Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “It is our twenty-sixth wedding anniversary today and to celebrate I wanted to...do what we do most Friday nights and get Chinese take out! LOL! i guess I am pretty low maintenance! At least, I...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1848 tasting notes
  • “I was kind of nervous about this tea, because, if you've read my bio you'd know that I don't really care much for red robe Oolong teas, but I decided to break out of my comfort zone in a big way...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4449 tasting notes
  • “Monday morning tea success! And much needed too! My office Bigwig will soon be arriving. You know the type, right? The Bigwig lives in a totally different state and has no idea how to do your...” Read full tasting note
    LFINCH 161 tasting notes
  • “When teas are fired over three hundred degrees, the Maillard reaction occurs... and what that simply means is that there will be nutty and sweet undertones which will make your life that much better.” Read full tasting note
    harneytea 157 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

An exquisite example of the more traditional, darker style oolong. After the leaves are harvested, they are twisted and allowed to oxidize much longer. The darker tea tastes of more heavily cooked sugars and fruits like molasses and roasted peaches. This Da Hong Pao retains a vibrant fruit flavor through the smokey tastes of charcoal firing.

About Harney & Sons View company

I’m about half way through my Harney’s. It’s a good solid Oolong. The first steep is always a bit nutty for me, but the second is really good.

Recently i became obsessed with WuYi oolongs.
This is a sample i bought fr H&S couple months ago. The tea is expensive so i decided to rather try small sample. I was a bit disappointed ,its was only 5.4g in a packet and at least 1g of it just dust. Boo
alright, 5.4g 100ml gaiwan 195F
rinse/ short steeps
the tea is complex. Sweet, spicy, roast, charcoal, some floral in the background and raw walnuts. maybe a hint of dried apricots but its masked because of heavy charcoal. I did enjoyed it. i dont think i would buy it because i just not in love with it.
So far I really like Tao Tea Leaf version.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Kirkoneill1988

how much was the packet?

boychik

The sample is $5 crazy right? Next is tin 1.5 oz for $12. Since H&S local to me and this tea has such a raving reviews I wanted to give it a try minimally . It’s good but I tried better ones.

Terri HarpLady

I do love a roast wuyi oolong…sigh… I need more time for tea drinking!

Kirkoneill1988

@ boychik, I’ve seen worse :(

boychik

@Terri, as much as I love roast Wuyi this one masking all the other flavors and not enough lasting sweetness ( for me;)

boychik

@Kirk, I’m not too upset. It’s a first time I got dust fr H&S. I value this company highly, after all it’s my first company I started my tea journey

I just read the entry on Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) in The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea. I concur that this is more the “old style” of oolong, which is probably why I don’t like it nearly as much as the greener, less-oxidized oolongs I’ve been drinking of late. For years, I shunned oolong because it made me feel queasy. My concept of the genre was exhausted by the highly oxidized, dark-roasted kind, and I probably only tried inexpensive, low-grade varieties (filterbags and restaurant tea), so I knew nothing about the broader oolong horizons.

The flavor of this tea is very toasty and cooked, not fresh and creamy. Yet it is not as dark and rich as a full-fledged black tea.

Fortunately, this Da Hong Pao from Harney & Sons did not make me feel sick, but I won’t order it again, now that my sample is exhausted. This is probably very good, for what it is, but it’s not really my style.

A chacun son goût…

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 45 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

DHP is better short steeped;)

sherapop

Thanks for the tip, boychik! I have a Steepster Select sample of that tea, so I’ll follow your advice and see how it goes. :-)

I got a sample of this to try since I am new to tea.

It tasted earthy and vegetaly to me. I did not taste any peach as stated on the website.

So this is the first tasting note form the steepster select October box. I was so excited that I quickly grabbed the gaiwan and heated some water. Warmed the gaiwan and proceed. It has a very nice amber color. Rght off the back I catch the fruitiness from the smell. When tasting it a little nuttiness came through, but mostly the fruit took center stage. Nice;)

A very good quality Oolong and a pleasure to drink. I did however find the first steep a little too woody but it is only very marginal. This tea is definitely worth a sample.

A super oolong tea, everything about it oozes quality.