Guricha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Frank W.

• “Green tea of the morning here, I actually like this one a lot but seem to be neglecting it for some reason. Today I'm feeling like it's quite brothy and slightly vegetal, very nice compliment to...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2353 tasting notes
  • “This is cloudy and has a texture to it but it's a lovely green. It's mellow and calming but quite flavorful without being grassy or bitter. I would say it's semi-pan fried and almost popcorn...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “I received a free sample of this tea with a Den's Tea order - it's always great when a company does stuff like this because it allows me to try new teas without having to spend money on a larger...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1587 tasting notes
  • “Thank you to *TeaEqualsBliss* for sending me some of this tea. Wow! This is really quite delightful... mellow tasting, no sharpness, the vegetative flavors are mild and sweet, along with a...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes

From Den's Tea

Guricha is different from Sencha both in appearance and taste. This tea benefits from a specific process that creates a tea similar in appearance to the pan-fired teas of China. Guricha is steamed and fashioned into “comma” shaped leaves by omitting the final kneading process.

Origin: Ureshino, Saga
Harvest: First Flush 2010
Species: Yabukita

Tasting Profile:
Aromatic leaves brew a milder and less astringent cup than a typical Sencha.

Den’s Preferred Brewing:
Water: 3oz boiled
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 rounded teaspoon
Steeping: 60 sec
2nd Cup: Water boiled; Steep 15 sec

About Den's Tea View company

Green tea of the morning here, I actually like this one a lot but seem to be neglecting it for some reason. Today I’m feeling like it’s quite brothy and slightly vegetal, very nice compliment to the bowl of blackberries I’m eating. See previous notes for more info.

Last night I was at meditation and feel quite well balanced and relaxed to start the week off right!

This is cloudy and has a texture to it but it’s a lovely green. It’s mellow and calming but quite flavorful without being grassy or bitter. I would say it’s semi-pan fried and almost popcorn tasting. This is nice!

I received a free sample of this tea with a Den’s Tea order – it’s always great when a company does stuff like this because it allows me to try new teas without having to spend money on a larger quantity of a tea that I might potentially not even like.

This one has a flavour I’m more used to tasting in Chinese green teas rather than Japanese greens. It has a full-bodied, savory flavour rather than the grassy notes I’m used to tasting in sencha and gyokuros. The resteep also produces a nice, flavourful cup even though I followed the directions and only steeped it for 15 seconds.

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me some of this tea.

Wow! This is really quite delightful… mellow tasting, no sharpness, the vegetative flavors are mild and sweet, along with a sweet, nutty flavor that makes for an extremely smooth cup. Very little astringency with this.

This would be a great green tea for those who find the stronger flavors of Sencha to be a little off for them… this is so smooth and sweet and likable. Really wonderful.

I got a sample of this, and it is very nice.
I’d call it a pleasant, every-day kind of sencha. It’s grassy, a little sweet, and there’s very little about it that I think non-green tea drinkers would find unpleasant. The 2nd and 3rd infusions were also very dark, almost like a fukamushi, but it seems to be light-steamed.

I’m glad to have finally tried this, and I’d recommend it for anyone new to Japanese tea.

One of the first ones I have had from Den’s that I don’t particularly care to buy again. Its taste is like a cross between sencha and the bancha suruga, it is not bad, but the taste was just a little too “strong”. Worth a try if you’ve never had it before because the taste is so unique it is hard for me to describe….almost a vegetable broth, but not quite. Definitely full of taste and caffeine.