Organic Zheng Wei Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Flowers, Freshly Cut Grass, Milk, Floral, Grass, Mineral, Orchids, Vegetal, Violet, Mint, Orchid, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Creamy, Cut grass, Gardenias, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Kawaii433

• “I cleaned out my online cupboard a bit today as I have sipped down a few teas recently. I am also shocked at how many teas I have not added to my cupboard and I just don’t feel like doing it right...” Read full tasting note
  • “My impressions are mostly in line with the other reviewers. It is a light, understated Tie Guan Yin. The dry leaf smells of green wood and grass. It is not luscious like many other Tie Guan Yins,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Flowery, perfumey, light milk aroma. Sweet and super light vegetal notes compared to other TGYs. More of a floral taste instead of green, no real fruit notes that I can detect. Subtle buttery notes...” Read full tasting note
  • “I took advantage of the free sample promotion that Teavivre was running a while ago to pick up three Tie Guan Yins, with the aim of choosing one to get me through until 2019. (Thanks, TeaVivre, for...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Producing area: Anxi, Quanzhou, Fujian

Dry tea: curled, bold, sand green Aroma: light flowery fragrance

Liquid: clear, light yellowish

Mouthfeel: light sweet, smooth and soft

Tree species: Tie guan yin tea plant

Tea garden: An Shan high mountain ecological tea garden

Zheng Wei Tie Guan Yin oolong tea has classic flower fragrance, without grassy notes, so it is suitable for those who are in fond of flower flavor.

About Teavivre View company

I cleaned out my online cupboard a bit today as I have sipped down a few teas recently. I am also shocked at how many teas I have not added to my cupboard and I just don’t feel like doing it right now, but this is one that I need to finish soon but had not been added, so here we go.

My husband and I had one of our gongfu cha sessions on the floor tonight with this. I used one teaspoon for my little pot, which holds about seven ounces fully topped up with no leaves in it, but about five ounces with big oolong leaves taking up space. We used boiling water.

The first steeps were very floral, had a wonderful aroma, and a mild taste. This is bery green with none of the charcoal baked flavor of strong mineral notes of some. As the steeps progress, the taste becomes even lighter and fades to notes of hay with soft greens.

I think next time I will use more leaf and see if it can make the floral notes grow and last longer.

I used to have mixed emotions about gongfu cha, but tea is changing me in a lot of ways. Instead of viewing the preparations and clean up as a chore – is it really worth it? Ugh! – it has become a peaceful part of the process and I enjoy the process from beginning to end as much as the actual tea making/drinking part. Filling the kettle, carrying the tray to the spot we have chosen, setting out the teaware, and choosing the tea, all are an integral part and bring me quiet contentment in my task. Washing the tea things, drying them, and taking my time carrying each piece back to its resting place instead of rushing to finish the job, is a pleasure. I am trying to carry that mindset over to other things that I must do, as well.

derk

The Process. It’s nice.

My impressions are mostly in line with the other reviewers. It is a light, understated Tie Guan Yin. The dry leaf smells of green wood and grass. It is not luscious like many other Tie Guan Yins, but clean and simple, like IKEA furniture. The wet leaves (I brewed it Western) add to it a bit of butter and asparagus/broccoli – not much. The taste is mild and understated: grass, orchid, some leafy vegetables. The best part of the flavors is the aftertaste that is also understated but long and pleasantly bitter and spicy. It resteeps well.

It is a perfect tea to sip slowly while doing some work on the computer or reading a book: it does not distract but adds some background depth and color to whatever you are doing. It is a humble tea that will not try to make a big splash and become the center of attention but instead is deeply content to be friendly, useful and quietly helpful.

I need more people like that tea. Or, rather, to become one of those people – but it is hard.
LuckyMe

Lol, Ikea furniture is a good metaphor for this tea

Flowery, perfumey, light milk aroma. Sweet and super light vegetal notes compared to other TGYs. More of a floral taste instead of green, no real fruit notes that I can detect. Subtle buttery notes in the early steeps. Very slight bitterness, some astringency on 2nd steep but not overwhelming. It makes it work, makes it interesting and delicious. On the 6th steep, cut green grass notes came out, with a slight vegetal aroma and the floral taste subsided a bit, became a little tart. Although light bodied, its complex, as it changes on each steep.

