drank Teas' Tea Green Hoji by Ito En

I’ve found a green tea that I like!!! Actually, I really like it! I picked this up at the Whole Foods in Winston Salem, NC. I’ve been working in NC since Monday morning and just got back today. Yay!

I was upset that Whole Foods didn’t have Ito En’s Golden Oolong (my favorite of theirs) and picked this out purely due to the “roasted” aspect. I’m not a green tea lover. I’ve tried to like it. I want to like it. But I just…don’t. I will say that I enjoy green tea blends. But frankly, the components in the “blend” usually mask most of the green tea flavor. Samovar’s Moorish Mint comes to mind. I love that blend…and it contains green tea. But do I taste it? No, not really. I’ve found that if I think of straight up green tea as a broth or veggie soup of some sort, I can usually finish most of the cup. I’m just not into the vegetal taste.

Anyway, I was brave and picked up this Green Hoji. It doesn’t taste like a typical green tea at all. Very roasted, coffee notes…no vegetal taste at all. It smells like burnt peanuts…and I mean that in the best of ways. It also smells and tasted kind of like that puffed wheat breakfast cereal. There is a bitterness, but it’s not an over-steeped type of bitterness. It works for the tea. It’s rich, dark roasted, peanutty, puffed wheat goodness. As far as bottled teas go, this one is a real winner.

I’ll be sure to seek out roasted green teas in the future.

Iced
Elyse

I’ve found i can’t drink bottled green tea. They always seem overly bitter to me, and i always thought it was just that the people making it didn’t know how to steep the tea right.Usually i’d have to pick a fruity or sparkling green tea drink. I shall have to test out a roasted kind.

LENA

This one won big points for being both bottled AND green. I just haven’t found a green tea that’s right for me yet. But now I know to search for roasted greens. I’m more of an oolong and black tea lover…now I can add one more to the list. sigh :)

Suzi

Ito En makes really good bottled teas. :) Their jasmine green is wonderful (although it sounds like this would really not be a tea for you :-p ) I didn’t know Whole Foods carried them…I’ve always bought it at Japanese and Chinese markets.

Comments

Elyse

LENA

Suzi

lover of tea, travel, good food, nerdy stuff, tattoos, great danes, sushi, beer, netflix, UFC, reading…and of course, my kick-ass husband.

MURFREESBORO, TN