Organic Jinhao Golden Tip Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Cherry, Clay, Cocoa, Malt, Vanilla, Wood, Baked Bread, Rye, Toast, Raisins, Caramel, Resin, Sweet, Black Pepper, Earth, Pepper, Rose, Spices
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Longlin County, Baise City, Guangxi, China
Dry Leaf: Well twisted strips covered in golden tips
Aroma: Pekoe flavour, notable fruity aroma (litchi, mango, longan)
Liquor: Bright and clear, orange-yellow in color
Taste: The sweet aroma is introverted and long-lasting,
with notable floral and fruity fragrance;
sips come in sweet and refreshing taste, smooth and soft
Tea Bush: Bai Hao Tea Tree
Tea Garden: Yaming tea garden
Caffeine: Moderate caffeine (less than 20% of a cup of coffee)
Storage: Store in airtight, opaque packaging; in cool, dry place
Shelf life: 36 months

About Teavivre View company

The aroma oddly reminds me of a Cherry Vanilla Coke. The flavour fulfills the promise made by the aroma but the soda has gone flat and woody. The cocoa/chocolate note is prevalent and dark.

All-in-all, it’s not my favourite Chinese cocoa-black tea (yes, that’s my special name for them), but it’s still a lovely cup to cozy up to on a rainy fall day.

Steep Count: 3

(2017 spring harvest)

Flavors: Cherry, Clay, Cocoa, Malt, Vanilla, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Kinda hurried today, but these are my thoughts on this one:

For the first few steeps, I get primarily freshly baked bread with a touch of chocolate. After the third steep, there’s more of a honey-like flavour. Deliciously smooth throughout, with no bitterness or astringency. First steeps around 2-3 minutes, later ones around 3-4 minutes, always in boiling water, no additions.

Another excellent tea from Teavivre, would absolutely, definitely purchase again.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp
Fjellrev

Sounds mightily lovely!

This tea has a nice bready aroma. Its taste reminds me of buttered rye toast. It is good, but a little too bready for me.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Rye, Toast

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Third steep. All of the steeps have gone down so easily. Not bitter or astringent, just smooth and tasty. Even without milk and-or sugar. I’ve got one serving left in my sample pack. It’s a definite favourite, and once I have a little money flowing again, this is one that is going to be ordered in a larger size.

1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I did a red tea tasting:

This was a very fluffy and large leafed tea. The fuzzy golden curls gave off a baked bread aroma with sweet coco, cherry, and vanilla mixed together. The tones were very sweet and smooth. I warmed my gaiwan up and placed these inside. The aroma inside my gaiwan reminded me of angel food cake and cherry coke. The scent was sweet but “bite-y”. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The drink was smooth and easy to sip on. The texture was thick on the tongue and had a sweet “breadiness” to it. The base was of soft wood along with caramel and resin on top. The next steeps cause the tea to get a bit maltier, but it still carried a good smooth taste. I liked this tea.

It’s multiple photos, so you have to scroll to see them all:

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Cherry, Malt, Resin, Sweet, Vanilla, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This was another free sample from Angel at Teavivre thank you!! As it’s a Saturday, I figure it’s early enough for me to have a black tea. This is my pick, I brewed it Western Style for 3 mins with 195 degree water.

The smell is honeyed and reminiscent of a golden tip tea, which is good. It smells pretty light, not overly rich which is good. Wanted something warming yet not too heavy as it’s the first tea of the day.

As for flavor; this is good! It’s different – the honey notes of other golden tip teas is there but it’s overall lighter in effect. There is a fruitiness, some type of dried fruit, with a light astringency enhancing that flavor. Just what I wanted this morning- a lighter textured Chinese black tea :)

Overall, I like this, it’s just different enough from my other black teas that it’s a refreshing change. It reminds me of warmer days, something like spring. It is also melding spectacularly with my breakfast of steel cut oats, which I sweetened with honey, it’s not overpowering but a good match. Thanks again for the sample Angel!

ScottTeaMan

MissLena, did you forget to rate your tea? :D

MissLena

@ScottTeaMan, nope! I have taken to not rating free samples :) just a personal preference!

