Caramel, Cocoa, Grapes, Honey, Raisins, Tree Fruit, Anise, Apricot, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Herbs, Leather, Malt, Mineral, Plums, Spearmint, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Burnt Sugar, Chocolate, Spices
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “This tea is a complex one. Extremely smooth. The base is excellent. Though honestly I kept waiting for the spearmint and or the cooling sensation to show up and it really never did for me…if...” Read full tasting note
  • “Oh man, this is such a blast from the past. I think I finished a one ounce pouch of this tea back around the start of the month, wrote a review in my notebook, and then just sat on it. I didn’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “OK, so I keep trying Taiwan teas, and I just can’t seem to get into that style. I can appreciate this one but I can’t say that I like it. The wintergreen flavor just didn’t seem to go well with...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is good. The raisin and plum notes are prominent in my opinion. The cocoa notes are only there for a brief second. there is a baked goods aroma wafting out of the cup.” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Sun Moon Lake has become one of the most well known Taiwanese black tea varietals on the market. Our Sun Moon Lake is bursting with smooth, juicy merlot grape notes and an intoxicating aroma of anise, grapes, and spice. Finish is sweet and lingering with a nice cooling sensation. Huge leaves and an absolutely beautiful sensory experience!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This tea is a complex one. Extremely smooth. The base is excellent. Though honestly I kept waiting for the spearmint and or the cooling sensation to show up and it really never did for me…if there, it is extremely subtle.
Sometimes our taste buds can be off so I do plan to give it another try shortly —so stay tuned.
Everything I have had from Brenden at Whispering Pines has been worthwhile.

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Grapes, Honey, Raisins, Tree Fruit

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
eastkyteaguy

Just chiming in here, but you may want to reduce the water temperature a bit and see if that reveals anything else. In my experience, that seems to bring out some of the more herbal qualities in many black teas. I think I brewed this one at 195 F if memory serves.

Jlvintagelove

Thank you, I will definitely try that =)

Oh man, this is such a blast from the past. I think I finished a one ounce pouch of this tea back around the start of the month, wrote a review in my notebook, and then just sat on it. I didn’t forget about it because it has been in the back of my mind pretty consistently since then, but I just couldn’t bring myself to post it here. I have no clue what it was that was holding me back. Anyway, I think I have previously mentioned how much I love Taiwanese black teas. They just do it for me. This one was very good, near excellent in fact, but I did knock a few points off for a couple reasons. First, I think there are better or at least comparable Sun Moon Lake black teas at similar or slightly lower price points and there was an odd tomato-like scent and taste in the very early goings that was a turn off for me. Not that I don’t like tomato or anything, but I don’t necessarily desire to smell or taste it in my tea.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. I went with a lower water temperature than Whispering Pines recommended (195 F as opposed to 212 F) simply because I am used to brewing teas of this type at temperatures between 194-205 F. I used 6 grams of leaves for 4 ounces of water and flash rinsed rather than going with a more standard 10 second rinse. The first infusion was 5 seconds. The fourteen subsequent infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted fairly powerful aromas of sweet potato, crushed basil, wintergreen, and tomato. Actually, it was more like stewed tomato to be precise. The rinse brought out new aromas of wood, malt, spearmint, and black grape. The first infusion then brought out a stronger spearmint aroma coupled with hints of baked bread. In the mouth, I immediately detected unexpectedly strong notes of basil, wintergreen, and spearmint on the entry. Notes of malt, wood, sweet potato, and baked bread followed. In the background, I caught a faint hint of black grape too. Subsequent infusions brought out new impressions of leather, eucalyptus, anise, plum, apricot, honey, minerals, cocoa, brown sugar, camphor, and of course, stewed tomato. Fortunately, that note (which admittedly kind of clashed with most of the others, lending a rather acidic and unwelcome tang to the tea) faded very quickly. I couldn’t detect much of it after about the fourth or fifth infusion as I recall. The later infusions retained a good deal of complexity on the nose and in the mouth. I could still find lingering impressions of baked bread, malt, brown sugar, minerals, camphor, eucalyptus, spearmint, and wintergreen underscored by fleeting hints of honey and stone fruits without too much difficulty.

