2007 Yang Qing Hao "Huang Shan LingYa" Raw

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

2 Images

• “So I started this tea about 6 hours ago which is pretty awesome! Anyways, at this point I have tasted through quite a few different YQH productions and find that all of them have great storage,...” Read full tasting note
  • “2007 Yang Qing Hao “Huang Shan LingYa” – 5.35g in 200mL with a 10 second rinse Wet leaves smell of tobacco and prunes with a note of fruit and a hint of menthol. Going to test this one with 5g...” Read full tasting note

From Yang Qing Hao

2007 Yang Qing Hao “Huang Shan LingYa” Raw 400g

About Yang Qing Hao View company

So I started this tea about 6 hours ago which is pretty awesome!
Anyways, at this point I have tasted through quite a few different YQH productions and find that all of them have great storage, however that storage may not be to my liking all the time. Something that also stands out is the texture of these teas in general; a nice thick syrup like viscosity. There’s a clear connection with price per gram and enjoyment of the teas; a very subjective remark, but in this case I can back it up.

For a tea that is running $.41/gram, I find this to be a good deal as it will brew an entire day if you’d like for it to. It’s ready to drink now. Personally I think this is the kind of tea you drink over the course of years as it should only deepen which would be noticed by the owner as they get to know the tea. This one has more of the mineral rubbed fruit notes, very dark and dry, opposed to my favorite YQH cake the 2004 dingji yesheng.

A few notes of leather and old book hang around. Later into the brew this tea can take the three minute steeps and come out thick with the taste as if it is only in its 5th brew. Longevity and consistency.

Sqt

Trying some YQH is definitely on my list, hoping I can find someone to split a few cakes with at some point. Oh and I’ll get to drop by Wistaria in person this fall, pretty excited about that.

2007 Yang Qing Hao “Huang Shan LingYa” – 5.35g in 200mL with a 10 second rinse

Wet leaves smell of tobacco and prunes with a note of fruit and a hint of menthol. Going to test this one with 5g first then try it again later with closer to 10g of leaf in the pot.

Steep/Time: Notes
1/10s: Sort of sweet and fruity with a nice cooling menthol effect. Deep complex flavor. Very tasty! Causes a numbing/tingling sensation on the tongue.
2/18s: Accidently steeped longer than planned, but it just increased the fruity sweetness and cha qi. :) Tiny bit of bitterness as it cools.
3/15s:
4/10s: What a strange and wonderful flavor profile. Sort of sweet, fruity with this notable menthol effect/flavor
5/15s:
6/15s:
7/??s: Sweet and creamy. Really nice cup of tea.

Lots of breaks in this session do to travel, being sick and a refusal to not drink the tea until I could do it without pauses.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML
jschergen

Sidenote. But a bunch of the 2007s (Lingya, Qizhong, Jincha) were recently re-listed with a much lower price.

LucidiTea

@jschergen That’s awesome! I wonder what prompted the price reduction. Given the cost of the 2006 teas I may pick up a couple of the 2007 cakes on Emmetts next buy. Have you tried any of them? Any recommendations? The Jincha is so cheap I feel almost compelled to buy at least that one.

jschergen

I own a decent quantity of all three of them.

Jincha is one of the best values I think of the whole catalog. The other two are a touch better (but more expensive), and depend on what you like. Qizhong is more wild and strong, Lingya is more refined, soft and a touch more standard.

LucidiTea

Looks like I’ll be in for a full cake of the Jincha and either 200g or a full cake of the Qizhong on the next buy. I already have 150g or so of the Lingya. After that… I really, REALLY should stop buying tea for a little while. At least a month, LOL!