Chocolate/Coconut

Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Premium Steap

Delicious combination of chocolate truffle and coconut flavored Chinese black tea. Perfect with dessert or afternoon tea break.

About Premium Steap View company

I was arranging my teas at home after getting some samples together for TeaEqualsBliss, and unearthed this! I forgot I even had it after getting so many new teas recently!

This is a super flavorful dessert tea. There are flakes of toasted coconut and hunks of truffle in with Chinese black tea. Once brewed, it tastes like a chocolate liquor (no cocoa about it!) with a very faint coconut in the background. If I didn’t see that it said coconut on the package, I would be hard put to name exactly what that toasty warm background flavor was. I put it right up front in the place of honor in the cupboard – this tea is too delicious to get forgotten about!!!!

TeaEqualsBliss

ooooooooo :)

It’s FINISH UP DAY!!!! I am going to see how many teas I can finish in my stash! This is the first one…I really like it and it’s going to be hard to see it go! The Chocolate and Coconut are awesome together!

JacquelineM

Yum! I love this one :)

This tea smells like a wonderful chocolatey coconut treat. A dark chocolate flavor with strong coconut sweetness. When brewed it loses a bit of the coconut scent. When sipped it is a very smooth tea. Very well blended. I enjoy the flavor but wish for stronger coconut intensity. Not bad. I believe I received this sample from Doulton awhile ago. Thanks for your package of great samples. This one got separated from the bunch so it took a bit longer to review!

Steep Information:
Amount: 1 tsp
Additives: none
Water: 6 ounces filtered boiling
Tool: Mesh basket strainer in cup
Steep Time: a little over 4 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: chocolate
Steeped Tea Smell: black tea
Flavor: smooth black tea, astringent but not bitter
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: black tea, astringent
Liquor: dark reddish-brown

Steepster Traveling Teabox Tea

Nice black tea, but not finding the coconut or chocolate. It is especially nice that it’s smooth, astringent, but not bitter.

Post-Steep Additives: 1 tsp German rock sugar, a bit sweeter but that’s all.

AmazonV

Resteep: not a true resteep, per Steepster notes I saw the suggestion for double strength. I added 1 fresh tsp on top of the 1 tsp already steeped and let it go 4 min.

Smells like coconut, tastes like tea, roommate detects slight coconut aftertaste. I didn’t.

Dumped in 1 tsp sweetened coconut milk. Now I have coconut but no chocolate.

Doulton

I generally thought that this tea did not meet Premium Steap’s typical high standards; I liked it but I also used double strength, which I should have mentioned in my tasting note.

AmazonV

I haven’t tried too many of their teas yet but i loved their almond tea, so i kind of was expecting a bit more from this one…oh well

This tea is not quite the Nirvana that Premium Steap’s Organic Black with Coconut is. But it’s excellent! The chocolate is deep and rich. The coconut comes out mostly in the aftertaste for me. Black tea is most certainly the base note and a sweet bright chocolate is the middle note. The after-note is the coconut. As the tea cools, the coconut comes out to play a bit more.

Think of this as a bit of coconut enrobed in a big swirl of dark chocolate. It’s very good but perhaps I prefer single-notes in teas (or at least for today!).

Premium Steap has most certainly earned a spot on my "to buy from " list. They have some luscious looking samplers too!

Note: I did use 2 tsp. for about a 10 ounce mug; I’ve been adding more tea than suggested to many of my brews.