Dark Chocolate, Grass, Malt, Tea, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Cocoa, Earth, Grain, Maple Syrup, Oak wood, Stonefruits, Wet Wood, Candy, Baked Bread, Mushrooms
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “GCTTB I pulled this one from the box to try out, since i’d like to get through some of the samples quickly so VariaTEA can come pick up the box whenever. I wasn’t sure what to expect since i ...” Read full tasting note
  • “So today I decided to pull out something different and make my brother drink it with me. I kind of lied about it because I told him we were going to drink mushrooms straight up. He gave me an ugly...” Read full tasting note
  • “GCTTB There was just enough of this left for one session with it. This smells so much like maple in the bag! I was really surprised to read that it’s the mushrooms that are giving off this scent....” Read full tasting note
  • “Mmmmmm, smells like chocolate malt with a little bit of grass. Tastes like chocolate and malt, too. It reminds me of chocolate Horlicks or Bournvita, but without the sugar. At some point, I think...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Sometimes I watch the fog floating on a hazy forest breeze. I admire the way it flows through the trees and over the mossy stones beneath my feet. The rain-kissed wind whispers in my ear. I can’t quite understand it, but I know it tells me stories of the willow groves from which it came. If I lie down and look towards the canopy, I can see the fog dancing with the leaves. It’s soft and slow, spending a little time with each leaf before floating onto the next, but always leaving a touch of itself behind — a memory that will drop to the floor, nourishing the ferns, wildflowers, and mushrooms. I believe my heart is a forest, and each experience is a limb of my infinite trees. I like the fog. I like the way it touches every one of my leaves and creates these nourishing raindrop memories — memories that I can’t help but replay in my dreams. Memories that I wish I could capture forever. Maybe with enough of them, the raindrops will grow a new willow grove. I can already feel them growing in my woodland heart. Perhaps the new willow trees need the fog. Maybe the fog needs the new trees to create new memories with. And maybe, if we’re all lucky, the fog will never get tired of dancing with the willows.

Willow combines all things that touch me deep in my soul. From morning walks with a cup of hot cocoa picking wild mushrooms to smelling the sweet aroma of maple syrup on my pancakes after that walk. The essence of the woodlands that formed who I am, Willow is one of my proudest creations. Willow is made with a base of North Winds and the addition of sweet candy cap mushrooms, which are known for their heady maple syrup aroma and sweet, woody flavor. Steeped, the aroma of Willow is complex, with maple syrup, chocolate, and mushrooms. The taste is smooth, sweet, and creamy, opening with identical notes as the aroma. The balance is absolutely perfect, with all notes showing up individually, but none overpowering each other. Immediately following the base notes come hints of stonefruit and oak. The addition of the strong maple note transforms the graininess of North Winds into definitive buckwheat pancakes with a touch of cherry preserves. Clean woody and maple notes linger past the finish, slowly fading into mushroom and oak. I highly suggest enjoying this innovative and unique blend in a big thermos while walking your favorite woodland trail. Breath life, sip inspiration.

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

GCTTB

I pulled this one from the box to try out, since i’d like to get through some of the samples quickly so VariaTEA can come pick up the box whenever. I wasn’t sure what to expect since i didn’t bother looking anything up prior to drinking it. This is rather pleasant…feels like maple..and then sort of turns in to a lovely mild black tea. Ineresting tea nonetheless. glad i got to try it.

Haveteawilltravel

A wonderful tea :)

So today I decided to pull out something different and make my brother drink it with me. I kind of lied about it because I told him we were going to drink mushrooms straight up. He gave me an ugly look… but he does trust me with tea so he went with it. To his, and my , surprise this tea is one bold cup of comfort. The black tea used in this is of course a Whispering Pines tea and therefore, from my collected data, it will/is/shall/can/may/has/moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee great.

This is a tea that I would not buy on my own because I would see the mushroom and pass it up, but I am glad I tried it because it is wonderful.
I will be honest: While drinking of this I knew it would be better if a frog was drinking it with me ;)

Daylon R Thomas

I almost got that one then realized the maple tasting notes were probably exaggerated…because it’s a Pu-Erh.

Roswell Strange

You have no clue how curious these mushroom teas make me; damn allergies.

I like this one alot

GCTTB

There was just enough of this left for one session with it. This smells so much like maple in the bag! I was really surprised to read that it’s the mushrooms that are giving off this scent. When tasting the first brew, most of what I was tasting was maple, and a sort of grain like or whole wheat flavor, as well as a sour, fruit like note. To my disappointment though, no mushrooms. Happily, they made an appearance in subsequent steeps, a little in the flavor, but more so in the savoury aftertaste. There’s a slight a stringency and bitterness, but it’s mild. By the third, ah! There’s the chocolate notes, and the fruit notes remain. It just gets more savoury as it goes, as the mushrooms and wood flavors really come out to play. I think I love these mushrooms! The leaves are a milk chocolate brown, and they really expanded throughout my session with them, these are big pieces of leaf, and they lasted well, at 8 sweepings filling the recommended times on the site. Huge thanks to whoever put this in the box. I’ve always wanted to make a Whispering Pines order, but the cost really prevented me from buying blind, even with the good reviews. Now I get all the hype. Chocolate mushrooms are da bomb!

Mmmmmm, smells like chocolate malt with a little bit of grass.

