Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Malt, Plums, Salt, Apricot, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Honey, Milk, Mineral, Smooth, Wood, Brown Toast, Caramel, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Dates, Dried Fruit, Molasses, Peach, Smoke, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Thick, Toast, Yams, Floral, Mint, Musty, Cinnamon, Fruity, Camphor, Cream, Eucalyptus, Orange, Raisins, Sweet, Tannin, Tea, Dark Bittersweet, Brown Sugar, Citrus, Corn Husk, Creamy, Broth, Cherry, Muscatel, Red Fruits, Wet Wood, Berry, Grain, Cherry Wood, Oak wood, Custard, Earth
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Kawaii433

• “For what it’s worth, finally found the eucalyptus. Maybe it only comes out while eating risotto with your tea… Otherwise, a solid and frequently returned to black tea for me.” Read full tasting note
  • “I finished off my bag of the Spring 2018 harvest several days ago and it took a while to background process my opinion. While this tea is complex and layered flavor-wise because of the mix of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Opened the pouch yesterday. I was looking forward to trying this one. The Jabberywocky tea’s dry leaf is thin dark twists. The dry tea leaves and tea are aromatic. It has a good chocolatey, woody...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is one of the teas with a flavor profile that I used to refer to as “mushroom,” although it doesn’t exactly taste like a mushroom. I associate the smooth, slippery, heavy mouthfeel of it with...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

If I were the Mad Hatter, what tea would I serve to the Jabberwocky? Perhaps the uffish beast would enjoy something chocolaty? Maybe a finish of eucalyptus would soothe his frumious mind! Mind you, with teeth like snicker-snack’s there would be no turning back so it must be pleasing to the eyes! Purple, green, brown between, so pretty his eyes will gyre! So through the tulgey forest I shall brew and pour us a beautiful cup of the most beautimus tea that he will ever see. I must say – the slithy toves will run away, the jubjub bird will feel okay, and at brillig under the tumtum tree, the Jabber and me will sip some tea! He will chortle and the manxome beast will burble out that he is pleased and the days of worrying that he will eat you will be far away – oh frabjous day!

No more mimsy cups of tea! The Jabberwocky is strong and smooth with a full mouth of wildflower nectar and honey drizzled on a fresh french baguette with a light hint of salt. The middle of the sip hints at creamy chocolate and plum dipped in luscious silky caramel. The finish is strong of camphor and eucalyptus and leaves your mouth feeling fresh and wanting more! The beautiful wet leaves are light brown, mottled with green and purple, and emit the aroma of honey, camphor, and a cool mineral freshness reminiscent of standing at the edge of a raging river. Enjoy the strong qi of this smooth and silky brew anytime of the day, and don’t worry about over-brewing…we knew that the Jabberwocky didn’t like bitterness or astringency, so you won’t find either in this cup!

Ingredients: Fujian Black Tea, Ailaoshan Black Tea, Wild Arbor Yunnan Black Tea

Notes: Honey, Nectar, Salted Caramel, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Cocoa, Stonefruit, French Bread

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Otherwise, a solid and frequently returned to black tea for me.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Plums, Salt

While this tea is complex and layered flavor-wise because of the mix of Chinese red teas, I feel like the Jabberwocky’s bark is bigger than its bite. It’s an easy tea to slay, one I could drink all day but I was always left longing for something a little deeper, a tea I could sink my teeth into, a beast that would put up more of a fight. I may have preferred this tea gongfu actually, because each type of leaf in the blend waxed and waned. There was however, always a bit of flatness to the body regardless of brewing method. The description is mostly apt, but I was missing out on that camphor and eucalyptus.

I think this tea would be very appealing to those who like slightly sweet and softly poetic Chinese reds.

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Milk, Mineral, Plums, Salt, Smooth, Wood

Dustrose

I almost went the Jabberwocky route this morning! I initially picked it up because I was intrigued by the eucalyptus and was also disappointed that it wasn’t more prominent. Still tastes good though.

Kawaii433

I’m wondering if that’s one of the reasons I liked it better than I expected. I’m not a fan of camphor and hesitated when I bought it and didn’t really find much there.

derk

I think my tongue and brain have been changed by drinking some heavy-duty puerh in terms of mouthfeel, cooling effects and camphor taste. My preferences be a changin’. I know a lot of people will love this tea, though.

Natethesnake

I used to dislike camphor note when I’d drink Keemun teas and when drinking China reds went for those with chocolate, plum and floral notes like Fujian red monkey and Jin Jun Mei. Sheng from Lincang has helped me acquire the taste for camphor…

Opened the pouch yesterday. I was looking forward to trying this one.

