Thailand 'Red Tiger' Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Baked Bread, Malt, Roasted, Sugar, Sugarcane, Autumn Leaf Pile, banana, Honey, Musty, Cinnamon, Fruity, Vanilla, Roasted nuts, Cherry, Cream, Sweet, Blackberry, Brandy, Dark Chocolate, Floral, Plums, Raisins, Stonefruits, Creamy
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “So, I woke up today thinking oolong. I am just starting with the first steep and I have honeyed malt—a bit like honey black— against a floral backdrop. Interesting. Unusual. Nice. Now, as much...” Read full tasting note
  • “1st steeps 15 sec plus 5 seconds per steep. Nice roasted smell with bread coming from the wet leaf. The steep brewed up with not a ton of flavor but with a really nice sweetness. The sweetness...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed as the directions dictate this tea is the very essence of malt! It’s right up there with a deep nut brown ale or a dense homemade wheat bread. A honeyed sweetness, maybe the very slightest...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed tea has a wet leaf aroma with a hint of vanilla, fruit, and cinnamon. There’s a savoury bread-y note in the aroma as well. Bright and fruity flavour on the sip with a sweet spice aftertaste.” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Another brilliant red oolong from south-east asia with a smooth sweet honey taste coupled with baked cherry notes.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth sweet taste
- Notes of honey and baked cherry

Harvest: Spring 2016

- Use 1-2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

So, I woke up today thinking oolong.

Now, as much as I’d like to continue lounging around in my flannel pjs drinking tea on this massively foggy day, I am revving myself up to go participate in some movement. Part of my inspiration is that yesterday I left one of my travel mugs in my locker at the gym and I need it for my multiple steepings in the coming days. So I may as well go have a workout. You guys can be my witnesses as I get into motion. Getting up now….

Thank you, Crowkettle. A lovely entry into the selection you so generously shared with me.

The steeps will continue. Stay tuned.

Well, I drank this until the steeps gave up almost nothing. So, yay! Deliciousness!

And it’s a sip down! I’d happily order this one the next time What-Cha hears from me.

Fjellrev

That’s an interesting way to motivate oneself to go to the gym more, actually. Leave something you need there so you have to go back haha.

Evol Ving Ness

Also, because crazy tea lady who carries four travel canisters of hot tea wherever she goes.

Evol Ving Ness

Of course, some remain hotter than others.

CrowKettle

Woo-ho, workout inspiration (whatever works)! Looking forward to getting back into exercise things this month too! :)

Evol Ving Ness

Hurray, yay! I find that it is all far less painful when I build it into my day and regularity makes it even more pleasant because then you get to know people there and the hellos and light banter make things even that much nicer. Also, it blows my mind when I am able to retain some sort of a routine. Though some days, of course, I do need that something something to propel myself out the door.

1st steeps 15 sec plus 5 seconds per steep. Nice roasted smell with bread coming from the wet leaf. The steep brewed up with not a ton of flavor but with a really nice sweetness. The sweetness coming at the end tastes like pure sugar. A nice soft maltiness, not too much like in some assamicas. Some wonderful fruitiness coming in the front like baked bananas and roasted apples. Very nice filling tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Roasted, Sugar, Sugarcane

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

Brewed as the directions dictate this tea is the very essence of malt! It’s right up there with a deep nut brown ale or a dense homemade wheat bread. A honeyed sweetness, maybe the very slightest fruitiness, it’s like drinking a cup of fresh baked honey bread with a little banana snuck into the dough. There’s also a damp leafiness to it, the way a rainy autumn day smells. Later steeps see a softening of the honey and a strengthening of deciduous leaf flavor, though the honey always remains on the nose. The smell of the empty, cooling cup is like sticking your nose in a honey pot.

A gongfu session for me brought out the best flavors, the first steep at only about 12 seconds with a high leaf:water ratio seriously pumping out the honey notes and creamy mouthfeel. Every subsequent steep is delicious but lacks that thick honey flavor, winding down almost immediately into the musty leaf and bready flavors with that tempting honey on the nose. That first steep really left me wanting more. I’d rate this one a solid 100 if that flavor weren’t so fleeting.

Edit: tried a batch cold-brewed as I do with almost every new tea. Pretty unremarkable compared to the hot.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, banana, Honey, Malt, Musty

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Bright and fruity flavour on the sip with a sweet spice aftertaste.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Fruity, Vanilla

Indigobloom

Rariteaaaaaa!!! MISS YOU
Sounds like an autumn tea to me :P

This came as a free sample with my last What-Cha order (thanks Alistair). I’m not much for dark oolongs but this one was pretty good. It has a comforting aroma of toasted nuts and warm bread. The taste is a cross between bug bitten oolong and black tea. I got a lot of spice and toasted nut steeping it gongfu. Grandpa steeping smoothes it out and gives the tea a honeyed edge. The fruitiness here sorta reminded me of GABA oolong.
Overall, a pleasant oolong with a nice fruity flavor and no char.

Flavors: Fruity, Honey, Roasted nuts

205 °F / 96 °C 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This was provided as free sample in my What-Cha order, along with one of the nicest notes I’ve ever gotten from a tea company. Thank you, Alistair!