Tastes like chocolate and malt, too. It reminds me of chocolate Horlicks or Bournvita, but without the sugar. At some point, I think I’ll want to try this one with milk and sugar. The chocolate is strong with this one. :)

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Grass, Malt, Tea

165 °F / 73 °C 8 min or more 110 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Backlog from yesterday morning. I sampled it from the GCTTB4

This reminded me a lot of Golden Orchid – that lovely fudgy vanilla note. I oversteeped it a bit, though – 4 minutes instead of 3. It covered my tongue and was nice and thick, with no astringency. I did get a sweetness, which I guess was the candy cap mushroom, but it wasn’t that strong.

Good tea, but I know I won’t restock just because of the exchange rate between Canada and the US. I’d love to find a similar blend that would be more accessible.

Watching Willow, Sipping Willow :)
anybody remember that movie? nothing to do with the tea really but i thought it would be cool to watch again while sipping this tea And it is, its cool man.

Cwyn

Hated that movie. Made me motion sick for some reason.

I loved it!
i love fantasy films

tantonino

What’re your favorite films, Toadman?

Cheri

I loved that movie. I haven’t seen it in ages, though.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

i have lots of favorite films, favs are difficult for me lol
i dig horror and fantasy/scifi movies most…
Some of my fav fantasy/sci-fi include
Princess Bride, Willow(of course), Dark Crystal, Rock & rule, Legend, LOTR/HOBBIT, Princess Mononoke, Secret world of Arrietty, Heavy Metal, Spirited away, Clash of the Titans(81), Jason and the Argonauts and lots and lots more.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Studio Ghibli for ze win!

Marzipan

Loved that movie. It had the cutest baby ever too.

donkeyteaarrrraugh

Alora Dannon!! (spelling is off I’m sure)

teataku

Did you know that George Lucas co-wrote a book series that’s a continuation of that story? Elora Dannon grows up, and Willow kind of becomes a traveling hermit/sorceror type. Mad Martigan shows up, too, with whats-her-face.

teataku

And yes, Studio Ghibli. All the yes.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

I think the books are “Chronicles of the Shadow War” I want to read them :)
Oh Yes! I love Studio Ghibli films!!

teataku

I do recommend them. They’re a bit slow paced, but well written. :)

My Whispering Pines order came in yesterday! It was a happy day. The past few weeks, I’ve been sipping down some of my favorites in anticipation of this order coming in. I was at work all day and I didn’t get home until late, so unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to try any of my new teas last night. But today! Today is a good day for tasting. Let’s do this.

In the bag, the dry leaf smells intense and sweet like maple candies. The sweetness is offset by the deep, resounding aroma of mushroom, earth, bread, and wood—much like a shu. This makes me think it might do really well blended with a shu puerh. Followed the western brewing instructions, though I would like to gong fu this later. This tea tastes like maple syrup, brown sugar, mushrooms, wet wood, and cocoa. There’s a bready note that makes me think of sourdough rolls or pancakes. It’s also slightly tart, like stone fruits—plums, raisins, cherries. The finish is oaky and a little drying. It leaves a malty coating on my tongue along with the taste of maple. I didn’t find the blend overly sweet. The maple flavors are balanced nicely with earthy, woodsy qualities that keep it grounded. The base tea notes come through MUCH more strongly in the second steep. Maple is ever present in the background, but at the forefront you have grain, malt, dark chocolate, and cherries. The natural sweetness of the tea makes itself known. It’s clearly identifiable as the base tea for GO. It’s almost like fudge, and it’s so delicious. The finish here is juicy and sweet. Still slightly drying, with a taste like wood, but it’s drying in a way that makes your mouth water.

Gosh. I’m so glad I was able to pick some of this up. I don’t think it’s something I could drink all day, but it’s definitely good. Like many of Brenden’s teas it makes me want to take it hiking.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Cherry, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Grain, Malt, Maple Syrup, Oak wood, Stonefruits, Wet Wood

Haven’t had this tea in ages. This is the kind of tea you only reach for when you’re feeling like something really different – like today.

Last time I left a review, I enjoyed this tea but botched the brewing. I have no idea what brewing parameters I used then but today I went for gong fu. I enjoyed the tea then but I think gong fu brewing made a huge difference on this tea.

First infusion was only 10 sec . Got a bit of maltiness but it was mostly all maple sweetness. I’ve got a terrible sweet craving today and this is really taking care of that today.

2nd infusion -20 sec – Malty, bready, maple syrup Yum Yum! Delicious!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Maple Syrup

0 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML

Out of the package, this tea smells like straight up dark brown sugar. I do get a whiff of woodsy smells on the dry leaf, slight earth, cedar, and dampness.

The resulting brew is incredibly sweet. It tastes like maple candy. There is some lingering flavors of some cocoa and wet wood. The lingering scent of the candy cap mushrooms is definitely floating on top. The mushies mix well with the base black teas. They look beautiful in my white porcelain gaiwan. Today, this tea did not quit, I think I got a record number of steeps from a WP black today! I might have gone on longer, but I had to go to work :P
I am so glad that I got all of WP’s mushroom teas! Who would’ve thunk that Brendan would make already good tea great?

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup, Wet Wood

145 °F / 62 °C

Hot this tea was nice but nothing too special, however as it started to cool it became pretty much amazing… although I must admit it isn’t something I could drink cup after cup of… As the tea cooled the delicate taste of the morel mushrooms slowly started to make themselves known and as as the tea continued to cool this flavor morphed into a sugary maple mushroom taste (sounds weird but its seriously delicious). Personally I think you would want to be a mushroom liker or better yet lover to really appreciate this tea which thankfully I am! I love Brendan’s description and plan on taking this with me to enjoy the next time we’re backcountry camping and hiking in the Sierra to really enjoy the full experience!