Kenya 'Rhino' Premium White Tea

White Tea
White Tea
Floral, Fruity, Licorice, Malt, Sweet, Almond, Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Cucumber, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Fig, Hay, Herbs, Honey, Lemon, Marzipan, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Plums, Wood, Cotton Candy, Sweet Potatoes, Grain, Smooth, Thick, Sugarcane, Citrus, Creamy, Custard, Cake, Hot hay, Kettle Corn, Maple, Maple Syrup, Tangy, Butter, Honeysuckle
Edit tea info Last updated by What-Cha

• “I haven’t tried that many teas, as im still taking my baby steps in the tea world, but this is the best so far. Its a delicate white tea flavour, but with lots other strong flavours and a medium...” Read full tasting note
  • “One of several reviews I have needed to post for a while, I finished off a 10 gram sample of this tea somewhere between one and two weeks ago. I don’t know why I never got around to posting a...” Read full tasting note
  • “I made this in the Tea press which it sat in all day cuz no food and caffeine, combined with work stress, is not a great combo. I had one sip at work and that was delicious and now I’m drinking it...” Read full tasting note
  • “The dry leaf has a punchy sweet apricot aroma. The brewed tea has a sticky pudding sweetness aroma with baked plum and molasses on the finish. The tea has a sweet white tea flavour which...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Product description not available yet.

About What-Cha View company

Its a delicate white tea flavour, but with lots other strong flavours and a medium thick mouthfeel going on. Can’t really compare it to other teas.
A slight astringency, no bitterness at all.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Licorice, Malt, Sweet

One of several reviews I have needed to post for a while, I finished off a 10 gram sample of this tea somewhere between one and two weeks ago. I don’t know why I never got around to posting a review here on Steepster in the meantime. It is perhaps most likely that I simply prioritized other reviews and this got placed on the back burner until now. I know that this was a tea I had built up in my head, perhaps to an unreasonable degree. Prior to acquiring and trying it, I had seen a number of incredibly positive reviews for it in several places, Steepster chief among them. How did it hold up for me? I found it to be an excellent tea, though I was a bit taken aback at first. As others have implied or outright stated, this is a white tea that does not have all that much in common with other white teas.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 7 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 7 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted a powerful mix of plum, apricot, autumn leaf pile, hay, honey, and cucumber aromas. After the rinse, I began to note emerging scents of roasted almond, cream, malt, honey, and molasses. The first infusion then brought out hints of caramel and eucalyptus on the nose. I found notes of cream, malt, hay, and autumn leaf pile immediately in the mouth. They were quickly balanced by notes of molasses, caramel, roasted almond, apricot, and plum that were chased by something of a cooling eucalyptus note on the finish. There was also a surprise hint of cocoa at that point that quite literally came out of nowhere. Subsequent infusions brought out new notes of orange, lemon, vanilla, fig, wood, marzipan, and minerals. The eucalyptus presence grew stronger in the mouth. I also began to note a subtle, belatedly emerging cucumber flavor and interesting notes of fennel and basil that joined with the eucalyptus on the finish. The later infusions had more to offer than anticipated. I found lingering impressions of minerals, caramel, wood, malt, and roasted almond balanced by cooling touches of fennel and eucalyptus and vague hints of citrus and autumn leaves.

An incredibly interesting, complex tea with a ton to offer, I can see why so many people adore it. While I enjoyed it tremendously as well, I do have to opine (more nitpick) that it was almost too much at times-I was a little overwhelmed in several places. In a lot of ways, it was almost as if the producer had somehow taken a traditional white tea and an extremely mellow hong cha and smashed them together, somehow coming out with an almost perfect blend of the two. This was most certainly not a white tea in the vein of the classic Chinese white teas I have tried, and as such, I could easily see it being used to rope in those who tend to avoid white teas. If you try one white tea this year, make it this one.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Cucumber, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Fig, Hay, Herbs, Honey, Lemon, Malt, Marzipan, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Plums, Wood

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I made this in the Tea press which it sat in all day cuz no food and caffeine, combined with work stress, is not a great combo. I had one sip at work and that was delicious and now I’m drinking it with my bacon and eggs dinner. Even after 12+ hours I can tell this is awesome. Full flavored like a black tea and yet flavor notes often found in white teas, I.e. corn. Yum!

The dry leaf has a punchy sweet apricot aroma.

The tea has a sweet white tea flavour which intermingles well with the different flavour notes. Cotton candy sweetness on the tip of the tongue on the sip. Plum fruity notes throughout. A hint of floral bouquet. Molasses on the aftertaste.

Flavors: Cotton Candy, Floral, Molasses, Plums

Evol Ving Ness

Wow. Fascinating flavour array. And on the list it goes. :)

It goes without saying that this is my birthday tea pot to myself. It’s the best, and I’m so glad I have it in my life right now.

(2017 Harvest)

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Hay, Lemon, Malt, Molasses, Sweet Potatoes

happy birthday! and what a great tea to pick :)

VariaTEA

Happy birthday :)

mrmopar

Happy Birthday!

CrowKettle

Thanks, everyone :)

ashmanra

Happy birthday, belatedly! May your year be blessed and joyful!

