Georgia Davit's 'Phoenix' Black Tea

Apricot, Caramel, Dark Wood, Malt, Plums, Raisins, Roast nuts, Soy sauce, Stonefruits, Tannin, Umami, Cedar, Cherry, Chocolate, Cream, Dried Fruit, Drying, Pleasantly Sour, Rose, Salty, Tannic, Vanilla, Wood, Seaweed, Tobacco, Fruity, Leather, Nutty, Salt, Sour, Toasty, Sweet, Vegetables, Almond, Brown Sugar, Dates, Fig, Honey, Milk, Burnt Sugar, Stewed Fruits, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

• “If you want to get me excited about a tea, put “stonefruit” in the description. The story of a guy reviving an old tea farm also won me over. This is the spring 2019 harvest. I somehow thought you...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yet another swap from Togo, thank you. Autumn 2017 harvest. The dry leaf isn’t very fragrant. There is a dominant dried sour cherry and prune note with some malt in the background. Wet leaf...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is the first tea I’ve tried brewing with a more gong-fu-like method. Much more tea, less water, briefer. It’s really unlocked the refreshing flavours for me. Very pleasant. I may need to re-do...” Read full tasting note
  • “I had this for the first time today but I’ll give it another chance before I rate it. I don’t know if I messed up something but this was a really weird experience. It could be that I overleafed or...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

An aromatic smooth sweet tea with a stone fruit taste, which is very receptive to extended brew times without any detectable bitterness or astringency.

I’m very excited to offer the very first Georgian tea I’ve sourced direct. Davit Tenieshvili resurrected a small abandoned 80 year old tea garden and built a custom wooden tea processing unit.

The end results are most impressive with the tea of a very consistent quality, delivering a clear well defined fruity taste, unique to teas of Georgia.

I’ve named this tea ‘Phoenix’ in recognition of Davit bringing an old abandoned tea garden back to life. Davit’s efforts are symbolic of Georgia’s wider tea industry finding new life after the tea industry’s death post Soviet Union, which saw production fall by 98% and farmable tea land decline by 85%.

Tasting Notes:
- Good fruity aroma
- Smooth sweet taste with stone fruit notes
- No astringency or bitterness

- Heat water to roughly 95°C/203°F
- Use 2 teaspoon per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 4 minutes

About What-Cha View company

If you want to get me excited about a tea, put “stonefruit” in the description. The story of a guy reviving an old tea farm also won me over. This is the spring 2019 harvest. I somehow thought you could gongfu it, but the consensus on here is that it works better Western, so I steeped about 2.5 teaspoons in a 355 ml mug at 203F for 4, 6, and 10 minutes.

The dry leaf aroma is of soy sauce, plums, and raisins. The first steep indeed has a lot of stonefruit, such as apricots, raisins, and plums. There’s also caramel, roast nuts, dark wood, and a bit of that umami soy sauce flavour. As others have mentioned, there’s almost no astringency. The second steep has lighter raisin and stonefruit notes, dark wood, a little malt, and some tannins, and by the third steep, it’s just a generic mild black tea.

I’m not usually a huge fan of raisin notes in tea, but this one is still very tasty. I might try adding even more leaf to intensify the flavours, as I think my gigantic mug attenuated them a bit. Also, two steeps seems to be the limit. This is a solid tea that I’ll enjoy playing around with.

Flavors: Apricot, Caramel, Dark Wood, Malt, Plums, Raisins, Roast nuts, Soy sauce, Stonefruits, Tannin, Umami

4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 355 ML
Kittenna

Soy sauce. Interesting.

Leafhopper

I think it was the combination of umami and sweetness that gave me that impression. Anyway, yeah, it was interesting!

Leafhopper

Yet another swap from Togo, thank you. Autumn 2017 harvest.

The dry leaf isn’t very fragrant. There is a dominant dried sour cherry and prune note with some malt in the background. Wet leaf smell is light with vanilla and wood.

The aroma is very similar to the dry leaf with an elusive note of chocolate-covered raisins.

The taste is fruity and bright with a brisk, woody tone like a Ceylon. The same dried fruits dominate and the chocolate-covered raisin of the aroma is likewise subtle in taste. Hints of rose, too. If brewed heavier, cedar becomes the forward note. Finishes tannic with maltiness and subtle dried apricots and cream. Leaves a dry, salty-sour impression in the mouth.

A nice, brisk daily drinker with dried fruit flavors. Probably good for those that like to add a touch of milk.

[Western: 2tsp, 8oz, 205F, 2 steeps at 4 and ? minutes]

Flavors: Apricot, Cedar, Cherry, Chocolate, Cream, Dried Fruit, Drying, Malt, Pleasantly Sour, Plums, Raisins, Rose, Salty, Tannic, Vanilla, Wood

This is the first tea I’ve tried brewing with a more gong-fu-like method. Much more tea, less water, briefer. It’s really unlocked the refreshing flavours for me. Very pleasant. I may need to re-do several reviews brewing in this way.

