2018 Arbor Red

Smoke, Ash, Oak wood, Tobacco, Wood, Alcohol, Berries, Biting, Bitter, Citrus, Creamy, Decayed wood, Floral, Herbs, Leather, Malt, Medicinal, Metallic, Pleasantly Sour, Sweet, Thick, Tropical, Umami, Vanilla, Fruity, Herbaceous
Bulk
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “Glad I did not blind cake this. Given the positive word on the street I strongly considered it multiple times. But I picked up a sample w my last order. It is just smokey to me. Perhaps I am not...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is an interesting and original tea. First thing you notice is it’s smokiness, but when brewed properly more complexity and nuances can be extracted. It has a thick body for a soup that is on...” Read full tasting note
  • “I did a horrible moan of pleasure when I put the first steep in my mouth. It’s good to have one or two teas that do that for you. The balance is utterly perfect — I was expecting it to be a tannin...” Read full tasting note
  • “I agree with tperez that this is pretty much a perfect black tea. It has the savoury, woody and bitter aspects of Ye Sheng blacks, it has the sweetness and maltiness of standard Yunnan blacks and...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

Old arbor large leaf varietal tea that is usually destined to be made in raw Puer, picked and processed into dianhong style tea with sun drying. We also have a white tea version of the same material.

Arbor red is has an herbaceous fragrance and flavors that often border on medicinal. Sweetness underlies the complex flavors and heavy body of this tea. This is an enduring and heavy black tea best suited for a longer, gongfu style tea session.

About White2Tea View company

Glad I did not blind cake this. Given the positive word on the street I strongly considered it multiple times. But I picked up a sample w my last order. It is just smokey to me. Perhaps I am not brewing it right. But to me it is smoky and thin-bodied. Will have to let it rest more and try again but for now I recommend against blindcaking Arbor Red.

Flavors: Smoke

This is an interesting and original tea. First thing you notice is it’s smokiness, but when brewed properly more complexity and nuances can be extracted. It has a thick body for a soup that is on the clear side and doesn’t suggest that at a first glance.

However, at $80 a 200g cake, it deserves some tougher scrutiny as it’s somewhat pricey. It’s not “better”, well rounded, balanced or intense than some other cheaper teas, basically you’re paying for it’s originality, an unusual palette of flavours.

I like it a lot. I’m not sure if I’d buy it again (at this price).

Flavors: Ash, Oak wood, Smoke, Tobacco, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

I did a horrible moan of pleasure when I put the first steep in my mouth.

It’s good to have one or two teas that do that for you. The balance is utterly perfect — I was expecting it to be a tannin river, but it lubricates the mouth with so much bourbon, peat, smoke, and sugar. It’s very much a gushu black tea with all that promises. I was hoping I wouldn’t, but now I need a cake of this.

Elements of whiskey usually found in yunnan black, with a touch of restraint I identify in sun dried versions — like a splash of cold water in the drink. Obscenely thick both in the mouth and visibly while pouring it around. The peat taste contributes to the sensation. I agree that there’s a suggestion of medicinal that rounds the flavor further. Very lasting taste that perhaps couldn’t be called an aftertaste so much as a heavyweight finish. The brown sugar appears after swallowing, and so does the rainwatery, puddle-immersed black tea smell. My brain is trying to think of ways to turn the knob further — hotter, longer, more leaf. I really am tasting all elements of the tea as much as a minute after I’ve had it.

Started out with a 30s steep, no rinse, and continued with 25-30sec steeps. The taste is consistent along the beginning and middle period. If oversteeped, it becomes more bitter than astringent. It certainly has family resemblance to other dian hongs, but this much power in the same amount of leaf would be hard to reproduce.

Boiling 6 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

I agree with tperez that this is pretty much a perfect black tea. It has the savoury, woody and bitter aspects of Ye Sheng blacks, it has the sweetness and maltiness of standard Yunnan blacks and has the smoky and leathery notes of Fujian blacks plus much more, all contributing to its complex yet balanced nature. Other notes one can find include medicinal/herbal ones, mostly in the aroma, citrusy sourness mostly in the early steeps and the aftertaste, vanilla, honey, tropical fruits, metallic and decaying wood flavours. The aftertaste is very long and a touch biting in the throat, as well as quite floral. Of course, one of the hallmarks of this tea is its full body and creamy, smooth and thick mouthfeel. On top of that, you get a very nice warming and relaxing qi. All round high quality tea with no noticeable drawbacks. I only wish it was cheaper, but I can’t say it’s overpriced. I would highly recommend this tea, especially to people who are already familiar with the landscape of the standard Chinese black teas. Relative to those, one can really appreciate how special this tea really is.

