Orchid Oolong

Oolong Tea
Flowers, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Joshua Smith

• “I wanted something a bit lighter today, so I diceided to make this tea again. The first infusion used ~170 degree water, and steeped for 30 seconds. It was surprisingly sweet, but not quite as much...” Read full tasting note
    smitty1110 240 tasting notes
  • “Ok, I had this at a tea bar yesterday and I think they may have made this wrong...it was very light in color, as if it was a white tea I was drinking and the flavor was very watered down. I could...” Read full tasting note
    shae050 132 tasting notes
  • “I have teabags of this that I really enjoy traveling with because the tin was full of individually wrapped bags. The flavor is super mild, sweet, and floral. I steeped this for 2 minutes for the...” Read full tasting note
    Zimaleah501 254 tasting notes
  • “Very light color, looks like a white tea. Nose is sweet, honeysuckle. Flavor is very light -- would brew it 5 min next time. Small bite aftertaste.” Read full tasting note
    gormaya 16 tasting notes

From Art of Tea

Our Orchid Oolong tea leaves are grown in the hilltops of Nantou Taiwan amongst often covered in clouds and midst and surrounded by fresh streams and the cool crisp air of the high mountains. The leaves are hand picked then basket tossed to create a semi-oxidized leaf. Once the cells in the leaves are broken they are left to softened in the sun for two hours, then rolled for 20 minutes. This bruises the leaves and brings the juice to the surface. The juice oxidizes when it makes contact with the mountain air, a process known as oxidization. The whole process lasts three hours, after which the leaves are quickly heated to stop the oxidization. After oxidization the leaves are rolled into kernels that wait to unfold when brewed in your pot. The special grade oolong leaves are 25-40% oxidized. It has a natural lilac flavor unique to its own and can be brewed multiple times. Each time unlocking a unique flavor. The taste is full and smooth, with a fresh orchid finish. Oolong has a tradition of being used for general weight control.

Water Temperature: 200 F degrees
Caffeine Content: Medium
Steep Time: 3 minutes
Ingredients: Oolong Tea Leaves
Origin: Nantou, Taiwan

About Art of Tea View company

Art of Tea is a tea importer and wholesaler based in Los Angeles, California. We hand blend and custom craft the world’s finest organic teas and botanicals. Our teas are carefully selected directly from growers, each one offering a unique story.

I wanted something a bit lighter today, so I diceided to make this tea again. The first infusion used ~170 degree water, and steeped for 30 seconds. It was surprisingly sweet, but not quite as much as the orchid Oolong that Verdant offered last year. That’s the real problem with this tea: I’ve had a different version of the tea which tasted better, and I’m alway comparing the two and this tea just falls a bit short. Anyway, it’s still a lovely tea, with pleasant flowery notes an a nice lingering aftertaste, and it matches well iwth the beautiful warm weather today.

Ok, I had this at a tea bar yesterday and I think they may have made this wrong…it was very light in color, as if it was a white tea I was drinking and the flavor was very watered down. I could barely taste any oolong at all and no floral notes, just a vague sweet note. So I have come to the conclusion that they used too much water or not enough tea, either way I am pretty sure this was watered down and not how this should taste, so I wont rate it until I try it again.

VegTea

Oh, bummer! You would think at a tea bar they would know how to prepare each tea correctly. Maybe it was just a fluke?

I have teabags of this that I really enjoy traveling with because the tin was full of individually wrapped bags. The flavor is super mild, sweet, and floral. I steeped this for 2 minutes for the first 3 infusions, and 3 minutes for the next 2, 4 minutes for the third. Definitely a soft flavor, but very tasty.

Flavors: Flowers, Honey

Very light color, looks like a white tea.

Nose is sweet, honeysuckle.

Flavor is very light — would brew it 5 min next time. Small bite aftertaste.

This brews up to be a much lighter color than you would expect. The first time I brewed it, it was for 5 minutes and I double checked the tea timer after I saw the color. It’s a delicate, floral cup, and like the other reviewer said, it’s more like a white tea. I’ve debated brewing it for longer, but I do like the lightness of it.

Very delicate tea. Mild coloring. Not like a typical oolong at all. Color is mild, but feels very full and thick on the tongue. Smell is sweet yet slightly vegetal.

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Love the light floral note. I don’t get any bitterness from this cup at all.