Snow Buds (Xue Ya)

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Backlogging. Sunday afternoon. Three tasty steeps reminded me how much I like this tea. =) But the more exciting news is why I no longer have to "ration" (tea really good, don't have much...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes
  • “Well, this is a shame. The first tea since I've had since Monday and I suppose I wasn't quite ready for it. It tastes funny. No, correction: I'm tasting funny. I thought I was enough on the...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “I recently discovered a wealth of Rishi tea in my local Wegmans, which made me really happy. I grabbed this and ran before I could convince myself to buy more. This is quite possibly the...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes
  • “I made this iced to take on the road today - using several steeps, 16oz of tea from 1.5 grams (about a teaspoon and a half) of leaves is a pretty great deal. Sweet, fresh, but also slightly toasty;...” Read full tasting note
    teabird 403 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Organic Snow Buds (Xue Ya) is considered a new type of white tea that was developed in the 1980’s using authentic Fujian white tea bushes according to a special process that involves nuances of white tea and green tea production. Its clear infusion offers a fresh green flavor and aroma of roasted chestnut.

About Rishi Tea View company

This is a beautiful tea. It has a creamy, buttery, faintly sweet quality that I love, and it has a richness to the color. The taste for this is what really stands out for me – some teas deliver on smell and fall short on taste, but this tea has a lot of complex flavors. I’m reminded of almonds, and, of course butter, with a bit of something sweet. When I was little my mother used to make me a snack of plain white bread with butter, sprinkled with sugar on the top, and this tea reminds me that taste, with the possible addition of the almond-esque essence.

And it’s amazingly inexpensive and – even better – I can buy this at the Whole Foods near me.

Heated 16 oz of water to 185 F. 2 teaspoons of tea in an open glass teapot.
A grassy white tea. Light. Almost fruity. The closest thing I could think of is a pear. Very enjoyable. I wouldn’t steep it more than 5 minutes.

Tyler

Wow. My palate must be off. Everyone is saying the closest fruit is a melon and I’m saying pear.

This is one of the first premium teas I picked up when I really started getting serious about tea last year.

The nutty aroma of the dry leaves comes through wonderfully at first whiff, and it’s a great lunchtime/afternoon tea, especially when paired with spicy Thai food.

I made this tea this weekend as a cold brew – SO GOOD! I just put 2 tablespoons in a quart-sized pitcher with a filter on top, filled it with cold water, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Delicious!

For a really easy-to-use pitcher with a filter on it, try Rishi’s:

Iced 8 min or more

Yum!

Smooth tea, I enjoy it with a little organic peppermint. Makes my day. :)

This is a very hearty white tea – which is why it is probably the only white tea that I will pair with a hearty, strongly flavoured meal. Excellent, and a little goes a long way.

While I intend to finish drinking this container of white tea (as tea is too precious to waste!), I don’t care for this white tea blend. This tastes too “grassy” to me (which I don’t mind in other teas, like Yerba Mate), and its flavor is too strong for my liking. At least a little bit goes a long way.

One of the few so-called premium teas I can find here in Colorado Springs (at whole foods). Wonderfully nutty flavored, with no bitterness. One of my favorite all day teas.