Spring 2014 Drunk on Red with Snow Chrysanthemum Sun-Dried Feng Qing Black Tea mini cake

Citrus, Floral, Lemon, Pepper, Sweet, Dill, Metallic, Mineral, Honey, Malt, Spices, Spicy, Sugar, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by SilasSteep

5 Images

• “I overleafed this quite a bit, but since it is not all tea leaves it didn’t present that much of an issue. The steeping times I kept very short though nevertheless. The smell seems to be dominated...” Read full tasting note
  • “2014 spring drunk on red with snow chrysanthemum sundries feng quing black tea mini cake by yunnan sourcing. Review: Ru Yao dragon teapot. Gongfucha. Dried leaves:...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holy fizz bomb batman! /O\ I swear it was almost bubbling on my tongue. Pretty cool. The taste is very mild. Sweet and sugary, and a side of earthy floralness that kinda morphs into a ginseng ish...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve brewed this up a bunch of times, currently doing a thermos brew of this tea. Gongfu brewing is definitely not necessary for this tea as the flowers overpower the leaves. Either way this is...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

A new blend for the year 2014! This year’s production is composed of Spring 2014 first flush Feng Qing material mixed with Snow Chrysanthemums! The tea is picked, wilted, fried, bruised by rolling, wet withered under the soon and then finally sun-dried completely. Fresh 2014 Snow Chrysanthemums are added to the black tea to bolster and complement the taste and aroma with wonderful results!

100 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo tong)

Spring 2014 harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

The smell seems to be dominated by the chrysanthemum flowers, it is slightly sweet and spicy and has a strong lemon note. The liquor has a very deep brick colour and medium body.

In the first few infusions, the tea was also on the back foot in terms of the taste, but that has changed throughout the session. I found the taste to be nicely balanced in these latter infusions with considerable bitterness, a little sweet, but still very floral and citrusy. The aftertaste has mostly the floral and spicy notes, and the drying sensation seems to be limited to the throat only. It actually reminds me a bit of some chili peppers.

Overall, I think this tea presents a nice alternative to standard teas. It is sufficiently different, but still has many qualities of a decent red tea. I can imagine that with a normal amount of leaf it can be a bit mild, but the way I brewed it this time it wasn’t a problem.

Flavors: Citrus, Floral, Lemon, Pepper, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Review:

Ru Yao dragon teapot. Gongfucha.

Dried leaves: peppery

Wet leaves: peppery, dill pickle. Floral.

Light steep; I taste/smell: (smell) light —> mineral, floral(?), pepper. (Taste) light -→ mineral(?), pepper, floral, dill pickles, ketchup(?).

Medium steep; I taste/smell: (smell) light —> mineral, pepper, seawater(?), floral(?). (Taste) light to medium -→ pepper, sweet, floral, seawater(?), metallic (iron?, copper?), mineral, dill pickle.

Heavy steep; I taste/smell: (smell) light —> mineral, pepper, seawater(?), floral(?). (Taste) medium to strong -→ pepper, floral, dill pickle.

All in all a lovely tea! Very clean, balanced, fresh, tasty, and smooth. I rate a 95/100. I recommend this tea!

Where to buy: https://yunnansourcing.com/products/spring-2014-drunk-on-red-with-snow-chrysanthemum-sun-dried-feng-qing-black-tea-mini-cake

Flavors: Dill, Floral, Metallic, Mineral, Pepper, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 5 g 6 OZ / 165 ML

Holy fizz bomb batman! /O\
I swear it was almost bubbling on my tongue. Pretty cool.
The taste is very mild. Sweet and sugary, and a side of earthy floralness that kinda morphs into a ginseng ish note in later infusions. I’ve seen it before in Chrysanthemum teas before, but not all of the ones I’ve had. I love the fizz factor, but not the odd sweetness.
I kinda get the maltiness but my brain keeps comparing it to gingerale, and confuses my ‘buds. There is no honey, more… stevia? ha.
Not much variation between the infusions, so I agree with pmunney, this is a nice office tea… if I rest it beforehand. I’ll need to break off pieces from the cake and bring them into the office, as I don’t want to keep my cake in my desk drawer.

I’ve brewed this up a bunch of times, currently doing a thermos brew of this tea. Gongfu brewing is definitely not necessary for this tea as the flowers overpower the leaves. Either way this is really just a pleasant, warm, and comforting sipper. Nothing complex or out of the ordinary, just an easy-drinker for winter, in a good way. Malty sweet feng qing meets spicy floral chrysanthemum. For the price it’s a good office tea.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Malt, Spices, Spicy, Sugar, Wood