Pu-erh Tea
Cocoa Nibs, Pu Erh Tea
Chocolate, Creamy, Earth, Sweet, Cocoa, Autumn Leaf Pile, Maple, Molasses, Moss, Mushrooms, Nutty, Smooth, Walnut, Broth, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Musty, Cacao, Malt
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Since my recent cocoa nib awakening, I have been obsessed and, in turn, delighted with the sweet, creamy, chocolate flavors I have found that they impart. This tea falls right in line with all of...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is strange! I’m not sure how well the two of us get along. I’m not getting all the different notes that others are getting. In part of the sip the taste seems really flat and then further...” Read full tasting note
  • “The first sample I’m trying from the puerh plus TTB. 1st off if this box has taught be anything it’s that I can’t say no to a tea that smells like chocolate. I grabbed samples of all three teas...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, it’s the weekend at last! I must admit that it was a LONG week dealing with cranky kids. However, Summer Camp is going pretty smoothly, despite the small mishaps that happen with moody...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

An ode to the art of fermentation! Art of Darkness consists of two simple ingredients: 2013 Ontario 1357 Shou Pu-erh and high quality fair trade and organic cocoa nibs sourced from Ecuador! I blended these two ingredients with the perfect balance to create a smooth, nutty, chocolaty tea that truly shows the gorgeous characteristics of both the pu-erh and the cocoa nibs!

The aroma and the taste both begin on the lighter side, and as each steep progresses, richer cocoa and nutty notes come to the front. The taste is smooth and sweet with a clean raw cocoa note present throughout the sip. Experience the essence of what happens when mother nature and mankind create the unique art of controlled fermentation. Journey through the Art of Darkness.

Ingredients: 2013 Ontario 1357 Shou Pu-erh & Ethiopian cocoa nibs

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This tea falls right in line with all of this. A puerh that is also sweet and chocolate-y? Well, yes, I would like to drink that all morning. And I have! This tea really does combine the best of both ripe (smooth, creamy, dark, earthy) and cocoa nibs (creamy, sweet, chocolate).

I am going to have to play around with my own cocoa nibs and other “plain” puerh and see what I can create. Thanks for the inspiration and great tea, Brenden!

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Earth, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Haveteawilltravel

This is a staple in my home. I’m not big on any kind of flavored blends, but this one is perfect in my book :D

mtchyg

Yeah, I’m going to have to order a lot more of this. I took a break from this for about 3 or 4 hours and just started it back up. Still really good and chocolate-y about 6 or 7 gong fu steeps into it.

Haveteawilltravel

Yeah, it’s a solid tea!

This tea is strange! I’m not sure how well the two of us get along. I’m not getting all the different notes that others are getting. In part of the sip the taste seems really flat and then further along it seems really heavy and full. I’m somehow getting a hint of seaweed which doesn’t match any of the descriptions others are experiencing. A little bit of hay on the after taste. Sadly I’m not really feeling this one.

The first sample I’m trying from the puerh plus TTB.

1st off if this box has taught be anything it’s that I can’t say no to a tea that smells like chocolate. I grabbed samples of all three teas where I whiffed some cocaoy goodness. This being the only tea that contained actual cocoa was unsurprisingly the best smelling of all of them. So much so that when I added hot water the room started to smell like I was making brownies.

Now you need to understand that I love chocolate. Not “chocolates”, not melty dove bars or sweet mockolate candies, not even Hershey’s “special dark” if they still embarrass themselves by calling it that. I’m talking straight up cocoa nibs, 80-100% bars, hell I won’t even go less than 60% cocoa content for the chocolate chips I put into cookies. I always worried that cocoa containing teas just wouldn’t be enough. I was wrong.

This tea brings out all the cocoa and the puerh adds a good dark base that keeps it from tasting watery. I brewed this in a gaiwan and through 10 steeps the nibs were present in every cup from the first light colored one to the later dark cups. The aroma cannot be talked about only experienced. The puerh did not get in the way of the chocolate which might happen with western style brewing. I may have ate all the nibs out of the tea when I was finished.

One note with this tea. It contains cocoa butter in the nibs which will slowly come out of the tea leaving a slight sheen on the top. Because of this you’ll want to make sure to use glazed teaware and give everything a good wash afterwards to keep from contaminating your next tea.