The first time I made this up I went with a western style steep. I consistently got comforting honey and fruit notes for all four re-steeps. There was no real dynamic progression of flavour, but this tea has a good thing going for it, so I’m not complaining.

Today I’m using shorter gongfu steeps, and unsurprisingly the 1st 15s yields that amber honey note. 2nd 18s steep has a profile which I generally associate with Chinese black teas; it’s creamy, malty, and almost chocolaty, with an incredibly smooth honey-sweet finish. Chocolate and baked fruits notes linger.

Steep Count: 5

Anyways, this was a great first foray into “red oolong.” I’d definitely pick up more of this as a “family dinner tea” and then short-steep it when I’m on my own. I’ll probably check out the other varieties first though!

(2016 Harvest)

Flavors: Cherry, Cream, Honey, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C
Plunkybug

Wow, a red oolong? I’ve never heard of this. I’ll have to check it out. Looks really interesting.

CrowKettle

I’d definitely recommend checking out What-Cha in general! There’s some handful of interesting scented teas and numerous unique straight teas worth checking out. :)

Sample from crowkettle this is a pretty tasty oolong. Not a roasty sort of tea – instead it’s sweet, honey like, fruit notes etc.. not a super complex oolong but relatively tasty overall.

Comparing this one to Ted Buffalo. Turns out a bit lighter which makes it great to drink alone while the Red Buffalo is bold enough to drink while eating something as well.

Semi sweet, a little texture, and some depth that comes through the oxidation that mimics a black tea in taste but an oolong in all other regards.

Good tea, but not as bold as I would want this style to be.

Daylon R Thomas

I like the Buffalo a little more too

Steeped a full 10g sample of this in my largest gaiwan, and it’s proving to be the perfect treat to the palate after something that wasn’t quite to our liking.

This one has a fairly delicate aroma, and the first steep comes out a nice, reddish gold. It’s smooth and has just the right amount of sweetness. Really enjoying this one. Sweet honey and creaminess for a good few steeps. I’d like to have gotten more steeps out of it, but it was good while it lasted.

Flavors: Creamy, Honey, Sweet

This is the last post of the year! I realize that a combination of the ‘just married’ giddiness, general holiday craziness (Ben’s side of the family is very big into LOTS of events for holidays) and the sad crushing realization that I am coming down with some sort of sniffling/coughing/everything tastes and smells weird bug means my focus is just not in my writing. I really do try to limit the amount of my derp you all have to put up with! Also I promise this has nothing to do with the Minecraft update that dropped today (that I have been waiting anxiously for) though I probably will play it (a lot) during my little vacation. I shall return after the new year, either blogging Monday-Friday or Wednesday-Saturday to match Ben’s schedule…still trying to decide that one. Happy (insert your holiday of choice) everyone!!

Ok, enough announcement stuff, tea! You know what I haven’t done in a while? Had a What-Cha Wednesday, so let’s look at Thailand ‘Red Tiger’ Oolong. This particular tea is a Jin Xuan varietal made in what appears to be a Hong Shui style, meaning it is heavily oxidized but only lightly roasted. Oh man, I knew from the first sniff that I made a serious mistake not getting this, as it was included as a sample in my recent order. I waffled between it and the Royal Pearl, I should have just gotten both! The aroma is very similar to a Gui Fei, very fruity and nutty, like a stone fruit compote with a touch of tropical fruit. Notes of cherries, papaya, apricot, and peaches, it is very sweet and the underlying note of walnuts is very welcomed. This is truly an immensely sweet and fruity tea when dry, and is about to become stronger.

I decided, since the aroma is so similar to a bug-bitten Oolong that brewing it in my smaller bug-bitten Oolong pot would not be a terrible mistake, though it does remind me I need to get a Hong Shui style Oolong pot soon. The aroma of the now soggy leaves is pretty impressively sweet, strong notes of plums, apricots, papayas, peaches, cherries, and an undertone of plumeria and walnuts. The aroma of the first steep is like someone took those fruits, stewed them in brown sugar and orange blossoms, and sprinkled a bit of walnuts on the top…and this is a dessert I really need to make now. It is very sweet, bordering on decadent

The first steep is surprisingly thick, it coats all the mouth and is dense, very buttery and smooth. You know me, I love my Oolongs thick and juicy! Like the aroma, the taste is immensely sweet and fruity, starting with brown sugar stewed plums and peaches, moving to papaya and cherries, and finishing the fruity cocktail with a bit of apricot. There are also notes of flowers amid all the fruit, gardenia and orange blossom being the main notes with a touch of plumeria in the aftertaste. And that aftertaste, oh how the apricot and plumeria nectar lingers.

Ugh, this tea is so good!! Sadly (if you consider this a sad, I do not) there is not really any variation between the steeps note wise, the variation comes from intensity of the notes. Considering it tasted so good in the first place I am ok with that. I am also really glad I took the tasting note for this tea before my taste/smell went all wonky. I really want to get more and try this tea grandpa style, I love drinking darker unroasted oolongs in that way, especially when I feel ick or I am gaming and just want to chug something tasty. I got seven solid steeps out of this tea, it was awesome.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/12/what-cha-thailand-red-tiger-oolong-tea.html