Shincha Kunpu

Green Tea
Peas
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

• “WOW. I'm the first to log!? Surprising... This is a no non-sense type tasting green. It's fairly strong and sweet but almost on the verge of grassy towards the end of the sip onto the...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “I don't often drink green teas, but I have a fondness for Senchas, especially these first flush ones from Den's tea. The broth looks like lemon-lime Gatorade and smells like fresh grass, Miso and...” Read full tasting note
    triumph 100 tasting notes
  • “Yay for 2011 Shincha! I was surprised by the leaf of this asamushi (light-steamed) shincha; I mean, I _assume_ it is light steamed. There were some extremely long, beautiful needles, but also a...” Read full tasting note
    Shinobi_cha 280 tasting notes
  • “Nice sweetness and vegetable character. Not a great deal of intensity, just some restrained sweet and grassy flavour notes. Good but not especially memorable. Buy Again: Probably not” Read full tasting note
    camw 26 tasting notes

From Den's Tea

Origin: Honyama, Shizuoka

Shincha Kunpu is an Eighty-Eighth (88th) Night Shincha that is lightly steamed. It has a great woodsy aroma and a natural sweetness like very fresh green vegetables.

Eighty-Eighth (88th) Night Shincha refers to Shincha picked on the 88th day after the first day of spring in the traditional Japanese calendar. It is around May 2nd. The Eighty-Eighth (88th) Night – “Hachijuhachiya” in Japanese – is a special day in Japanese agriculture since it is considered about the time all the plants and vegetation begin to sprout.

Den’s Preferred Brewing:
Water: 2oz @ 160F
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 rounded teaspoon
Steep: 90 sec
2nd Cup: Water @ 180F; Steep 30 sec

About Den's Tea View company

WOW. I’m the first to log!? Surprising…

This is a no non-sense type tasting green. It’s fairly strong and sweet but almost on the verge of grassy towards the end of the sip onto the aftertaste. Mostly it reminds me of buttered veggies…broccoli, maybe!? Or Asparagus!? Regardless…pretty good.

Shinobi_cha

Yay…finally someone tried this! If you have any more thoughts on it later, share them! Did you just get a sample?

malomorgen

16 left. looks like today is the day :D

TeaEqualsBliss

I got a sample…but have enough for another cup or two…

Shinobi_cha

Oh ok. I want to try a sample of this tea, but since you just have a sample no worries. When I order from them again I can probably ask for a sample of it, they are usually really cool like that. :-)

I don’t often drink green teas, but I have a fondness for Senchas, especially these first flush ones from Den’s tea. The broth looks like lemon-lime Gatorade and smells like fresh grass, Miso and seaweed. I probably brewed this a little hot; nonetheless, this is such a pure, essential tea, so reminiscent of the terroir from which it springs; drinking it is akin to hauling oysters out of the cold Gulf of Maine, shucking them and pouring the icy cold meat down your throat. There are some elemental tastes that should never be diluted. This tremendously fresh and energizing tea is one of them.

TheTeaFairy

Oh my! I will now forever see Gatorade in my Sencha because of you!! That phosphorescent yellow -green colour, so true!
I love the imagery of this review…it takes just a few words, spot on.

Doug F

Thanks! I love the tea. When I drink it I feels like I’m chewing on the newest shoots of spring.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

I um really want an oyster now.

Yay for 2011 Shincha!

I was surprised by the leaf of this asamushi (light-steamed) shincha; I mean, I assume it is light steamed. There were some extremely long, beautiful needles, but also a lot of smaller, broken-up bits. To me, that suggests this is perhaps not just lightly steamed, but maybe mid-steamed (chumushi) or between asa and chu…
So that surprised me a little, as I was expecting to find mostly needles.

I also brewed this a little lower than the suggested 160F (it wasn’t intentional, but I knew it was happening and just went with it). However, the color came out to a beautiful greenish-yellow, just like the color of the smiley face you see when you rate a tea (the one without the tongue sticking out). The color of the liquor, however, (for all 1st-4th infusions) confirmed that this is definitely not a deep-steamed tea.

Upon first sip, I was reminded of the first time I had shincha, one year ago. A very fun memory, and cool that even though I had forgotten the way it tasted, one sip was all it took to bring back the moment!

The flavor, that I can say after this one brewing, was a nice balance of bitter, sweet, and steamed veggies (very much like fresh snap peas) – Den’s Tea describes it as “a sweetness like very fresh green vegetables”, and I’d say that is very accurate.

I look forward to having more/experimenting with different ways of brewing it. Glad that it is shincha season again; even though our modern-day storage methods keep tea just as fresh for a year or more as the stuff that is newly harvested, there is still something special about drinking a tea that was harvested just last week!

Buy Again: Probably not

Shinobi_cha

Just remember, this year was particularly hard on the Shizuoka harvest (early frosts). You probably wouldn’t want to buy it again (if I were in your shoes I probably wouldn’t), but if you get the opportunity to sample a better harvest year, do so. At least, I get the impression his Shincha Kunpu is very good, but this year was nothing special because of the weather.

camw

Thanks for the comment. Will keep it in mind when drawing up the list to order next time around!

Shinobi_cha

One cool thing about Den’s tea – you can request for a free 10g sample of any of their teas. Obviously they kind of hope you will order something, but if next year you planned on buying a shincha from Den’s and wanted to try the Kunpu, I’m sure you could request a sample. I highly recommend his Hashiri Shincha (I didn’t get to try the Kunpu, but I did get the Houryoku, and the Hashiri was even better). I’m planning on buying or at least sampling the Kunpu next time around.

Second green tea of the morning here; evidently my plans for the day include getting all wired up on Japanese green teas.

I got this as a 1 oz. sampler pack along with the Shincha Houryoku. Of the two, I think the Houryoku is my favorite. the Kunpu is definitely lighter in color and in flavor and doesn’t have the longer steaming. In color it’s a light yellowish-green.

The flavor of this is very tender and light. It reminds me of gentle cooked vegetables like peas. Some Japanese greens have a more bitter green quality or that of seaweed. This shincha is more on the mild side with a bit of butteriness present and only a bit of astringency.

If you don’t like senchas that are assertive or bitter, you should check out these shinchas from Den’s. I’m really glad I bought them both this year! The package says they are best by February 2015 — I believe I can drink them both in this time frame.

Flavors: Peas