Houjicha (Basic Roast) - Obubu

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Tealet

Grower: Kyoto Obubu Tea Plantations
Region: Wazuka, Kyoto, Japan

Roasted green tea, or Houjicha (ほうじ茶 sometimes 焙じ茶), is unlike any green tea you’ve tasted before. With a richly smokey flavor that is simultaneously light and sweet, houjicha has none of the bitterness of traditional green teas. And like decaf coffee, the roasting process removes the caffeine from the leaves making it the perfect after dinner / before bed drink.

Buy this tea now —> https://www.tealet.com/obubu-tea-plantations/houjicha

About Tealet View company

I love a good Houjicha and this one is definitely good. Sweet and toasty and soothing too. The toasty notes give this a very autumnal feel. Nutty, sweet and delicious. There is very little astringency to this. I don’t really notice much of a smoky note, but more of a roasty-toasty kind of taste to it. The smokiness seems to arrive toward the end of the sip, and linger into the aftertaste.

Overall, a very enjoyable cup of tea – I love the teas from the Obubu Plantation and I’m glad to learn that Tealet has started to offer them.

I was in NEED for a GREEN…so…here goes!

This isn’t as roasty or toasty as some Houjicha’s I have had but I’m ok with that! There is always a place and a time for a more gentle Houjicha.

This is that time.

Equal parts woodsy and nutty – this is satisfying and soothing.

A delight!

Eh, this is my first houjicha and I don’t know what to make of it. It looks like miniature wood shavings. It smells like licorice. And boiling water, really? Is that how they’re usually prepared? The flavor reminds me a bit of some of the more mushroomy oolongs I’ve tried – like se chung and wu yi – but it’s not as strong. Loamy and woodsy. I don’t know, I think this one might just not be for me.

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML