Vietnam 'Red Buffalo' Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Sugar, Sugarcane, Toast, Almond, Apple, Apricot, Butter, Cedar, Dates, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Nutmeg, Osmanthus, Peach, Pine, Raisins, Rose, Vanilla, Fruity, Red Fruits, Roasted, Smooth, Wood, Floral, Grass, Sweet, Spices, Creamy, Spicy, Caramel, Medicinal, Dried Fruit, Toffee, Nuts, Cream, Honeysuckle, Cocoa, Coffee, Flowers, Citrus Fruits, Herbs
Edit tea info Last updated by What-Cha

• “068/365 Another from Dark Matter. It feels good to be finally getting around to these! I went with another oolong today after yesterday’s success. It’s not something I’d usually pick out, but while...” Read full tasting note
  • “I prefer greener oolongs, so I’m not rating this oolong. I felt it was weak, will try to gong fu it next time I brew. It does taste honeyish with no astringency. Will adjust rating after gong fu if...” Read full tasting note
  • “I can’t really place the smell of this tea. It tastes kind of like a spice cupboard, you know the mixture of all these different smells and powders. The first wash is crazy, it has a wonderful...” Read full tasting note
  • “Autumn 2016 harvest. Revisiting this tea, and I remember why I ordered more. It isn’t pretty – twiggy and rough-rolled, but it redeems itself in the flavor and texture. Juicy and sweet, with that...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A brilliant oolong tea with a creamy smooth texture and delightful honey taste.

Sourcing
All our Vietnamese teas have been sourced by Geoff Hopkins of Hatvala, who regularly travels Vietnam in search of the best teas, all of which are sourced direct from the tea producers.
It is Hatvala’s mission to raise awareness of the high quality Vietnamese teas which are often overlooked on the world market and it my pleasure to assist by making Hatvala’s full range of Vietnamese teas available on What-Cha.

Tasting Notes:
- No bitterness or astringency
- Smooth creamy texture
- Sweet honey taste

Origin: Moc Chau, Son La Province, Vietnam

Tea Trees: Tea Estate
Tea Varietal: Camellia Sinensis var. Sinensis
Cultivar: Thanh Tam (Qing Xin)
Altitude: 1000m+

About What-Cha View company

2034 tasting notes

068/365

Another from Dark Matter. It feels good to be finally getting around to these! I went with another oolong today after yesterday’s success. It’s not something I’d usually pick out, but while I’m on a roll…

Brewed, it’s a pale gold colour with the scent of dried fruit. It’s a surprisingly strong scent for a tea that doesn’t look all that strong. The flavour is more muted, although surprisingly long-lasting. It starts off fairly innocuous; cream with an undertone of starch. After that it develops quite quickly into brown sugar, with a warming, mildly spicy cinnamon note into the aftertaste.

I’m beginning to think that I might have got oolong wrong – or perhaps the ones I tried were just wrong for me. These last two I could happily drink lots more of because they’re great (and have none of the characteristics I dislike…) If I’d tried these at the beginning of my relationship with oolong (as unlikely as that is), maybe it would be a very different thing today. That’s an interesting thought.

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp
Jlvintagelove

I just got this one but haven’t tried it yet. Now I am really looking forward to it!

I prefer greener oolongs, so I’m not rating this oolong. I felt it was weak, will try to gong fu it next time I brew. It does taste honeyish with no astringency. Will adjust rating after gong fu if I felt it improved. Nothing stood out for me, not bad though.

EDIT: I gong fu it, and it tastes a lot better! I prefer the Red Tiger from Thailand a lot better. Western brewing I feel doesn’t work well with this tea. Gong fu is the way to pick of all the subtle flavors.

