Thailand 'Red Tiger' Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Honey, Baked Bread, Malt, Roasted, Sugar, Sugarcane, Autumn Leaf Pile, banana, Musty, Cinnamon, Fruity, Vanilla, Roasted nuts, Cherry, Cream, Sweet, Blackberry, Brandy, Dark Chocolate, Floral, Plums, Raisins, Stonefruits, Creamy
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “The flavor on this tea is round – there isn’t any real finish, but it does have lingering flavor. Fruity, soft, hint of sweetness. 195F, 2 min.” Read full tasting note
  • “With my hair, I am wash and go. For most days, with my tea, I am brew and go. My job at the time I wouldn’t have time to even brew tea on the premise, so I would need make a huge thermos. No time...” Read full tasting note
  • “So, I woke up today thinking oolong. I am just starting with the first steep and I have honeyed malt—a bit like honey black— against a floral backdrop. Interesting. Unusual. Nice. Now, as much...” Read full tasting note
  • “1st steeps 15 sec plus 5 seconds per steep. Nice roasted smell with bread coming from the wet leaf. The steep brewed up with not a ton of flavor but with a really nice sweetness. The sweetness...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Another brilliant red oolong from south-east asia with a smooth sweet honey taste coupled with baked cherry notes.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth sweet taste
- Notes of honey and baked cherry

Harvest: Spring 2016

- Use 1-2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

With my hair, I am wash and go. For most days, with my tea, I am brew and go. My job at the time I wouldn’t have time to even brew tea on the premise, so I would need make a huge thermos. No time or place for gong fu.

At first with this tea, I brewed it western style. I wasn’t a fan of the tea, the flavor profile many were writing about was muddled. The next day I made time to try it gong fu. It was like a whole new tea! I tasted everything. The honey, the warmth, slightly sweet. I guess I got into a pattern of just always brewing my tea western, and always feeling rushed to do so. I try to always have oolong around the house to force me to gong fu.

I preferred this oolong to the Red Buffalo from What-cha. But gong fu all the way, no western brewing for this.

Flavors: Honey

So, I woke up today thinking oolong.

Now, as much as I’d like to continue lounging around in my flannel pjs drinking tea on this massively foggy day, I am revving myself up to go participate in some movement. Part of my inspiration is that yesterday I left one of my travel mugs in my locker at the gym and I need it for my multiple steepings in the coming days. So I may as well go have a workout. You guys can be my witnesses as I get into motion. Getting up now….

Thank you, Crowkettle. A lovely entry into the selection you so generously shared with me.

The steeps will continue. Stay tuned.

Well, I drank this until the steeps gave up almost nothing. So, yay! Deliciousness!

And it’s a sip down! I’d happily order this one the next time What-Cha hears from me.

Fjellrev

That’s an interesting way to motivate oneself to go to the gym more, actually. Leave something you need there so you have to go back haha.

Evol Ving Ness

Also, because crazy tea lady who carries four travel canisters of hot tea wherever she goes.

Evol Ving Ness

Of course, some remain hotter than others.

CrowKettle

Woo-ho, workout inspiration (whatever works)! Looking forward to getting back into exercise things this month too! :)

Evol Ving Ness

Hurray, yay! I find that it is all far less painful when I build it into my day and regularity makes it even more pleasant because then you get to know people there and the hellos and light banter make things even that much nicer. Also, it blows my mind when I am able to retain some sort of a routine. Though some days, of course, I do need that something something to propel myself out the door.

1st steeps 15 sec plus 5 seconds per steep. Nice roasted smell with bread coming from the wet leaf. The steep brewed up with not a ton of flavor but with a really nice sweetness. The sweetness coming at the end tastes like pure sugar. A nice soft maltiness, not too much like in some assamicas. Some wonderful fruitiness coming in the front like baked bananas and roasted apples. Very nice filling tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Roasted, Sugar, Sugarcane

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

Brewed as the directions dictate this tea is the heavy on the malt! It’s right up there with a deep nut brown ale or a dense homemade wheat bread. A honeyed sweetness, maybe the very slightest fruitiness, it’s like drinking a cup of fresh baked honey wheat bread with a little banana snuck into the dough. There’s also a damp leafiness to it, the way a rainy autumn day smells. Later steeps see a softening of the honey and a strengthening of deciduous leaf flavor, though the honey always remains on the nose. The smell of the empty, cooling cup is like sticking your nose in a honey pot.

A gongfu session for me brought out the best flavors, the first steep at only about 12 seconds with a high leaf:water ratio seriously pumping out the honey notes and creamy mouthfeel. Every subsequent steep is delicious but lacks that thick honey flavor, winding down almost immediately into the musty leaf and bready flavors with that tempting honey on the nose. That first steep really left me wanting more. I’d rate this one a solid 100 if that flavor weren’t so fleeting.

Edit: tried a batch cold-brewed as I do with almost every new tea. Pretty unremarkable compared to the hot.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, banana, Honey, Malt, Musty

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Brewed tea has a wet leaf aroma with a hint of vanilla, fruit, and cinnamon. There’s a savoury bread-y note in the aroma as well.

Bright and fruity flavour on the sip with a sweet spice aftertaste.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Fruity, Vanilla

Indigobloom

Rariteaaaaaa!!! MISS YOU
Sounds like an autumn tea to me :P

This came as a free sample with my last What-Cha order (thanks Alistair). I’m not much for dark oolongs but this one was pretty good. It has a comforting aroma of toasted nuts and warm bread. The taste is a cross between bug bitten oolong and black tea. I got a lot of spice and toasted nut steeping it gongfu. Grandpa steeping smoothes it out and gives the tea a honeyed edge. The fruitiness here sorta reminded me of GABA oolong.
Overall, a pleasant oolong with a nice fruity flavor and no char.

Flavors: Fruity, Honey, Roasted nuts

205 °F / 96 °C 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This was provided as free sample in my What-Cha order, along with one of the nicest notes I’ve ever gotten from a tea company. Thank you, Alistair!

The first time I made this up I went with a western style steep. I consistently got comforting honey and fruit notes for all four re-steeps. There was no real dynamic progression of flavour, but this tea has a good thing going for it, so I’m not complaining.

Today I’m using shorter gongfu steeps, and unsurprisingly the 1st 15s yields that amber honey note. 2nd 18s steep has a profile which I generally associate with Chinese black teas; it’s creamy, malty, and almost chocolaty, with an incredibly smooth honey-sweet finish. Chocolate and baked fruits notes linger.

Steep Count: 5

Anyways, this was a great first foray into “red oolong.” I’d definitely pick up more of this as a “family dinner tea” and then short-steep it when I’m on my own. I’ll probably check out the other varieties first though!

(2016 Harvest)

Flavors: Cherry, Cream, Honey, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C
Plunkybug

Wow, a red oolong? I’ve never heard of this. I’ll have to check it out. Looks really interesting.

CrowKettle

I’d definitely recommend checking out What-Cha in general! There’s some handful of interesting scented teas and numerous unique straight teas worth checking out. :)

Sample from crowkettle this is a pretty tasty oolong. Not a roasty sort of tea – instead it’s sweet, honey like, fruit notes etc.. not a super complex oolong but relatively tasty overall.

Comparing this one to Ted Buffalo. Turns out a bit lighter which makes it great to drink alone while the Red Buffalo is bold enough to drink while eating something as well.

Semi sweet, a little texture, and some depth that comes through the oxidation that mimics a black tea in taste but an oolong in all other regards.

Good tea, but not as bold as I would want this style to be.

Daylon R Thomas

I like the Buffalo a little more too