Picked from old trees in Yunnan, much larger buds than other white teas.
Da Bai Hao, or ‘Big White Bud’, is a very famous tea varietal. It gets its name from the very long soft buds, covered in fine white hairs. It is cultivated extensively in Fujian province to produce White Teas such as Silver Needle, but old trees grow semi-wild in Yunnan. The buds are dried and baked to make a tea similar to Silver needle Pekoe, but much larger and with a more pronounced aroma – the result of picking from old trees, not cultivars.
 (from the Canton site)

5/24/14

2013 from Jinggu, Yunnan, China
Dry leaf – Huge long silver needles!!! Scent is a little more complex though,,,a note like a tomato with sugar on it (if anyone eats that). The leaves are so soft, like velvet, and large enough that I could pick up and feel on my cheek and lip how fuzzy soft they were.

Brewed this Western style at 185F
6 grams tea (filled the whole basket up) and 500 ml water/2 cups

Steeped 3”

Wet leaf- the most huge silver needle buds I have ever seen,,,,but more complex smelling than silver needle. Smell like Ya Bao with notes of subtle persimmon thrown in with the creamy white tea notes. The buds could still open up a bit more too so this one will be good for re-steeping.

Liquor- a light pearl, pale gold color with scents of light persimmon.

Flavor- Sugar, tomato, persimmon, cream.
VERY complex and VERY delicious!!!!!!

Resteeped and still had lots of flavor and the same notes,, none of the notes had faded. Very good.

6/18/14
Tasting some more of this today and it definitely tastes wild. It has that complexity and wild bud flavor to it. It tastes like Sheng that I’ve had.
____________________________________________________________________________
7/22/14
Drinking the last of this today. So interesting,,,so like sheng. Love how large and fuzzy the leaves are. Will have to order more of this next time if they offer some more from the next year.

Flavors: Cream, Fruity, Red Fruits, Sugar