I can’t really place the smell of this tea. It tastes kind of like a spice cupboard, you know the mixture of all these different smells and powders. The first wash is crazy, it has a wonderful front but the back is astounding it tastes like you opened a pack of sugar and then poured it into your mouth. While that was happening however you also decided to caramelized that sugar in your mouth. This tea doesn’t exactly have huigan but it’s almost like it. This tea is aromatic to the nose but not in the mouth. Crazy cinnamon sweetness to this tea. This tea is super-ceding all of my expectations.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Sugar, Sugarcane, Toast

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Autumn 2016 harvest. Revisiting this tea, and I remember why I ordered more. It isn’t pretty – twiggy and rough-rolled, but it redeems itself in the flavor and texture. Juicy and sweet, with that raisiny dried-fruit sweetness one more often encounters in red teas. A unique spice kick on the finish (past the first few steeps) makes this an interesting and fairly complex oolong.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Here is another tea that I have been meaning to review for some time. I bought this one during the second half of last year, but I don’t remember precisely when. I finally tried it for the first time last night, finishing the remainder of my 10 gram sample this morning. I found it to be a quality oolong highly reminiscent of Taiwanese Gui Fei.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 10 seconds. This infusion was chased by 12 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 12 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of dates, raisins, spices, honey, and roasted almonds. After the rinse, scents of osmanthus, peach, apricot, apple, butter, malt, and wood emerged. In the mouth, I picked up on notes of honey, osmanthus, apricot, dates, raisins, malt, butter, roasted almonds, and wood underscored by gentle spice, apple, and peach flavors. Subsequent infusions saw the spice notes separate into distinct impressions of cinnamon and nutmeg while the wood notes became reminiscent of cedar and pine. Impressions of rose, brown sugar, vanilla, and minerals also began to express themselves on the nose and in the mouth. The later infusions were milder, offering lingering notes of minerals, butter, malt, almond, vanilla, and wood balanced by increasingly distant impressions of honey, peach, osmanthus, dates, and rose.

Both extremely approachable and surprisingly complex, this oolong made for a great late morning/early afternoon session. I appreciated its strength and the tenacity of its aroma and flavor components. If you are a fan of traditional Taiwanese bug-bitten oolongs, I’m willing to bet you would also appreciate this tea.

Flavors: Almond, Apple, Apricot, Brown Sugar, Butter, Cedar, Cinnamon, Dates, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Nutmeg, Osmanthus, Peach, Pine, Raisins, Rose, Vanilla

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
cuddlesmom

I really love how thorough your reviews are!

eastkyteaguy

Thank you.

Evol Ving Ness

What she said!

This was an odd one.

The leaves are lightly red and tightly rolled with an odd roast tone. I can pick some starch-y cloth scents (linen?) with heavy dark fruit notes. I warmed up my shibo, and I placed what I had inside. The smell is an exact copy for run-of-the-mill hongcha. Malt. Roast. Nutty. Dark. I washed the leaves once and prepped for brewing. The taste is comparable to Bang Dong from White2Tea. The tea has some roasted tones with a bit of sweet fruit and malt. The aftertaste is nice with a succulent red fruitiness covering my throat. The tea is interesting and smooth. This isn’t something that I would seek, but it was a decent tea. It was fun to drink Vietnamese oolong.

Flavors: Fruity, Malt, Red Fruits, Roasted, Smooth, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

A lot of goodness has already been written about this well known Oolong.
It was my first tea from Vietnam and easily became a favorite daily drinker.
Moreish.

First steep of this I get a very prominent floral taste. No astringency or bitterness, just flowers, flowers everywhere, up my nose and in my mouth. Haha. It’s also a wee bit cinnamony/spicy, sort of in conjunction with the floral.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Floral

Time for my first tea review! I got my sampler set from what-cha.com and decided to review all the teas in it.

This tea is excellent. It tastes surprisingly sweet for an unsweetened tea. The flavour reminds me of honeysuckle, and it’s very light and… spring…y?

I’d recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of lighter green teas, or anyone who’s stuck in the midst of gloomy weather and wants a little taste of spring.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Sweet

A sweet enriching taste in honey and also a right amount of sweet to still keep it smooth.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Honey, Sweet