatoes, Raisins, Sweet, Honey, Chocolate, Fruity, Hay, Dark Chocolate, Grain, Molasses, Creamy, Floral, Wet Moss, Leather, Moss, Peach, Stonefruits, Toasty, Cocoa, Nutty, Dried Fruit, Smooth
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I made Gâteaux de Mamie Sunday afternoon, and paired it with this tea. Oh my goodness. What a treat. I haven’t had a really nice keemun in a while, and I need to drink up any remaining supplies I...” Read full tasting note
  • “While going through Keemuns from Teavivre I noticed that they were falling into two categories: aromatic with complex taste (Keemun Imperial Black Tea, Keemun Aromatic Snail Black Tea) and the...” Read full tasting note
  • “The hue is copper, golden, and orange. It is clear and appetising. So far I am loving the sample packs from TeaVivre, and this is no exception. It’s super-smooth. I’m going to keep this one short:...” Read full tasting note
  • “Prepared in a ceramic gaiwan and used my own parameters. Flash rinse. Steeping times: 10 seconds, 5, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 30, 90, 180, 360. You betcha I petted the leaves while I took in the aroma....” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

•Original Place: Qi men County, Anhui
•Tree Species: Zhuye
•Appearance: black, tightly twisted tea leaves interweave with tight and straight tips
•Flavor: smells of naturally sweet and a flower aroma, smooth and fresh. It also produces a rich flavor with the subtle undertones of delicately aged tea.
•Tea Liquid: reddish in color; at the surface of tea water a golden loop appears along the circle of inner side of tea cup.
•Spent Leaves: bright brown in color, shiny and neat

Keemum Mao Feng, one special variety of Keemun black tea origins from Qi Men County in Anhui province of China, has famous reputation for its peculiar aroma and shape. It has also been made widely familiar as one of the four world’s best black tea. It is carefully processed so that the shape of the tea leaves resemble that of the Mao Feng Green Tea. This is why it got the name “Keemum Mao Feng“.

With the thin and twisted strips of tea leaves and peculiar aroma (fruity mixed with orchid-like), those russet interwoven tea leaves look neat and taste wonderful.

Ingredients: Pure tea buds and leaves
Brew Guide: Brew at 194 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes.

About Teavivre View company

I made Gâteaux de Mamie Sunday afternoon, and paired it with this tea. Oh my goodness. What a treat. I haven’t had a really nice keemun in a while, and I need to drink up any remaining supplies I have in my stash because I plan to do some happy happy ordering as soon as the spring harvest teas become available.

This was steeped western style THREE TIMES. And the third steep still had lots of flavor.

Then tonight, I made chocolate covered strawberries for a little snacky with hubby and served this again. My husband doesn’t drink black tea without milk and sugar, but this one he did. Oh yes, he did. In fact, he had three cups and I had one. I think that means he liked it. And I think that means I should make another pot of tea.

While going through Keemuns from Teavivre I noticed that they were falling into two categories: aromatic with complex taste (Keemun Imperial Black Tea, Keemun Aromatic Snail Black Tea) and the strong Keemuns with the bite (Keemun Black Tea – Grade 2, Premium Keemun Hao Ya Black Tea). Finally, there is one Keemun that combines both of those desirable qualities, the Mao Feng.

It has a nice “expensive Keemun aroma” – plums, cherry, berry, spices. The tea color is interesting: not a usual red but red with some brownish notes. Finally, the taste is complex and reflects the smell well but this tea also has that strong breakfast-time kick. It can wake you up but with elegance and style. I like that.

It is still not my favorite Teavivre Keemun – I like the complexity of Imperial Keemun more – but this tea is probably better fits the expectations of what a good Keemun should be. Will order again.

Flavors: Berries, Cherry, Plums, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 5 tsp 100 OZ / 2957 ML
ashmanra

Just added Imperial Keemun to my birthday wish list!

The hue is copper, golden, and orange. It is clear and appetising.

I’m going to keep this one short: I am getting notes of caramel, a touch of malt, cream, and even a bit of a buttery flavour and mouth-feel.

This is a delicious one for sure. Not my favourite sampler so far but one that I would be happy to drink any time and own a large bag of (which might eventually happen!)