7g Tea, 212℉, 110ml, 7 steeps: rinse, 20s, 40s, 60s, 80s, 100s, 120s, 180s

Flavors: Butter, Flowers, Freshly Cut Grass, Milk

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 7 tsp 4 OZ / 110 ML

I took advantage of the free sample promotion that Teavivre was running a while ago to pick up three Tie Guan Yins, with the aim of choosing one to get me through until 2019. (Thanks, TeaVivre, for the free samples!) I steeped 7 g of leaf in a 120 ml teapot at 195F for 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 120, 180, and 240 seconds.

The first steep is fairly vegetal, with notes of orchids, florals, and grass. The slightly bitter aftertaste probably means that I used too much tea. In the next few steeps, the orchid gets more pungent and notes of butter, lilacs, and violets show up. The aftertaste is long, with no bitterness after the first couple infusions. The tea holds steady for about eight steeps before it starts to fade.

This was a very floral-heavy Tie Guan Yin that hit most of the right notes for me. However, I didn’t get any of the fruit that other reviewers mentioned. I didn’t find it all that complex and while it’s clearly a good tea that gives lots of steeps, there might be more interesting TGY’s out there.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Grass, Mineral, Orchids, Vegetal, Violet

195 °F / 90 °C 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

This super floral tea has soft notes of lilac, violet, orchid, and other sweet and mild flowers. Second steep has an aftertaste of mint that I quite enjoy. A tart note crept into the third steep; it has a “fresh” tang that makes me think of rhubarb, with maybe a hint of strawberry. As the cup cools the tart not fades and notes of butter and cream creep in.

Side note to self: don’t start a gongfu session at 10PM. It’s a waste of good tea. Things were just starting to get good too.

Steep Count: 4

(2016 Fall Harvest)

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Mineral, Mint, Orchid, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Violet

205 °F / 96 °C 5 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML
tea-sipper

Love this tea.

CrowKettle

Teavivre “guanyin” 2/14, and I think I’ve already sampled the good stuff. :)

This tea is a light oolong that is yellow in color and has a floral aroma. It tastes light, sweet, and has the flavor of flowers. If you like flowery TGYs you will probable like this tea.

Flavors: Flowers

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I am so behind on tea reviews! Honestly, all of my time has either been spent at the office, or out playing Pokemon Go with my husband and friends. We’ve worn blisters on our feet and every muscle in our legs is sore. We literally climbed a mountain yesterday to get to Pokemon at the summit. I’m going to look like a goddess by the time we finally catch them all!

Anyway, I think I’ve said it before, but Teavivre changed the way I see oolong. Their stuff is truly great. This tea is another very tasty example. The dry leaf smells sweet and fresh, with notes of springlike grass and vegetables. The little green nuggets hang out at the surface of the water before absorbing it and sinking to the bottom. Steeped, they are long and almost all whole.

The water comes out to a light yellowy tan, sort of like straw. There is that distinct oolong pungency in the aroma, but I know it will be more in the smell than the taste. After five minutes, the flavor is light but complex. I get sweet notes of flowers, grass, and a garden right after it rains. It’s very satisfying and light, with a tiny hint of creaminess. The floral taste reminds me of gardenias, but it’s subtle. Basically, this is something that would really cheer me up in the winter when I was missing spring.

Flavors: Creamy, Cut grass, Floral, Gardenias, Sweet

Thank you for the samples Angel at Teavivre!
This was an incredibly smooth cuppa. It was fairly green with lots of vegetal and buttery notes. It is very floral but not cloying or soapy in any way.
It is delicious of course.
The resteeps are possibly even more enjoyable than the first cuppa

TeaVivre

I’m so impressed about its floral fragrance in each steep.

Sipdown! I had one more packet left from Teavivre (thank you for the sample!) and passed it down to a friend. Hope she’ll enjoy it too. I wouldn’t personally buy this one but it was a refreshing, green oolong.

Unlike some of the other oolongs I’ve sampled from TeaVivre in the past, this tea has a more monotone flavor, tasting mostly of fresh picked flowers. It lacks the depth some of their other offerings have and I find myself missing the notes of hay, vanilla, and sweet fruit that some of my favorites, such as their Anxi Monkey King Tie Guan Yin, bring to the table. While this classic style of Tie Guan Yin isn’t as flavorful, it does have a fabulously smooth, almost butter mouthfeel and slight sweetness that I’ve found quite addictive. This tends to dissipate slightly with each resteeping of the leaves, but the faintest hints are still noticeable, even after the sixth steeping. The fact that this tea can be steeped so many times alone will insure that I’ll order it again, it’s a great choice when economy is something to consider, although I will admit it’s not my favorite of the Tie Guan Yin teas that TeaVivre has to offer.

You can read my full review on my blog: