2012 Baotang Raw

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Smooth, Sweat, Wood, Almond, Anise, Dark Wood, Earth, Eucalyptus, Hay, Honey, Menthol, Sweet, Tobacco, Camphor, Floral, Mint, Smoked
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 5 oz / 156 ml

2 Images

From The Essence of Tea

2012 Baotang Raw 400g
Baotang is located in the Mengsong region of Menghai. This tea is produced from trees averaging around 300-400 years old in cooperation with a local friend from Menghai, who stayed in the village for 2 months this Spring, setting up a hand-processing workshop and processing the fresh leaves himself.
The qi is very strong and the liquid is medium-thick in the mouth and throat, inducing saliva. The flavour is clean and fresh with a medium bitterness. As of Sept 2014, it seems to be progressing well. It is becoming smoother and richer & evolving into a very good quality, powerful tea.
The evolution of this tea is interesting. When we bought it, we were advised that tea from this area really takes a few years to come into its own. This has certainly been true of this tea – the first few years were quite changeable for it, but it has now settled. The thick, pure tea liquid is very pleasant to drink and the strong energy continues to be a powerful point of appeal.

About The Essence of Tea View company

This tasting note is going to be short sorry!

I’d really say that this tea is wonderful for those who are accostumed to ripe puer and would like to start drinking raws, or the other way around. It’s a raw that has very comforting darker notes, such as vanilla, and almond, and some toasty flavours too. It’s like the perfect puer for a cold winter day, sat right next to the fireplace.

I couldn’t finish my session as I had to leave before I was finished, but from the 3 steepings that I did get in I’d argue that this is a very very good tea.

Very smooth with a slightly bitter sweetnes and a great Qi.
Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2012-baotang-eot

Flavors: Bitter, Smooth, Sweat, Wood

10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I received a sample of this from a good tea friend. It was quite good. The first few steeps were a mix of bitter with leather and tobacco, all the while a sweet note trying to come through. The leather and tobacco were not incredibly strong like in a YQH tea. This tea evolved into a nice sweet tea although I am not sure what to call the note. If I ever order from EOT this one is on the top of my list.

Steeped this twelve times in a 100ml gaiwan with 7.3g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min.

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This was a gift from a friend, and I think it is wonderful!

The leaves are very dark and incredibly aromatic. The wet Malaysian storage has done wonders to the this tea. The scent begins with minty camphor, fresh hay, mulch, and sweet pipe tobacco. I warmed up my shibo and placed what I had inside. The scent opens and builds into a dark green eucalyptus aroma. A strong backdrop of pipe tobacco rises along side some anise; the mixture of smells were very strong. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. First, the steeped leaves give off a sensational aroma of honey roasted almonds. Second, the taste begins warm and sweet at the forefront. A thick honey taste covers the tongue along with a favorable huigan. This brew is nice and sweet. A slight earthiness rises later on along with a rough wood tone. The qi is killer. An intense drowsing effect takes over my body. The smooth woodsy brew drowns me with a balance of bitter tobacco, cooling menthol, and honey desserts. I brewed this until the liquor was clear. It was a delicious treat.

Note: I have the 2013 bao tang from Tea Urchin, and this tea is a wonderful comparison to educate on how drastic and important storage conditions really are.

Flavors: Almond, Anise, Dark Wood, Earth, Eucalyptus, Hay, Honey, Menthol, Sweet, Tobacco

9 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
mrmopar

This is a fine tea for the price. It is right up my alley.

Haveteawilltravel

It’s nice to find an interesting tea out there.

tanluwils

Out of all the EoT samples I’ve had, I would have chose this one had it not been for that overpowering prune/medicinal aroma and flavor that seems to dominate everything I have received from EoT. I wish I could enjoy the same notes everyone else has been.

This one deserves another review. Sampling this one that had undergone mrmopar’s storage motivated me to order an entire cake to air out in my pumi for a few years. My other cakes have responded well to my plastic container storage, so I figure why not.

Upon smelling the wrapper, I knew I wouldn’t have to wait at all. Perhaps having had over 2 full years to acclimate in Malaysia has resolved the issues I had with the storage smell of EoT’s sheng cakes. There’s nothing off putting here. Instead, the undesirable prune-like smells are replaced by soft cedar and dried fig notes in the aroma.

The tea vibrates in the mouth, leaving behind pleasurable and pronounced cooling and tingling sensations that spread in the mouth and throat, which lasts far into the later steeps. This is my favorite characteristic of this tea, and EoT believes this is enhanced by Malaysian storage. I don’t feel the qi on this tea as intensely as others do, but I do feel its clarifying and uplifting effects. It’s a young tea, but it already exhibits mid-aged notes of complex woods (cedar, sandalwood, oak), green apples, dried figs, cloves, and leather.

I’m happy to be able to finally enjoy this tea as it is.

Working this one up tonight. I bought this after tasting a sample of it a while back. Mengsong material is usually pretty decent.
I grabbed 11 grams out to start with and gave it a rinse and a little sit time.
Wet leaf you can pick some hints of floral but subdued and there is some smoke in there as well. The tea brews a nice aged golden color in the cup.
It starts out fairly thick and seems to rattle around in the mouth a bit. It is a pretty strong brew with the mintyness and camphor and bitterness rolling around in there. It is not as strong as a Bulang area tea but it is quite strong. Letting the cup cool a bit the bitterness can really come to the front. I see this one doing quite a few quick steeps as I am already 8 in and the leaf keeps giving. The aged profile of this will make you think it is a few years older than it actually is.

Flavors: Bitter, Camphor, Floral, Mint, Smoked

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 11 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
tea123

Better than the 2008 Bulang? ;)

mrmopar

I never had the chance on that one. It was gone away I heard good reviews of it though.

tanluwils

I think after comparing your sample with the newly arrived one I’ve convinced myself to grab a cake.

mrmopar

I think it is a good cake for the price.

tanluwils

Have you tried Teaurchin’s Baotang?

mrmopar

@tanluwils I have. I have a cake aging away. I may need to put it side to side. I think the EoT was a bit more punchy if I remember right.

tea123

I bought a cake of this and it certainly is punchy!

tea123

Thanks. Yes I remember now commenting that you said it was similar. Very interesting.

mrmopar

I have a good hookup on a good price on this one too.