Tzar Alexandre

Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “The weather has been so bad that somehow I am finding myself buying new teas in April! Picking new teas often is an autumn thing for me. But I was craving vanilla tea which somehow I just did not...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 328 tasting notes
  • “I could not find an English translation of this. I ordered this tea from Mariages Freres in Paris because it is smoky. As a lover of lapsang souchongs, I expected to like this and I love...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “This is a sample kindly sent by *cteresa*. This is clearly not a tea I would have bought by myself because I am not familiar with Lapsang Souchong and was quite afraid of. But I am nicely...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 339 tasting notes
  • “Thanks for the sample of this Rachel! You're a peach! This has just the right amount of smokiness to still be able to taste the smoothness and the black tea overall. There is a clue of citrus...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

Our own Russian blend, featuring silver tips, is famous for its grand finesse and slightly smoky fragrance.

This masterpiece by Mariage Frères is named after the Russian czar who introduced Parisians to Russian-style tea in 1814.

About Mariage Frères View company

The weather has been so bad that somehow I am finding myself buying new teas in April! Picking new teas often is an autumn thing for me. But I was craving vanilla tea which somehow I just did not have at home, and found myself returning home with 50 grams each of vanilla tea and nothing less than 2 emperors. The vanilla tea, I will get to it because first brew has not been what i wanted, but this Tzar Alexandre, oh my, am sort of in love. Though a warning, this is a very personal love.

I love lapsang souchong but usually prefer the bergamot in earl greys to not be too strong. This is a light lapsang souchong with light bergamot and somehow tea body. It´s awesome, like how did nobody think of this before, where has this concept been all my life? BUT a warning, not sure if this is a tea for those who do not love lapsang.

The brewing details are not a recommendation, just a note. I brewed it slightly too hot and/or slightly too long, will experiment a bit with it. It survived wrong brewing details with honors, but I think it will be better with water some 5 or 10 degrees cooler.

Ysaurella

was hesitant about this one last time I went to have a tea drink at Mariage tea room, finally I took another one (9 € the teapot makes you think about which tea you really want to taste !)

cteresa

9€ a teapot oh that is enough to buy 100 grams and some left over! Indeed, I might be a miser and prefer to just buy the tea . But do not buy this one, we can swap a bit of this one one of these days?

Ysaurella

yes of course – while in a MF tea room you really relax, they prepare the tea perfectly, everything is so cosy…your teapot is a big one, you can get 4 or 5 cups. but yes each I think…oh I can buy a full tea bag and even 2 tea bags of 100g with this amount…

cteresa

well, that is a good point, sitting in from the weather in a nice set with a properly prepared pot of tea, you are right, it is indeed worth splurging on

I could not find an English translation of this. I ordered this tea from Mariages Freres in Paris because it is smoky. As a lover of lapsang souchongs, I expected to like this and I love it.

It’s not as purely smoky and peaty as some Russian Caravans can be: there is a touch of a kind of perfumed sweetness which reminds me a bit of Upton Tea’s Black Dragon and which highlights the smoke very nicely. I feel as if I am in a Parisian bistro surrounded by a glamourous smoky atmosphere but the smoke is all sweetness and not the least bit offensive.

I’ll have to place another order with Mariage Freres in France later this year; they have so many delightful blends that I don’t think are available in North America: (Vivaldi, Confucius, Elixir d’amour, etc.) I also ordered their Lapsang Souchong jam which is just extraordinary.

Adham

Ah well, yet another one to try next time I can splurge on Mariage Freres…

Lori

OOOH, LS jam…

ashmanra

Ah, sounds lovely! If I can’t find this one, maybe I can get some Upton Black Dragon!

Rabs

Your note just made my day! I’ll definitely save up to go in on a French order for later this year if you do another group order. And LS jam? ::drools::

gmathis

Is the jam sweet or savory?

__Morgana__

I took a stab at the translation, but I’m admittedly an amateur.

Doulton

The jam is sweet — it tastes quite a bit like an LS loaded with sugar but its weirdly compelling and I find it an excellent excuse for calorie expenditure.

This is a sample kindly sent by cteresa. This is clearly not a tea I would have bought by myself because I am not familiar with Lapsang Souchong and was quite afraid of.

But I am nicely surprised because even if for a LS beginner like I am the smocky taste seems heavy, it is so lovely blended with a light bergamot that I can only love it.

The tea base is really mellow and the bergamot touch is perfect to help to
tame this type of tea.
As it cools the smocky taste seems lighter now.

Thank you so much for permitting me to discover this type of teas cteresa

Thanks for the sample of this Rachel! You’re a peach!

This has just the right amount of smokiness to still be able to taste the smoothness and the black tea overall. There is a clue of citrus likeness to it, too, that makes it really special and the tips are lovely!

This is quite nice, indeed!

It’s a unique Earl Grey that uses Lapsang Souchong.
Has a crisp bergamot aroma with a rich smokiness.
The aftertaste has a definite sweetness that comes from Lapsang Souchong.
As one of the Lapsang Souchong lovers, I’ve been very excited to try this one but was not so stunning.
(I’m pleased to upload a new image for this tea!)