Wild Da Hong Pao from Wu Yi Shan Rock Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Astringent, Chocolate, Floral, Fruity, Nuts, Roasted nuts, Stonefruits, Vegetal, banana, Cactus Flowers, Celery, Fennel, Green Apple, Meat, Mineral, Peach, Rose, Umami, Roasted, Grain, Sweet, Tropical, Wood, Honey, Oak wood, Wet Rocks, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

5 Images

• “This is really, really good. Probably a top three oolong for me, as it brings together most of the elements of oolong that I enjoy. First of all, it exists between sweet and roast. This...” Read full tasting note
  • “Now that I got my ability to taste back, reaching for a favorite. Ahhhh… Roasted nuts, fruity, umami, mineral :). So comforting. I felt like I needed the instant calm this tea gives me. Cha Qi...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dry leaf has a very complex smell with notes of fennel, celery, roasted nuts and peach, at least as far as I could tell. After the rinse, the fruity aromas seem to be amplified, although not...” Read full tasting note
  • “Wanted something tasty and easy to drink yesterday afternoon, so started some of this. Roasty, sweet, smooth, comforting. Good, affordable oolong to enjoy any day.” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Grown naturally in a small family plot in Tong Mu Guan village in Wu Yi Shan, these Da Hong Pao varietal tea bushes have been growing without human involvement and are picked twice a year in May and late September!

The aroma is at once nuts, chocolate and floral, while the taste has these elements too, but also some slight astringency to complement it’s pungent and vibrant nature. Sweet and thick in the mouth the tea that reminds just how good unadulterated naturally grown tea can be!

Spring 2018 harvest

Only 25 kilograms this season!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This is really, really good. Probably a top three oolong for me, as it brings together most of the elements of oolong that I enjoy. First of all, it exists between sweet and roast. This multi-faceted flavor is far more complex than many the cheaper oolongs I’ve had, which I’ve enjoyed but this definitely brings new levels to the table. The roast reminds me of the dong ding from What-Cha, which I liked but did not love due to the one-dimensional taste that grew a tad boring as the steeps went on. This Da Hong Pao evolves as the sweetness and roast interact. Also, the energy it gives is really satisfying! It’s super soothing as well as warming.

I used around 4 grams in my 120ml gaiwan and used 195 degree water, steeping for random amounts of time (I’d wager around 30ish a steep after shorter beginning steepings).
Highly recommended!!

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Kawaii433

Now thinking about it, it does remind me of some What-Cha oolongs. I’m a huge fan of their vietnamese oolongs.

Cha Qi heaven.

I got the bananas this time too, derk, woohoo lol.

Yixing teapot, 5g, 110ml, 212°F, rinse, 8 steeps: rinse, 25s, 35s, 45s(I’m here at the moment), 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s, 120s

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
derk

May the palate expansion continue! I’m gong to have to try this one.

Kawaii433

Let me know if you want me to send you some with that What-Cha sample you were interested in. :) (I got like 1/10th of what Togo got out of it hehe. I was excited about getting the banana haha)

eastkyteaguy

You’re welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

derk

Kawaii433, I’d love to try it. I have a handful of people to deal tea with when I’m feeling better and you’re one of them :)

Kawaii433

derk, ok :D I’ll probably get 1/10th of yours too (like I did with Togo’s hehe). I’m just always so curious what you all find in each tea. This whole steepster experience has been so enlightening!

After the rinse, the fruity aromas seem to be amplified, although not totally dominating. It’s a beautiful smell in any case. Another note that I picked up is that of fried plantain. Later on also some more green and floral notes of rose and cactus.

The first thing I noticed when I started drinking the tea is the incredible softness of the liquor. I would say this is a full bodied tea without a dominant flavour. There are some vegetal notes, it has some fruit sweetness and sourness in the finish. A lot of complexity and a lot of associations are brought, but few persist or are strong enough to be of note. The taste profile is somewhat reminiscent of a Baozhong Oolong with a tiny bit of background roastiness adding some more depth to it. Not much astringency is present and virtually no bitterness unless pushed a lot. At least in early steeps that is. Later, there is a light celery bitterness present.

The cha qi is warming and makes me quite relaxed and easy to enter a dream-like state.

Woah, what a complex and pleasant tea. I feel like the 25g I have will not be nearly enough for me to figure this tea out, but I will surely enjoy drinking it whenever I feel like exploring and/or relaxing. It’s the kind of tea that’s really not suitable for doing something else while drinking, because it just takes all my attention.

Flavors: banana, Cactus Flowers, Celery, Fennel, Fruity, Green Apple, Meat, Mineral, Peach, Roasted nuts, Rose, Umami, Vegetal

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Flavors: Roasted, Sweet

Boiling 5 g

I bought this tea because the description sounded similar to WP’s Wildcrafted Da Hong Pao, one of my all time favorite wuyi oolongs. This tea has a lot of characteristics that I like in DHP.

At first it was a little aggressive, but after resting a few months the roast has mellowed out and the char flavor is gone. The dry leaf smells like dark chocolate and wet wood. When brewed, it has the classic wuyi rock flavor, along with some oak and a hint of florals in the finish. There’s some honey that pops in occasionally. It’s a quite potent tea so less is definitely more. I grandpa steep this with just a pinch of leaves and it can go all day.

This is a smooth, enjoyable wuyi that’s not quite as sublime as the WP one but is stellar tea in its own right and a better value at half the price.

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Oak wood, Wet Rocks

185 °F / 85 °C 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Zennenn

I love this one too. It’s my favorite work tea right now.

tanluwils

This one is boss. I find it surprisingly floral and minty. I may grab a 100g bag at Scott’s next big oolong sale.

I’m drinking the 2016 Spring version. I really like this tea. It has a wild flavor to it. It is sturdy and can be brewed multiple times. Hard to describe the flavor, it is not too roasty, kind of wild and mildly sweet. An excellent everyday oolong.

ashmanra

I had a Wuyi Shan Lapsang once that was absolutely amazing…

Bought this from the international site.

Strong. I get a big vanilla note and a big roasty note with some floral aroma. The minerality is subtle.

I did this Western style in yixing 87C, 1 tblesp, 150ml for 2min, 3min, 3min, 4min, 5min. Strength carries through the first four infusions.

5th steep is getting lighter with a soft fruit note and slight woodsiness.

I’m a little wary of brewing this in the same yixing that I use for Whispering Pines’ Wildcrafted Da Hong Pao. I wonder if the medium-strong roasty note in this tea will overwhelm the fruity flavour of the clay absorbed from the WP version. Or is that getting a little pedantic? It’s not like I can afford the WP version on a continuous basis anyway.

Can’t feel any qi with this one but I do feel rather relaxed.

Still on the hunt for a fruity DHP. I really enjoyed it though and it’s at such a great price point. If I had the budget, I honestly would order one of every DHP listed on the Yunnan Sourcing website.

nice daily drinking dahongpao. familiar notes of wood and forest, cooked celery, roasted almonds (bordering on some marzapan sweetness) and minerality.

There seem to be two alternating flavors in this tea. One I would describe as a sweet flavor, not sure how to better describe it, the other is roasted barley. The roasted barley flavor is not too intense, but mild. The roasted barley flavor also got less intense as I drank my cup. Once this flavor got less intense, a third flavor was noticed. This third flavor I would describe as mildly fruity, but just barely.

I steeped this one time in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and 190 degree water for 3 min. Overall this is excellent tea. I give it a high mark.

Flavors: Roasted Barley, Sweet