CrowKettle

Thank you, ashmanra!

Another sample from Hoalatha. Couldn’t wait to try this tea out of sheer aroma-driven curiosity. It smelled like fruit loops. Straight up. I’ve definitely had grainy and cereal-y teas before, but this was my first time having a tea that smelled of one so specific!

This tea steeps up nice and golden with a thick texture and sweet flavor that exudes fruit loops and more of that cereal graininess. In the following steep, a darker sweetness and malty, fruity flavors emerge. Really, really enjoyed this one!

Flavors: Fruity, Grain, Smooth, Sweet, Thick

Ordered a sample of this with my first what-cha order, and I was pleasantly surprised!
The dry leaf smells like birthday cake/lemon ice cream, very pungent and delicious smelling just like a dessert. I was a bit concerned that it would brew up tasting very different, but luckily the liquor tastes exactly as I thought it would.
Sweet, creamy, custard, lemon, and thick. Like a lemon egg custard or fresh lemon cream cheese frosting, or even halo top’s lemon ice cream.
I brewed this at 190 with infusions that were very very short considering it was a white I didn’t want to push it too far and risking it turning bitter. Luckily the 5-10 second infusions were the way to go.
By the fifth or so steep it starts leaning more towards butternut squash, still good and but not as sweet and a little more savory and starchy (but not unpleasantly so)

I only have 10g of this (5g now!) but I’ll definitely buy a 50g pack with my next order from what-cha. This immediately goes on my “to buy” list, and I’m not even out yet!
Described in one word: Delicious!

Flavors: Citrus, Creamy, Custard, Fruity, Lemon

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Delicious citrus oil-like notes with a round white woody flavor. Maybe slightly like hay. I want to call this like a Kenyan Grey.

Let me be the ten millionth person to say that this is white tea that tastes nothing like a white. But as someone who loves sweet black teas, it was a perfect choice for me. You know who you are, thanks for the sample!

The first steep was vastly different than the rest. It was sweet peaches and honey with a pollen kind of taste that reminded me of orange blossoms. There was also a light caramel flavor, and something reminiscent of juicy fruit gum? It was bright and sweet. There was no bitterness whatsoever, but maybe the slightest, slightest hint of astringency at the very back of the throat that dissipated quickly.

The second steep on got darker in flavor, but no less pleasant. It becomes a little sweet potatoey, with some earthiness thrown in there. Maybe it was all about the butternut squash; it’s difficult to be sure.

I brewed a couple of steeps at 175 and lower, and it become mineral, losing all its sweetness. I wouldn’t recommend it that way.

Guess what guys… This is my 4000th tasting note!

Holy shit that snuck up on me; I remember somewhat around tasting note 3300 or something I was trying to plan for distant future so I could pick a memorable tea for tasting note 4000 but then BANG 4000 is here already just like that!

I think this is a good pick for 4000 though; I LOVED Butiki’s White Rhino tea and I’m really happy to get the chance to try another company’s offering. It’s such a unique and memorable varietal because it’s white tea that really ISN’T white tea. Both in flavour and how you brew it. Instead of that 70-80 degree range, I definitely used near boiling water for this one ’cause I just know that it can take the heat. Literally; in this case.

And shit guys; it’s like drinking Butiki’s White Rhino all over again. Someone catch me; I’m swooning so hard right now I may just injure myself. I wish I had in real life tea friends who could share this excitement with me. It’s both nostalgic and new and exciting!

There’s so much going on with the flavours; I’m not even sure where to start. I guess I could just list ‘em? I mean, firstly the tea overall has that same Hot Cross Bun/Easter Bun flavour that I found so poignantly distinct to Butiki’s White Rhino. It’s REALLY cool that it’s translating to this one too. Sweet sugary dough/bread, that kind of icing-y stuff and glaze, soft cinnamon, raisins, and fruity undertones? Mmmm; all there! Apart from that, there’s also thick notes of hay, some yummy malt in the finish, honey, and sweet potato! Maybe even a sliver of cocoa; but that element is quite light. It all comes together to create something so rich and smooth. Easy to finish the full mug without realizing it/even starting the tasting note you were planning on writing alongside drinking it. You know, hypothetically of course…

This was a good choice; and after a day of pretty mediocre tea overall this was a GREAT note to end on. And yeah, holy shit, 4000 tasting notes! That’s totally INSANE. And it’s only been like three years since I’ve been on Steepster, eh? Rounding a bit, that averages to like four tasting notes a day!? Man I don’t even know how to feel about that…

Also, a song pairing ‘cause that’s just sort of my thing now:

I actually tried SUPER hard to find the perfect, meaningful song to drink with this both to fit the tea but also the landmark tasting note. I struggled doing that and then eventually gave up searching. Instead I just put my playlist on shuffle, and settled into this one. It actually wound up feeling quite fitting…

tea-sipper

Happy 4000! And a tea like White Rhino is definitely deserving of 4000. :D

thanks for reminding me about this replacement…i’d forgotten about it! and grats on 4k!

Mookit

That’s an amazing amount of tasting notes, congrats!

Inkay

Congrats on 4000 notes! And based on this one, I’ll have to give White Rhino a try.