Flavors: Cocoa

Well, it’s the weekend at last! I must admit that it was a LONG week dealing with cranky kids. However, Summer Camp is going pretty smoothly, despite the small mishaps that happen with moody children.

Anyway, I wanted a tasty cup of tea (I must admit that I’ve been drinking coffee all week in the mornings). Ugh, I know. The ‘Art of Darkness’ from Whispering Pines was poking itself from the top of the cupboard. Therefore, I made a batch of it in my gaiwan.

Yum. There are so many chocolate/cocoa notes. Nice smooth dark chocolate flavors. Pretty sweet on its own. I’m thinking about buying more of this sometime before the summer’s over. It’d be a great winter/fall tea.

This is a rich warming blend, malty creamy deep cocoa flavor from the real nibs, not fake at all. When I was running low on both this and one of the plain black teas i just mixed them up, it brewed up nice, so actually this tea can be a multi tasker. nice to get a few steeps out of too.

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 1 g 1 OZ / 30 ML

I had a ridiculously awful few days this week. I agreed to take care of a couple of infants my in-laws are fostering, so they could drive their college-age kids back from college a few states away since it’s the end of the school year. So laugh at me all you want, because I should have known better than to agree, even though they promised that I wouldn’t also have to take care of their hundred or so farm animals (yeah . . . you can imagine how that turned out). But when I got home yesterday there was a box of Whispering Pines tea waiting for me, so the week wasn’t a total loss and I’m reconsidering my professed hatred of the entire world (present company always excluded, because I’m not trying to be inflammatory when I say that I hate the entire world, lol).

Anyway, I prepared this tea as directed (Western style) and I think I can safely say that it’s the darkest tea liquor I’ve ever seen. So good job on the name, I guess. And I’m greatly enjoying the flavor as well. It’s not too heavy, but manages to blend actual cocoa with good shu pu-erh in a very effective way so that they complement each other and present a unified flavor profile; the chocolate notes don’t seem out of place alongside the woodsy pu-erh. I realized immediately that I’ll surely end up buying a lot more of this, and I’m now trying to decide whether I should steep the rest of the sample today so my husband can try it too or hoard it all for myself so I can put off my next tea order until next month . . . lol.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Gongfu brewed this tea is very unique as it is the first chocolate puerh which I can honestly say is really good. The light bodied puerh base blends nicely with the raw Cocoa Nibs with a smooth chocolate flavor that matches the “gongfu curve” of the puerh nicely. Along with the puerh stuffed mandarin oranges, this is the only other flavored puerh that I find good enough to reorder.

Boiling

Pulled this one out again today as i wanted some puerh but wasn’t up for 10+ sessions. With this one i can do 1-3 and still feel like i’ve given the tea a chance to be. I enjoy this tea – a nice blend of shou and cocoa…as it cools, it becomes even more of a hot chocolate like cup of tea.

kristinalee

This sounds pretty good, and I’m not usually big on flavored teas. But something mixed well with chocolate sounds intriguing…

it’s more puerh than flavoured tea to me, but i seem to be in the minority a little on this one

This is a very good for me to ease into the world of pu’erh. I am still developing a taste for the earthiness and fermentation. The cocoa nib adds body and depth to this tea without overwhelming the pu’erh taste. I don’t know much yet about this kind of tea, but to me, the base would likely be a little sweet on its own.

I resteeped this for 5 and 10 minutes per the websites recommendations and both steeps were just as delicious.

This is good tea. If memory serves me the puerh base of this is the 2012 Huron Gold Needle. The puerh tea component of this is sweet with little in the way of bitterness. The cacao component gives a nice chocolaty taste to the puerh. They mix well. What surprised me about this is that there was a strong chocolate note from the cacao even in the tenth steep. I expected chocolate for only the first few infusions but the chocolate lasted well into the tenth steep.

I steeped this ten times in a 120ml gaiwan with 10.1g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse and a 10 minute rest. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, and 1 min.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Sweet

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Whispering Pines Tea Company

The base on this is the 2013 Ontario 1357…but keep an eye out for a new blend like this coming soon with the 2012 Huron Gold Needle and vanilla :)

tea123

Is there actual chocolate in this tea?

AllanK