I need to drink the white version of this tea once again to see how they compare, but at the moment this one wins for me by a mile.

Flavors: Alcohol, Berries, Biting, Bitter, Citrus, Creamy, Decayed wood, Floral, Herbs, Leather, Malt, Medicinal, Metallic, Oak wood, Pleasantly Sour, Smoke, Sweet, Thick, Tropical, Umami, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Delicious, thick and smoky, very smoky. I enjoyed it very much, and it has that uplifting and at the same time calming effect that I only get from blacks. It´s such a different experience for me as I am a mostly Pu erh drinker. Love it and it won´t last long!! cheers!!

Flavors: Fruity, Smoke, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 45 sec 3 g

I haven’t had many black teas so far, so here’s me working on that. This is an interesting black tea. The first thing that I noticed sniffing at the wet leaf was some savoury smokiness which came to me totally unexpected. It was almost barbecue-ish. That toned down quickly and by the third infusion there was still smokiness but no longer so meaty and savoury. The other dominant notes were tobacco and herbs – of the medicinal type, not those you use in the kitchen. It reminded me of those herbal medicine shops, where you can’t really pick out any one herb but it’s all mingled in a single powerful redolence. All this was backed by a thick body, slightly malty, with some underlying sweetness. In later steeps some fruitiness was present as well. The liquor was a beautiful amber color and teeming with tiny hairs when seen against the bright window. The empty cha hai had a strikingly strong sweet aroma reminiscent of herbal honey. This tea had a very gentle uplifting effect even though it was a long session.

Flavors: Fruity, Herbaceous, Smoke, Tobacco, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
derk

Ohhh, this sounds excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Hris

My pleasure :) I can’t wait to try its white counterpart.

“I’m not dead yet!” -me, not having posted on Steepster in the past three months

I find myself drinking a lot of Yunnan blacks lately, lots of pu and other things as well, but I think i’m probably drinking more black than anything else at the moment. I ordered a sample of this one from W2T, kind of secretly hoping that I wouldn’t like it too much since it’s a kind of pricey for Yunnan black. Unfortunately it’s excellent! Had to order a cake of this one as well as Censers.

It’s moderately bold and malty, has a fairly thick body, and tastes and aromas of good tobacco, dry herbs, leather, and sandalwood incense. A lot of complexity, holds up to a lot of infusions, and doesn’t get bitter easily. If I could “customize” or describe my “ideal” Yunnan black, this would pretty much be it!

My high view of this tea may in part because I’m partial to of the kind of flavor notes found in this tea, and it might not be for everyone, but I would say that it’s objectively a very high quality black. I’d strongly recommend it to those who like black teas, but also to fans of aged sheng and cigar/tobacco aficionados.

Flavors: Herbs, Leather, Malt, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
derk

Ahoy!

Made up as a larger Western style pot, since I missed the little bit of info in the tea’s description that recommends it Gong Fu and I usually don’t drink my W2T blacks that way so Gong Fu wasn’t my default. I do still have enough of my sample left to still drink it Gong Fu though, and also do a direct comparison between this and the white version…

I thought this was a really, really intense tasting black tea and looking at W2T’s description I think medicinal and herbaceous are really on the nose descriptors for the flavour. I’d also call it quite smokey though; in fact the smoke notes were the very first thing in the blend that popped out to me. Other than that, strong notes of oak wood and mahogany, some cumin, a tiny bit of malt and a tinier bit of molasses, and a borderline meaty/broth like element. I mean, it really is a very thick, rich/dense and more savory leaning type of profile. However, there’s a hint of sweetness in the undertones and very intriguingly that sweetness didn’t read as a note that I typically associate with sweeter black teas (honey, caramel, red fruits, jammyness, or stone fruit…) but as something more, well, tropical!? It took a while, about half the pot, to put a finger on it but I finally did after pulling out a tasting wheel to help pinpoint it. So what was I tasting in between all the savory, umami notes!?

Banana. The answer is banana.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this varietal and found it to be a great but very intense learning opportunity. I am honestly SO excited to compare it with the white version and see if I get anything even remotely similar to what I experienced with this tea.

Togo

Sounds interesting, now I wish I added both the white vesion and this one in my recent W2T order :(
I only got the other one.

Togo

I only got the other one.