Thailand 'Red Tiger' Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Apricot, Baked Bread, banana, Blood orange, Brown Sugar, Butter, Cherry, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Peach, Pear, Plums, Raisins, Red Apple, Rose, Vanilla, Wood, Fig, Fruity, Melon, Roasted, Sugar, Sugarcane, Autumn Leaf Pile, Musty, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Blackberry, Brandy, Dark Chocolate, Floral, Stonefruits, Creamy
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “Here is another review from way back. I finished a couple of 10g sample pouches of this tea around the first week of May, but totally forgot to post a review for this tea when I was focusing on...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a sweet and medium bodied tea, whose smell reminds me of baked figs and honey a bit. There are some notes of cocoa and also melon in the aftertaste. The taste is balanced with a good...” Read full tasting note
  • “Scent of the dry leaves is roasted and floral. Scent of the wet leaves after infusing is rich, honeyed, and reminds me of cooked cherries (I think I saw this in the product description too, so if...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown round flavor – no real finish, but lingering flavor. fruity, soft, hint of sweetness. honey better at a higher temperature 200F instead of 195F” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Another brilliant red oolong from south-east asia with a smooth sweet honey taste coupled with baked cherry notes.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth sweet taste
- Notes of honey and baked cherry

Harvest: Spring 2016

- Use 1-2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

Here is another review from way back. I finished a couple of 10g sample pouches of this tea around the first week of May, but totally forgot to post a review for this tea when I was focusing on clearing out the backlog for May. It seems that What-Cha always manages to offer a number of Jin Xuans from Southeast Asia, and this was yet another of them. I found it to be a more or less excellent and incredibly approachable roasted Jin Xuan. It may not be the sort of tea that will blow all fans of roasted oolongs away, but I found it to be very enjoyable.

I prepared this tea gongfu style, although I did not push it all that hard. After a brief rinse, I steeped 6 grams of rolled tea leaves in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 10 seconds. This infusion was chased by 13 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of honey, black cherry, peach, and blood orange. After the rinse, I noted new aromas of baked bread and malt along with a stronger overall black cherry scent. The first infusion introduced milder aromas of cream, banana, vanilla, plum. In the mouth, the tea liquor offered mild notes of cream, malt, vanilla, baked bread, honey, and black cherry balanced by hints of banana and blood orange. Subsequent infusions saw wood, cinnamon, and cocoa aromas appear along with a stronger scent of banana. New notes of wood, cinnamon, apricot, minerals, butter, red apple, raisin, brown sugar, rose, and pear appeared in the mouth with belatedly emerging notes of peach and plum. The final infusions offered notes of minerals, baked bread, wood, cream, and butter that were underscored by hints of vanilla, stone fruits, and pear.

I am so glad that I took detailed notes of my review sessions for this tea because I would otherwise have been forced to not log this one. As mentioned above, this was a very nice roasted Jin Xuan. It seems that countries like Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia are producing numerous quality Jin Xuan oolongs these days. If you are a fan of sweeter, fruitier roasted oolongs, I would be willing to bet that you would enjoy this tea.

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, banana, Blood orange, Brown Sugar, Butter, Cherry, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Peach, Pear, Plums, Raisins, Red Apple, Rose, Vanilla, Wood

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

This is a sweet and medium bodied tea, whose smell reminds me of baked figs and honey a bit. There are some notes of cocoa and also melon in the aftertaste. The taste is balanced with a good depth.

Overall, Red Tiger is a great fruity oolong that is also very affordable. Highly recommended!

Flavors: Cocoa, Fig, Fruity, Honey, Melon

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Scent of the dry leaves is roasted and floral. Scent of the wet leaves after infusing is rich, honeyed, and reminds me of cooked cherries (I think I saw this in the product description too, so if so, then that is spot on). Taste is a nice warm, roasted honey-floral with a bit of tartness and hints of cooked cherry. Later infusions have a nice camphor note. Mouthfeel is fairly drying.

I brewed this Gongfu Cha style. To me it was a fairly enjoyable everyday drinking kind of tea, with not a lot of variance from one infusion to the next.

I am going to try brewing this differently and may update the review if it turns out too different. I thought this tea was highly roasted but it turns out it’s just highly oxidized so I’m going to try more leaf and lower temperature water per my usual handling of less roasted oolong and see if that makes a big difference.

EDIT: It did make a difference, with most infusions tasting more sweet and honeyed and less tart. It does still have some of that drying mouthfeel though.