The Jabberywocky tea’s dry leaf is thin dark twists. The dry tea leaves and tea are aromatic. It has a good chocolatey, woody forest, honey aroma. The wet leaves have the equivalent but more intense aroma of cocoa, dark cocoa to be specific and honey. I could smell some malt, baked bread, and wheat toast. I love those three aroma/taste in tea, by the way. The liquor was a dark amber color and the early infusions had some dried fruits, lots of cocoa. It was woodsy and malty. The baked bread, wheat toast/bread, sweet potatoes, and some spices notes, a dash of salt were present throughout the infusions along with the fresh aroma of fruits, sweetness. Later infusions produced minerals, raisins, and a stronger fruit taste, particularly white peaches, more malt, while the dark cocoa, wood, sweet potatoes, and bread-y notes remained. Lots of honey sweetness, along with brown sugar, burnt sugar, caramel, toasted bread. It has a thick texture although not as thick of a texture as their Alilaoshan Black that I sampled a couple of weeks ago. This is smoother though, in fact, when I drank the infusions, it felt as though I used a different type of water, I didn’t. Really soft mouthfeel. It is also extremely complex with clean notes. Great aftertaste and a long finish of sweetness, and coolness. No bitterness or astringency.

6g, 212°F, 110ml, rinse, 14 steeps: 5s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 1m5s, 1m15s, 1m30s, 2m, 3m, 5m

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Dates, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Peach, Salt, Smoke, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Thick, Toast, Wood, Yams

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
mrmopar

Brendan does some fantastic stuff.

Kawaii433

Indeed :)

This is one of the teas with a flavor profile that I used to refer to as “mushroom,” although it doesn’t exactly taste like a mushroom. I associate the smooth, slippery, heavy mouthfeel of it with mushrooms. Now that I have more experience with flavor profiles, I’ve come to learn that honey is at least one common denominator among all these “mushroom” teas.

It’s a flavor profile I really disliked in the beginning, but have slowly acquired a tase for. I especially appreciate it after long breaks from high-end teas. I usually prefer bold, astringent, and malty black teas. But every once in a while, its nice to change things up so that I can appreciate a sense of newness in the flavors I get too accustomed to.

Despite having been on Steepster for so many years, I have not developed the tea-conossier tasting sensitivity so many of you others have, so my reviews tend to be pretty basic (sorry!). What I can say for this tea is that is stands out from the crowd with its subtle minty finish.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Mint, Musty, Smooth

Smooth, complex, easy to drink.

A beautiful blended tea

Flavors: Cinnamon, Fruity

Forgot to save my previous note on this, so this will be just a short and quick review.

I prepare this tea mainly gongfu style, but I have also done it western

With gongfu, early steeps contain a very fruity apricot taste (specifically dried apricot). But subsequent infusions adopts a heavier wood-like taste with malt and dried apricot background. I haven’t seen how it tasted following the end-stage infusions, so can’t give much of a comment on that.

I did prepare this western style once quite a while ago, and I do have to say that western style is the recommended way to approach this tea. It had a very complex yet harmonic taste, consisting of fruits (with apricot as main), honey, general sweetness, light wood, chocolate, and a maltyness around it. I believe gongfu style doesn’t allow the blend of leaves to steep sufficiently enough to have the combined flavour from all of them, but instead prefers the faster steeping leaves over the others.

Not a bad tea, but not recommended if you prefer tea gongfu style.

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Malt, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

Since I haven’t reviewed too many blends this month, I motivated myself to finally break out the last of this one. A blend of three Chinese black teas, The Jabberwocky has become one of Whispering Pines’ signature teas. It is a highly regarded blend with a wide following here on Steepster. I found it to more or less live up to the hype.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 205 F water for 5 seconds. I followed this infusion up with 14 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 8 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves produced interesting aromas of chocolate, honey, wood, and stone fruits. After the rinse, the honey and stone fruit aromas intensified and were joined by emerging scents of orange, toast, and malt. The first infusion produced a bouquet that saw malt and toast aromas continue to develop. In the mouth, a pleasant and robust mix of wood, brown toast, fresh bread, cream, malt, honey, orange, caramel, sweet potato, and indistinct stone fruit notes washed across the palate. Subsequent infusions produced a bouquet that was maltier, fruitier, and more honeyed. Aromas and flavors of raisin, apricot, nectarine, and peach emerged. I also began to catch hints of camphor, eucalyptus, and minerals on the finish. Later infusions were dominated by wood, malt, chocolate, brown toast, and citrus notes coupled with touches of caramel and stone fruits. The camphor, mineral, and eucalyptus notes on the finish were also amplified, producing a unique and soothing cooling effect.

This is probably one of the most complex and refined black tea blends I have ever tried. It was not quite what I was expecting (I had heard that this blend was incredibly strong, so I was expecting it to absolutely knock me for a loop), but I was far from disappointed. Though it mellowed a little quicker than I would have liked, it still had considerable staying power and a gorgeous layering of aromas and flavors. Definitely put this stuff on your wishlist if you have not yet tried it.

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Camphor, Caramel, Chocolate, Cream, Eucalyptus, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Orange, Peach, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

A pleasant cup, although not what I was expecting. I don’t have the most sophisticated taste buds in the first place, but I missed a lot of the notes in the first try of this one. I have some left so I’ll keep trying. What I did get was a very pleasant, malty sort of tea with a rich bready taste. Good and comforting. My leaves weren’t purple, but I love the name and the label.

Flavors: Malt