Nilgiri, BOP

Chocolate, Malt, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Devilish
Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

From Lupicia

A blend of Nilgiri tea produced in southern India. Mild taste and fine aroma.

About Lupicia View company

A smooth cup with mild astringency to start my precious Sunday. Interestingly it has a slightly savoury aftertaste.

This was another of the three I used at work to get me going. I use Nilgiri as my everyday black based on its consistent quality and low price. I’ve heard great things about this company, and this will the first of their products I’ve have tasted. The leaf quality does not lie; this is BOP. The flavor was very malty with subtle chocolate tones. This was all encapsulated by a woodsy flavor. This wasn’t a terrible brew, but it wasn’t the best either. This helped a lot though in motivating me.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a pretty average black tea, which is expected given the BOP grade. A faint raisin note, as well as loamy earth, slightly acidic. It’s strong, but leans toward the bitter and astringent side.

This tea is brisk and I am just not loving it. My tastes have evolved so that I can now enjoy straight blacks that are fruity or dessert-like but I am not quite at the point where teas like this appeal to me. Oh well. Also, I tried adding some milk and that didn’t do much for it. 284.

Best Nilgiri I’ve found is from Teabox…glendale twirl. Happy to send you a sample if you like! It really changed my mind about Nilgiris. (that looks funny plural)

Ooh. Not looking forward to this, then. I suspect we have similar back preferences.

This tea came in the Lupicia grab bag a few months ago and I was in no hurry to open it as the expiration date is sometime in 2015. Still this morning I thought I would give it a go…

The tea I got in my pouch does not look like the one in the picture on Steepster, it’s full of fine tiny broken leaves (BOP = Broken Orange Pekoe). I steeped this for 2 minutes per the package directions even though I was skeptical this would be enough time.

I got a nice dark cup that is very brisk with a citrus note. This has slightly too much tannin in it for me to really like it a lot. I can’t really drink it plain but it’s better with soymilk and sugar. Nilgiris are supposed to make good iced teas so maybe I will try it that way when the weather is warmer. Also I remember the Tao of Tea made a Nilgiri mixed with lemon myrtle that was pretty good, so perhaps lemon would be nice with this. Anyway I am not too excited about this one, it’s just kind of mediocre and reminds me of what you would get in a Lipton teabag but hopefully does the job in waking me up.

2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML