Traditional Yerba Mate Tea Bags

Earth, Leather, Smoke, Wet Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe

2 Images

From Guayaki

Enjoy the smooth full-bodied flavor and distinct aroma of our premium-quality, rainforest-grown yerba mate.

About Guayaki View company

This was my first time trying yerba mate. I was careful not to use too hot of water since I was warned that would make the tea too bitter. The result was pretty good, but not something I’ll turn to regularly. Good, but not my cup of tea.

I brewed this one for 10 minutes as the upper end suggested as one that likes strong tea. Yerba Mate is hard to describe as it has both a mellow smoothness to it which is a bit like puerh but a light freshness to it which is a bit like green tea. Nice for something different and could be a possible tea alternative but not something that I plan on drinking too often.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

Compares to a strong green camellia tea, but Mum says I can re-steep thrice, and below boiling. Energizing.

This is weird. I don’t know what to think of it. I went the “mate latte” route, as described on the bag, by adding a tiny bit of sugar and cream. It’s currently 6:30 in the morning and I’m at work for overtime. I can’t keep my eyes open, so I figured now was a good time to bust open this bag.

It kind of reminds me of a pu-erh, which I’m not a big fan of. It has that smoky, earthy taste to it, but not fishy like most of the pu-erhs I’ve tried, so it does have that going for it. Maybe I’m just not used to pure, regular yerba mate. The only mate I’ve ever had has always been blended with other flavors, like cocoa, chocolate, or coffee. I’ll keep giving this a try. Don’t want to let a giant bag of tea go to waste.

Flavors: Earth, Leather, Smoke, Wet Wood

Full-flavored and roasty mate. Satisfying and nicely warming for this cold January day. Would be a good base for adding ‘dark’ complementary flavors like cocoa nibs/vanilla, if you’re about that as I sometimes am. I don’t think it’d work so well with citrus or other bright flavors. This would also be a great one to add to your coffeemaker if you’re looking for a coffee-mate blend. Decent also on its own.

Good for 1 or 2 solid re-brews.

I do like supporting Guayaki but I actually like Lupicia’s plain mate a bit better though I don’t know anything about their socio-economic sourcing.

Ash Wednesday equals fast day for teaqueen. My friend who spent some time in South America once told me that maté helps with hunger, so naturally I reached for this this morning.

Nice and smoky and slightly vegetal. Woke me up and distracted me from thinking about food.

Yerba Maté for the win!

Teaqueen, have you been fasting for a long time? I’ve been doing that for a couple of years now, one day every week also. I had heard it had many health benefits to do it just once a week and decided to try it. I saw a difference within a few weeks, I always feel so good and energized the next day. I have only water though, no tea :-(

Yes! I’ve fasted every Ash Wednesday and Good Friday since I was fifteen, but this year I’ve decided to fast once a week during Lent and see what happens. I feel great today- energized and happy, so I agree- I think it’s a good thing to do. :)

Was in a hurry this morning, so I decided to throw a few teabags of mate in the to go mug. Green tea never tastes good in the mug, so this is just to get me started before I get to work and can have a proper cup of tea. Mate gives me wings.

This tea is excellent iced ot hot. The flavor takes some getting used to, as it is a little strong ad grass, like most mate’. It has less caffeine than coffee, but enough to give you a boost when you need it.