Makaibari 1st Flush Darjeeling 2011

Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

• “I was craving the berry lovely liciousness of this tea lastnight. So I indulged.. and did again this morning. *Angrboda* what have you started here?! So good. I am in fear of running out now.” Read full tasting note
    lynne-tea 234 tasting notes
  • “The first tea I tried from the August Steepster box. Tea of the morning.... I am not that experienced with Darjeelings, but this one is good and smooth, even plain, for this...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 956 tasting notes
  • “Another tea from the Steepster Select August box that dear *Ricky* sponsored for me. I was in the mood for this. I'm not sure why, I just was. It's weird because I'm not actually a Darjeeling...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1188 tasting notes
  • “My first tasting of the teas that were sent out in the Steepster Select box this month. This is a decent Darjeeling. Certainly not the best one I've ever tasted, but it's a good one. It's a...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4219 tasting notes

From Silver Tips Tea

The prize crop of Darjeeling, the champagne of teas! This is first flush at its best – slightly astringent, a green hue to the leaf and a pleasant floral tone to the cup. Enjoy the spirit of the Himalayas – Organic, Biodynamic & Fair Trade.

About Silver Tips Tea View company

I was craving the berry lovely liciousness of this tea lastnight. So I indulged.. and did again this morning. Angrboda what have you started here?! So good. I am in fear of running out now.

ScottTeaMan

You’re on the path of severe tea obsession like the rest of us…….OK, like me! =))

Lynne-tea

Haha I think I am nearly there already.. though I have had it mentioned to me a few times recently (when the tea stash was discovered.. and after a long intense tea conversation with a non-tea person) =) I love it and wouldn’t trade being a tea obsessed person for the world!

Me either. :))

Angrboda

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjrrvufu, says Luna the Kitty.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! laughs Eebil Ang ebilly! :D (And then she congratulates herself on good decision to pass it on to someone else)

Lynne-tea

great decision to pass it on! I am swooning for the berry in it as you can see. Haha nice work!
I just found out that a great old catfriend of mine is coming to live with me! His name is Lopan and he is the sweetest peach. Luna the Kitty just reminded me of my excitement for this! =)

The first tea I tried from the August Steepster box.

Tea of the morning…. I am not that experienced with Darjeelings, but this one is good and smooth, even plain, for this not-usually-plain-tea-drinker. The leaves are green and brown, the liquor is amber colored. I do get the light astringency mentioned in the description. I will be interested to see what everyone else thinks of this one….

24 oz teapot, 4 1/2 actual tsp tea, 3 minutes with boiling water. No additions.

Another tea from the Steepster Select August box that dear Ricky sponsored for me.

I was in the mood for this. I’m not sure why, I just was. It’s weird because I’m not actually a Darjeeling fan at all. I tend to find the grassy, spicy notes rather too prickly and sharp. I used to really appreciate it, but things change.

But today this was really nice. Of course I do have that sour aftertaste now which is making me contemplate what tea to have next to make it go away with, but otherwise it just really hit the spot. Possibly because it wasn’t really all that offensively strong on those aforementioned prickly sharp notes of grass and spice.

This is a decent Darjeeling. Certainly not the best one I’ve ever tasted, but it’s a good one. It’s a bit different than some Darjeeling teas that I’ve tried, it has a bitter note about mid-sip that then transcends into an astringent tangy note. Not unpleasant, just different. It has a really nice fruit tone, and a beautiful wine-like note toward the tail end of the sip. It is a pleasantly complex Darjeeling. I like.

Second try from the Steepster Select box.

This is my first try at Darjeeling. It’s not bad, but it’s still a tad more bitter than I would have liked. This could be my fault however as I think I miscalculated when I began steeping! I will try this one again though.

ScottTeaMan

SOME dARJEELINGS NEED A SHORTER BREW TIME-SAY 2.5 MINUTES. i ALSO {caps??!?} use a water temp around 195-205 degrees most of the time. This should help! :))

The second tea I tried from the August Steepster box. It’s a delicious darjeeling. Slightly green and floral. A little bit astringent. I try to under-steep this one to avoid bitter notes. Very nice overall. I could see drinking this on a regular basis. Not much flavor on the second steep.

Fresh out of the Steepster box, this too was the first tea I tried a cup of. I have had dragon pearls before and wasn’t in the mood for ginger.

The color I got was a great light honeyed brown at a steep time of 3m15s. I feel that the brew time is pretty spot on, getting a light tannin on the finish, leaving some nice mouth watering, but not so tannic that it is unpleasant.

As far as smell and sight I’m still learning more about properly evaluating and describing them. I had this with no sugar or additives. It was very mellow on the front and side of the tongue indicating not much sour or sweet tastes to it. There was a brief honey scent on the nose with some grassy and earth aromas.

The scent of this is delicious. Honey and something elusive.

The flavor is very, very different from the smell. It is intensely floral almost to the point of tasting like perfume… there’s a slight acrid tone to it. None of the sweetness of the smell transfers over. The finish isn’t particularly pleasant.

It’s one I’m tempted to add Agave Nectar to, to sweeten it, and I rarely ever add anything to my tea. Not big on this one at all.

I am finally getting around to making another cup of this tea. I still like this tea, and feel it was just what I needed to sip while contemplating the code I am working on.