To be honest, I enjoyed this tea greatly, but to reiterate what I stated in my introductory paragraph, I just had to take a few points off due to a rough edge or two that bothered me and the tea’s price relative to its overall value. Otherwise I would have rated it higher. Though it may sound like it, I’m not calling this tea overpriced or at least I do not intend to. I have just had Sun Moon Lake black teas and other similar Taiwanese black teas at or slightly below this price point that were smoother overall. To be fair, this is still a very high quality tea and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with an interest in Taiwanese black teas. There are just a few other teas of this type that I think I prefer over this one.

Flavors: Anise, Apricot, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Cocoa, Eucalyptus, Grapes, Herbs, Honey, Leather, Malt, Mineral, Plums, Spearmint, Sweet Potatoes, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

OK, so I keep trying Taiwan teas, and I just can’t seem to get into that style. I can appreciate this one but I can’t say that I like it. The wintergreen flavor just didn’t seem to go well with the other flavors for me.
Nose; Wintergreen — lots of wintergreen, sweet potato, honey, oat straw
Palate; Wintergreen and lots of it, slight sweet potato, oat straw tea, blueberry, honey, somewhat bitter and tannic.

This is a black tea that requires attention. Very complex. In the first steep, I tasted prunes, caramel, what I imagine wet leaves to taste like, a subtle hint of pine at the back of the tongue and milk chocolate at the middle. It was dry at the end of the sip and sweetness lingered.

The second steep introduced pine gum at the front of the sip, but geez, I haven’t chewed pine gum since I was little so it could be my imagination. In the third steep the sharpness hit my tastebuds as dill!

I really enjoyed this tea. As I said, I will drink it when I can pay attention.

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 15 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Not sure what notes I’m getting out of this. It’s somewhat malty. There’s a note I just don’t like, not sure how to describe it.

I brewed this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 200 degree water for 3 min.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Still gathering my energy back after a bug this weekend. I took a night off from the gym and sat and read and drank tea. I enjoyed a gong fu sessions with this tea. With my expectations set right for the tea it was much more enjoyable for me. There is a spicy sweet flavor that I honestly have no idea how to describe, spiced raisin maybe? It was warm and calming. I am not sure that I would repurchase this one, but I am looking forward to enjoying the rest of the oz that I do have.

Yes, first to review!
This was an interesting session. I’ve had a few offerings of this type of tea, and I had no idea that Sun Moon Lake was the actual name of it. I assumed this name was a brand or something. Anyways, I was very excited to give this a shot. The leaves are massive! These long black tendrils are highly aromatic. I opened the pouch, and I was greeted with an intense sweet brown sugar scent, warmed bread, and mild spices lingering in the background. This was going to be a treat! I placed a bunch in my warmed gaiwan, and I prepared for a heavy brewing session. The warmed leaves gave off a pronounced tone of sweet potatoes and ripe plums. I washed these black beauties once and got ready to do some steeping. The steeped leaves have the most unique scent. This aroma begins as a light red wine with smooth notes. Then, there is warm baked bread in the background. Furthermore, the unique scent is that of camphor. This peculiar cooling scent follows throughout the entire session. It is prominent in the aroma and fills my tea room. The drink begins with a slight peanut flavor and wooden tone. The camphor scent appears in the flavor, and it makes itself known. The unique tone fills the mouth and follows down the hatch with a brisk cooling sensation. I also noted a mild chocolate note that filled the tongue, and this taste ends with spices. This brew is intensely stimulating and carries a thick mouth-feel. The spices in the liquor narrow to cloves or allspice. The flavor lasts long after sipping, and in further steeping a burnt sugar aftertaste follow. This smooth and flavorful session lasted quite some time. This was a wonderful brew, and it was such a special experience. The other Sun Moon Lake’s that I’ve had are quite different. This tea certainty makes an impression.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Camphor, Chocolate, Eucalyptus, Spices

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML