drank Creamy Oolong by SOKO Tea House

I got this to go at some point, but didn’t pay much attention to it while I was drinking it (I was cramming for my exams at the time); I do remember remarking to myself that it was darker than milk oolongs that I’ve tried, and nuttier (I didn’t actually think it WAS a milk oolong, as I hadn’t seen the dried leaf, and it was less ‘green’ tasting).

SOKO’s recently decided to phase out a few of their lesser-selling teas, and so they packaged them up in increments of 100g, for 50% off (as well as a bunch of old teaware); I decided to pick this up because I remembered liking it (although I was hesitant about committing to 100g, but what the heck, I bought 100g from Tea Desire the other day too, since they’re shutting down and had pre packaged teas for 50% off as well).

I decided I’ve been good lately. Been working hard on a giant cupboard-purge. Got from 59 teas down to 34! (Give or take; bought from tea desire, finished another, bought Creamy Oolong—34 now). Finishing off all the teas that have sat at the back of my cupboard going stale. Teas I ignored because I got them and decided I didn’t like them (seems hypocritical that while I’m doing this I’m also committing to 4oz of two teas I don’t know if I’ll love either).

Dry this smelled deliciously of cream. Almost vanilla-like. Quite rich. Steeped, the liquor is a pale gold, and smells… of butter. It was slightly off-putting. From here I’ve assumed that this is probably of the human-intervention, intentionally flavoured milk oolong. Not the natural kind.

It doesn’t TASTE artificial, or like any cream or milk has been added. It’s not foggy, just a pretty clear gold. The leaves were a dark green, rolled. The liquid tastes bakey, not green, faintly nutty and with hints of a sweet cream. The site describes it as tasting of orchid, which I think seems apt. It’s a not-quite-there vanilla that’s more floral. Almost buttery feel and taste, but luckily not as literal as in the sense of the smell.

I definitely like it. For now. Hoping I don’t regret one-hundred grams. It’s been a while since I’ve bought that much of one tea.

I’d like to compare this to the greener milk oolong I have on-hand from Teavivre. Since that one’s definitely unflavoured. I’ll keep that post for my teatra.de blog.