Flavors: Plums, Seaweed, Stonefruits, Tobacco

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 12 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

I had this for the first time today but I’ll give it another chance before I rate it. I don’t know if I messed up something but this was a really weird experience. It could be that I overleafed or oversteeped it or that I didn’t wait for it to cool down a bit and burnt my tongue slightly. After a decent albeit a bit weak and watery first steep I increased the steep time. The liquor and leaf had a pleasant fruity and toasty smell but it left my mouth bone dry with a slight sour aftertaste and a really baffling saltiness. I could literally taste salt. Weird stuff.

Flavors: Drying, Fruity, Leather, Malt, Nutty, Salt, Sour, Toasty

200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 15 sec 7 g 6 OZ / 190 ML

The dry leaf possesses aromas of tomato sauce and seafood. Those are also present in the wet leaf smell, which is very enticing and unique. There is a slight reminiscence of the Dehong Ye Sheng hong cha by YS, but only in the robust base notes.

The taste is quite fruity and bright, a mix of sweet and sour initially with more vegetal character in the finish. Overall, it is quite mellow taste due to the lack of bitterness and astringency, but it has decent depth and complexity.

Flavors: Fruity, Pleasantly Sour, Seaweed, Sweet, Vegetables

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Here’s a tea I have been looking forward to reviewing for some time. I somehow ended up with two sample pouches of this tea over the course of the past year. I think I bought one and then received another as a free sample with a later What-Cha order. I worked through both of them earlier in the week after reorganizing my sample bin. Though I am a huge fan of Georgian black tea, this was probably my least favorite of the Georgian black teas from What-Cha that I have tried. Despite that, I still found it to be a more or less very good tea and especially appreciated its smoothness and lack of astringency.

I prepared this tea in the Western style. I steeped 3 grams of loose tea leaves in approximately 8 ounces of 203 F water for 5 minutes. I did not rinse the leaves and I also did not attempt any subsequent infusions.

Prior to infusion, the dry tea leaves produced mild aromas of honey, raisin, and chocolate. Aromas of malt, caramel, and roasted almond then appeared after infusion. In the mouth, the liquor offered rather delicate, smooth notes of cream, malt, steamed milk, honey, golden raisin, milk chocolate, and roasted almond underscored by leather, date, fig, brown sugar, apricot, and plum impressions. The finish was very smooth and mellow with pronounced cream and malt notes backed by distant apricot, plum, raisin, and fig flavors.

Like most of the Georgian black teas that I have tried, this was a very approachable, mellow, and forgiving tea. Unlike the others, I found this one to be a little flat in the mouth and felt that its finish was a little lacking. Those are comparatively minor quibbles, however, as I would have no issue with giving this tea another shot in the near future. Overall, this tea was definitely worth a try, but I feel that What-Cha has offered some better Georgian black teas in the past.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Brown Sugar, Chocolate, Cream, Dates, Fig, Honey, Leather, Malt, Milk, Plums, Raisins

5 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I way overbrewed this tea, I thought it was the right size for 1 sample because I misread. It is amazing the first steep. Very fruity, I get apricot and raisin type aromas and flavors.

Flavors: Apricot, Brown Sugar, Dried Fruit, Raisins

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 8 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
GrepSedAwk

Second steep needs more time. Definitely not as fruity the second time around.

I don’t know why, but when a tea is said to have “raisin” flavor profile, I want that tea. And I am not exactly a fan of raisins, but when it’s in black tea, I adore it!

This tea reminds me of a black dragon pearl tea cousin. It’s robust, caramelized and sweet, and stewy. I gave my friend a sip, and they usually think tea is bitter enjoyed this. It has no astringency. So many flavors, and so delicious.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Raisins, Stewed Fruits

crappy tasting notes incoming! I’m working from home today, i’m stupidly busy and because of the weather shift, i’ve got a migraine building. ugh. tea to the rescue!

this one is growing on me and was what i needed this morning – note to self, following the recommended “overleafing”

Lexie Aleah

What type of work do you do? Hope your migraine goes away soon.

I am a change manager in the financial industry :) lots of work can get done at home…at least this way i avoided all the crazy commute horrors.

Nattie

Feel better!

The smell of the dry leaves reminds me of raisins, and brewed tea has a mellow, slightly tart smell. I was surprised at how noticeable the fruity flavor is for me. It’s pleasant, and I think it would probably make a nice summer tea. I think I like a little more malt or toasty flavor in my black tea than this, though. I’m not madly in love with this the flavors in this tea, but it’s pleasant and I’ll happily drink it sometimes.

Flavors: Fruity, Raisins