Sipdown
honey
better at a higher temperature 200F instead of 195F

Flavors: Fruity, Honey

With my hair, I am wash and go. For most days, with my tea, I am brew and go. My job at the time I wouldn’t have time to even brew tea on the premise, so I would need make a huge thermos. No time or place for gong fu.

At first with this tea, I brewed it western style. I wasn’t a fan of the tea, the flavor profile many were writing about was muddled. The next day I made time to try it gong fu. It was like a whole new tea! I tasted everything. The honey, the warmth, slightly sweet. I guess I got into a pattern of just always brewing my tea western, and always feeling rushed to do so. I try to always have oolong around the house to force me to gong fu.

I preferred this oolong to the Red Buffalo from What-cha. But gong fu all the way, no western brewing for this.

Flavors: Honey

So, I woke up today thinking oolong.

I am just starting with the first steep and I have honeyed malt—a bit like honey black— against a floral backdrop. Interesting. Unusual. Nice.

Now, as much as I’d like to continue lounging around in my flannel pjs drinking tea on this massively foggy day, I am revving myself up to go participate in some movement. Part of my inspiration is that yesterday I left one of my travel mugs in my locker at the gym and I need it for my multiple steepings in the coming days. So I may as well go have a workout. You guys can be my witnesses as I get into motion. Getting up now….

Thank you, Crowkettle. A lovely entry into the selection you so generously shared with me.

The steeps will continue. Stay tuned.

Well, I drank this until the steeps gave up almost nothing. So, yay! Deliciousness!

And it’s a sip down! I’d happily order this one the next time What-Cha hears from me.

Fjellrev

That’s an interesting way to motivate oneself to go to the gym more, actually. Leave something you need there so you have to go back haha.

Evol Ving Ness

Also, because crazy tea lady who carries four travel canisters of hot tea wherever she goes.

Evol Ving Ness

Of course, some remain hotter than others.

CrowKettle

Woo-ho, workout inspiration (whatever works)! Looking forward to getting back into exercise things this month too! :)

Evol Ving Ness

Hurray, yay! I find that it is all far less painful when I build it into my day and regularity makes it even more pleasant because then you get to know people there and the hellos and light banter make things even that much nicer. Also, it blows my mind when I am able to retain some sort of a routine. Though some days, of course, I do need that something something to propel myself out the door.

1st steeps 15 sec plus 5 seconds per steep. Nice roasted smell with bread coming from the wet leaf. The steep brewed up with not a ton of flavor but with a really nice sweetness. The sweetness coming at the end tastes like pure sugar. A nice soft maltiness, not too much like in some assamicas. Some wonderful fruitiness coming in the front like baked bananas and roasted apples. Very nice filling tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Roasted, Sugar, Sugarcane

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

Brewed as the directions dictate this tea is the heavy on the malt! It’s right up there with a deep nut brown ale or a dense homemade wheat bread. A honeyed sweetness, maybe the very slightest fruitiness, it’s like drinking a cup of fresh baked honey wheat bread with a little banana snuck into the dough. There’s also a damp leafiness to it, the way a rainy autumn day smells. Later steeps see a softening of the honey and a strengthening of deciduous leaf flavor, though the honey always remains on the nose. The smell of the empty, cooling cup is like sticking your nose in a honey pot.

A gongfu session for me brought out the best flavors, the first steep at only about 12 seconds with a high leaf:water ratio seriously pumping out the honey notes and creamy mouthfeel. Every subsequent steep is delicious but lacks that thick honey flavor, winding down almost immediately into the musty leaf and bready flavors with that tempting honey on the nose. That first steep really left me wanting more. I’d rate this one a solid 100 if that flavor weren’t so fleeting.

Edit: tried a batch cold-brewed as I do with almost every new tea. Pretty unremarkable compared to the hot.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, banana, Honey, Malt, Musty

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Brewed tea has a wet leaf aroma with a hint of vanilla, fruit, and cinnamon. There’s a savoury bread-y note in the aroma as well.

Bright and fruity flavour on the sip with a sweet spice aftertaste.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Fruity, Vanilla

Indigobloom

Rariteaaaaaa!!! MISS YOU
Sounds like an autumn tea to me :P

This came as a free sample with my last What-Cha order (thanks Alistair). I’m not much for dark oolongs but this one was pretty good. It has a comforting aroma of toasted nuts and warm bread. The taste is a cross between bug bitten oolong and black tea. I got a lot of spice and toasted nut steeping it gongfu. Grandpa steeping smoothes it out and gives the tea a honeyed edge. The fruitiness here sorta reminded me of GABA oolong.
Overall, a pleasant oolong with a nice fruity flavor and no char.

Flavors: Fruity, Honey, Roasted nuts