Green Tea
Flowers, Grass, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Two things today, tea and a rant. I'm writing about tea first so anyone who wants to skip the rant may do so. ;) Tea: I like this! It's very grassy and slightly bitter, similar to a sencha but...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “Tried this iced and paired with dinner: I'm working on my iced technique still - I tried using 50% more leaf than usual and following usual steeping parameters. So, I used 6 heaping tsp. leaves...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 829 tasting notes
  • “Something I ordered back in September from Adagio. I wanted to give some of their teas a try based on amazing reputation I had heard, and chose a green that was particularly hard to find. This...” Read full tasting note
    Earthernchild 60 tasting notes
  • “A light green tea with a pleasantly nutty underbelly -- okay, okay: undertone (undertaste?) -- that is very interesting, particularly since it comes from the addition, apparently, of twigs. Well...” Read full tasting note
    ambientqueenie 16 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from Japan that is an unusual combination of green leaves and thin white twigs. Twigs you say? Yes, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the results. A sweet infusion with herbal overtones and welcome hints of chestnuts. When feeling adventuresome, please give our ‘Kukicha Baton’ tea a try. And revel in its unique, playful taste.

About Adagio Teas View company

Very pleasantly light green tea taste, but can take on a horrible grassy flavor if you over steep.

Seth Collins

I know what you mean, and it’s pretty bad! Also if you brew multiple times it can start to stink easily in your pot. It also leaves a lot of residue at the bottom of the cup.

My favorite green — has a nice clean, somewhat grassy (but not too grassy like other greens I’ve had) taste. Good overall balance. Be careful not to oversteep, but its not as sensitive as other teas I’ve had.

Oh, this is beautiful. It’s got a wonderful smoothness, with a dry aroma of sweet and nutty grass, that gives way slightly to a brewed fragrance reminiscent of steamed vegetables and freshly-mown lawn. This probably doesn’t sound as delicious as it is. It’s got a lovely gentle sweetness and has a smooth, very soft mouthfeel. A quintessentially green tea in the best possible way, really.

I have like a million things to be stressed about at the moment (like the way that my banking app seems to be really rubbish with actually showing me how much money I have in real time, so I keep getting unpleasantly surprised by how poor I am, GREAT) so it’s really nice to have something mellow and nice to make me feel all warm and happy in the evening.

Probably my favorite tea from Adagio. Very sweet and medium body with no bitterness. Pleasant sweet grassy aroma! Excellent through 3 infusions (45 s, 15 s, 30 s @ 79 C). I know the 2nd one for 15 s does not seem like much, but it works very well.

Flavors: Flowers, Grass, Honey

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Well, finace says it tastes like drinking a pine needle tea, but as he’s never had pine needle tea, and it’s definitely more grassy and toasty than that, I’m inclined to discount the thought. There’s a nice aftertaste of something chestnutty that lingers here too.

I made a mug of Kukicha as my first this morning. The aroma of the dry tea leaves is wonderful — it reminds me vaguely of yerba mate (the lighter color and stems contributes to this also).

The resulting infusion is great as a morning tea — not too much vegetal or ocean comes through. Could be my go-to green tea for mornings before I hit the gym.

I think it is important to try a tea couple of times before you comment on it. For me this tea is a prefect example of why i say this.

As i have said before, green tea is not my favorite. When i first started drinking this tea i did not like it at all b/c i felt it was way to grassy for me. i made it a couple more times and could not finish the cup. Each time making it differently so that i could try to get it to good for me. It was way to grassy for me.

Well i did. It is still not my favorite tea but it is okay. It is grassy. It is a smooth grassy taste. If you are a green taste drinker then you will probably like this tea.

Wow.. I really smell the roasted chestnut flavor! It’s a savory style tea and reminds me of the Adagio artichoke green tea. It’s a little powdery, light to medium flavor, very smooth, and has a pretty light green color to it. For me it tastes more savory than sweet…

I ordered a sample of this in the past and having largely forgotten about the tea ordered a 4 oz. bag. I’m glad I did. The tea, as some before me have noted, isn’t the most complex or aggressively grassy green tea.

I coaxed out its light sweetness with just below boiling water and steeping time of 2 minutes without any problem. The ending notes of nuttiness are also present and enjoyable. Some of the typical green “grassy bitterness” is present in the background, but it is exceptionally smooth for a green tea.

I’ve only had a couple cups of Kukicha so far, but it seems like a tough tea to mess up. Because of its lack of complexity its not the type of tea where you notice something different each brewing, but its also not the type of tea that you love one minute only to find yourself repulsed with the next cup.

Good until the aftertaste which tastes like the dried leaves smell – a bit sickeningly sweet.