My goal this year is to write one review per day. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to keep on this, but we shall see….

I wanted to drink 4-5 teas yesterday (and I had); however, I cannot recall anything from the sessions had with the exception of this and another tea.

As I read through my notes on this session, I noted that I hadn’t followed the brewing instructions (194 F for 3-5 minutes). I’m assuming this would’ve been more excellent brewed western style (?); however, I threw the entire sample into my 150 ml Gaiwan at 195 F water w/quick steeps.

I had notes of cocoa, dried plum (?), raisins, malt, and the tea having a thick body.

I’m usually skeptical with brewing black tea and/or having a black tea. 90% of the flavors out there are usually rated at an average 0-60 for me; however, the 10% that remains is usually on the higher scale from 80-95%. It really has to be good for me to consider it, or to truly enjoy it. And despite the ratings of this tea, I think I’m one of the few that likes it as much as I do. There are notes beyond the maltiness (which I must say malt is what turns me off from black tea—cough Assam cough) that gives this tea a unique balance within the black tea spectrum. However, it isn’t as highly favorited as say, Laoshan Black, but it is on the higher end of my rating scale (75%; average). Overall, I like it. I’d drink it from time to time, but it’s neither a daily drinker nor a ‘never have again’ tea.

Thank you for the samples, Teavivre! Another solid black tea from Teavivre. The dry leaves are very unique — they look like wild tea with HUGE, wiry leaves, tangled together in shades of black and gold. The scent of the dry leaves have a hay-in-the-field quality. The flavor is a little like that as well, with a medium flavor strength and starchiness (like sweet potatoes!) I’ve been really enjoying the sweet starchy aftertaste of black teas lately! The first time I had this tea, I didn’t think I used enough leaves. But I think because the leaves are so huge (the biggest leaves I’ve ever seen in a tea) the tea has a lighter flavor from the big leaves, just like a CTC tea has a stronger flavor because of the tiny leaves. But stronger does not mean better. Since I probably used a teaspoon more on the second steep session, the steeps were richer in flavor, though still tough to pick out individual flavor notes each time. Simply a satisfying black tea. I think I used close to Teavivre’s parameters minus a teaspoon. I wouldn’t say this is the best black tea from Teavivre, but it is VERY hard to decide which is the worst.
Steep #1 // half of a sample for a full mug// 12 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep

Got this as a sample from Angel at Teavivre. :) I was really excited to try all of the teas I was sent, but I went with this one first, because I was looking for a black tea at the time. Anyway, the dry lead smells lightly… fruity? I can’t quite put my finger on it.

The flavor is… all right. I tried this tea on two separate occasions, thinking the first time was just a fluke. Maybe I didn’t use enough leaf? The second time I know I used more than the first… but I just can’t coax much flavor out of this tea. I steeped it according to the directions, which is even longer than I normally do with blacks. For some reason, it just tastes like hot tap water to me. :/ I want to like it, so perhaps I’ll try it again, with different parameters. Stay tuned.

TeaVivre

Maybe you can try it with Gaiwan:

5g tea, 90℃, rinse,10s,15s,20s,30s,40s,60s

teataku

Thanks! I don’t currently own a gaiwan, but I imagine I could replicate the process fairly easily with some of my equipment I have here. I’ll give it a go.

Organic Jinhao golden tip black tea by Teavivre.

Review:

Ru Yao dragon teapot, gongfucha.

Dry leaf: toasty, spices, pepper.
(Forgot to take picture)

Wet leaf: spices, pepper, earth, toasty.

Light steep; I taste/smell: (smell) slight —> pepper, spices. (Taste) light -→ earth, pepper, spices, toasty.

Medium steep; I taste/smell: (smell) light —> pepper, spices, earth, roses. (Taste) medium -→ earth, clay (?), roses, pepper, toasty.

Heavy steep: same as medium, except for the addition of medium raisins to the taste.

All in all a decent tea despite black teas not being my favorite. Decent tastes/aromas, decent chaqi. I rate a 75.

Where to buy: http://www.teavivre.com/organic-jinhao-golden-tip-black-tea/