Flavors: Butter, Caramel, Cream, Malt

You betcha I petted the leaves while I took in the aroma. They’re so small and curly! They smell lightly sweet and fruity, and tannic like a dry red wine way. After I let them sit in the pre-heated gaiwan, they started smelling like honey and blackberry. Once washed with water, the aroma completely changes and smells like a typical hongcha, of cocoa and a hint of malt.

The liquor is ruddy orange, clean, full-bodied, bold with flavor, and smooth in texture. The flavors undergo a couple changes throughout the session. The first three cups taste of dark fruits. There is a sweet aftertaste. Cups four through seven taste of molasses and honey. There is delicate smokey note as well, and just a hint fruit in the background. Cups eight through twelve taste less complex, mostly tasting like molasses. There is also no more smoke.

Another solid hongcha from Teavivre. It doesn’t offer what I exactly love, but I did have a nice session with it and enjoyed the complex aroma and taste. Very nice quality. You might get something different out of this Mao Feng-like Keemun, given the varying experiences other people have had. Recommended for those who like or want to explore hongcha.

200 °F / 93 °C 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Thanks again, Angel and Teavivre!

This is the spring 2016 tea, and it’s tasty. I think it’s my first Keemun too. The main notes are caramel, citrus, and sweet potato.

Flavors: Caramel, Citrus, Sweet Potatoes

I’m still working on Lion’s Week of tea. I love black tea so decided to give myself a treat and open a sample I got with my last Teavivre order. Keemun is one of my favorite blacks, so I was looking forward to trying this.

This is a very good tea. The nose gives a strong chocolate aroma with a bit of leafiness underneath. The taste is similar, and the finish is really good: long and luscious. One result of such a long finish is that the tea seemed to improve as I drank it: each sip was reinforced by all the earlier sips. It has strong keemun character: a good example of the type. On an absolute basis, then, this is a very good tea. My only complaint is that on a comparative basis, the tea is only slightly better than keemun #1, which is a fraction of the price, and not IMHO as good as their Hao Ya, at about half the price. So, my real recommendation would probably be to try these other teas at lower price points unless you don’t really have to worry about price.

I used 1.5 g in 6 oz water for 3 minutes (4 min for resteep)

200 °F / 93 °C

The wet leaf of this has an amazing scent, and the brewed tea liquor tastes high and sweet with a caramel note, and a lovely malty taste and smell. It’s a mild tasting black tea, but has a lot of flavour in there – with hints of roast sweet potato, malt and honey. I’ll enjoy this as a nice, sweet, easy-drinking afternoon tea.

I used about 5g in a small gaiwan, using near-boiling water for 30-60s.

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

I haven’t been keeping up with writing tea notes with work and life and planning our upcoming Scotland trip, but I figured today I should get back into it and also review a new tea that I got a sample of quite a while ago from the lovely people at Teavivre. Many thanks for this sample!I

I brewed up this keemun for about 3 mins with 195 degree water. I usually prefer keemuns in the afternoon, but this one sounded right this morning to me! The steeped smell is bright and fresh, to me some red fruits, a hint of astringency (the good kind of astringency) and some malty cocoa notes.

As for the flavor, this is a rich, delicious tea. It’s rich, but the body is still pretty medium, so it goes down very smooth. The main notes are a lovely red wine flavor with a bready flavor and some more red fruits. There is also a mild cocoa note, slightly creamy with almost a mild buttery flavor.

Overall, I am very much enjoying this. With all the flavored teas I’ve been having lately, and gasp coffee (PSL season, ugh), this is a wonderful change and reminds me that pure teas still reign supreme and never fail to impress me. Thanks again to Angel and the Teavivre team for this lovely sample! Happy I have a few more packets of this :)

So I realize that it has been since June that I have done a tea review….what is wrong with me? Well….life. Let’s see my son Zebedee was born on June and work has been absolutely nuts. One day I’m in at 5:30 am the next it’s 9 or another time. Rarely is there a week where I’m not working 6 days straight and with DJ gigs sometimes is 16 hour days. It’s a challenging time right now in our house. Today I’m celebrating. It’s my birthday. I must have tea! Pulled this one out of the tea cabinet. I love a good Keemun. I opened up the sample and breathed it in! Leathery…malty…the qualities that are awesome about Keemun. It’s a good straight black definitely a good one to have on for number 36.

Fjellrev

Welcome back and happy birthday! Hope things will calm down a bit in your household. I’m glad you’re taking the time to sit down and enjoy a nice cup of tea.