Victorian Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 25 oz / 750 ml

From Simpson & Vail

A step back into the past! This tea is a wonderful mixture of Rose Congou, rose petals, lavender, rosemary and natural Bergamot oil. Now a top seller, Victorian Earl Grey tea has a sweet, floral taste that is adored by old and young alike.

About Simpson & Vail View company

I put some of this in the Breville, and was then promptly confronted by two eager young men who wanted to get to school EARLY because it was Valentine’s Day. Exactly why they wanted/needed to be early is a mystery. It’s not like they’re old enough to date…

As a result, by the time I got to taste this it was lukewarm. I am not going to rate this or discuss its virtues and shortcomings in depth given the circumstances.

For now, let me say it wasn’t at all what I expected. I expected a sort of rosy, lavendery frou frou Earl Grey (which I actually love). The dry leaf has a very rosy fragrance with a lavender undercurrent. It’s a very pretty dry leaf, with little lavender buds, rose petals and rosemary needles strewn among the tea. I don’t smell rosemary and I don’t really smell bergamot either.

But that changed in the drink. I think it’s the rosemary that makes the difference. There’s a savory note to this that I’m tasting fairly heavily, and it is more pronounced than the floral notes which I taste as a sort of general coolness (which may also be the bergamot). I wonder whether this is a factor of the cooling process or whether it’s how this would have tasted hotter as well. The tea has a sweetness to it and the flavor has a complexity, but I don’t really taste the bergamot at all. I’m not getting anything that tastes like citrus.

Will try again and see how it fares when it is drunk hot.

TeaBrat

we always gave Valentine’s to each other at school, maybe that’s why?

__Morgana__

Yes, they each went with a bag ‘o Valentines, but they don’t get to exchange them until they’re in class? Maybe they just wanted to look at peoples’ bags. LOL.

Kamyria

My daughter is in grade 2 and they have whole bunch of fun activities scheduled for today. They have Valentines party with treats and drinks and kids were encouraged to bring some games from home to play in class. She went to school with bunch of Valentine cards and box of cookies and two board games… lol

__Morgana__

Ah yes, that could be it—the suspension of usual activities during the Valentines’ Day celebration. I will find out tonight. ;-)

Hot water wasn’t HOT when I infused this! Oops! Go figure for a Monday Morning…anyhow…still went with the infusion for about 10 minutes in cold water and it was much lighter in color and flavor but still quite nice and yummy cold! A good mistake on my part, I suppose! :) All ended well

This is an awesome twist on the traditional Earl Grey. I love the way the rose congou, lavender, rosemary and bergamot all work together. The flavor is so delightful. Sweet yet savory.

A very pleasing tea.

Rabs

OOoooooOOOOOOoooo…sounds frou-frou-tastic!

Oh, this was just delightful! I wanted to add to the Battle of the Earl Greys blog this morning, but found myself craving something a little different. This was the perfect choice.

With my allergies, I can’t often stick my nose into a bouquet of flowers. This tea gave me the experience without the sneezing! I was very pleasantly surprised by how fresh the three floral notes both smelled and tasted. I’ve tried floral teas before which smelled and tasted more like perfume than fresh flowers, but this tea manages to overcome all that.

It’s not the strongest Earl Grey, but the bergamot and black notes of the usual flavor profile do make themselves known. Overall, I found myself really enjoying this tea – and I will go back for a second cup!

You can read my full review here:

A lovely tea, with a really good balance of Lavander and Earl Grey, with some hints of other flavors as well. An excellent blend