Houjicha (Basic Roast) - Obubu

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Tealet

Grower: Kyoto Obubu Tea Plantations
Region: Wazuka, Kyoto, Japan

Roasted green tea, or Houjicha (ほうじ茶 sometimes 焙じ茶), is unlike any green tea you’ve tasted before. With a richly smokey flavor that is simultaneously light and sweet, houjicha has none of the bitterness of traditional green teas. And like decaf coffee, the roasting process removes the caffeine from the leaves making it the perfect after dinner / before bed drink.

Buy this tea now —> https://www.tealet.com/obubu-tea-plantations/houjicha

About Tealet View company

I love a good Houjicha and this one is definitely good. Sweet and toasty and soothing too. The toasty notes give this a very autumnal feel. Nutty, sweet and delicious. There is very little astringency to this. I don’t really notice much of a smoky note, but more of a roasty-toasty kind of taste to it. The smokiness seems to arrive toward the end of the sip, and linger into the aftertaste.

Overall, a very enjoyable cup of tea – I love the teas from the Obubu Plantation and I’m glad to learn that Tealet has started to offer them.

I was in NEED for a GREEN…so…here goes!

This isn’t as roasty or toasty as some Houjicha’s I have had but I’m ok with that! There is always a place and a time for a more gentle Houjicha.

This is that time.

Equal parts woodsy and nutty – this is satisfying and soothing.

A delight!

I’m expecting some shipments to come in tomorrow & Tuesday, at which point I’ll have a fair amount of tea in the cupboard again. This has spurred me to dig into the dark corners of my collection and evaluate what I have already. In hindsight, it seems like I would have done this weeks ago, when I was actually low on tea. But no. It felt too depressing then. So it is happening now.

I really thought I hated this one, but it is actually not bad. Maybe I was steeping it wrong before. Earthy and mushroomy, it has a kind of medicinal vibe, but I do have times when I’m in the mood for that sort of thing, so I guess I won’t chuck it after all.

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

I get a weird feeling just reading about this: earthy, mushroomy, and medicinal. Sounds like a seriously acquired taste.

Tamarindel

Haha, it is definitely is, that’s why I was so horrified with it the first time I tried it. If you’re looking at it as a green tea (which technically it is) it’s quite bad. As a medicinal herbal, though, it’s acceptable. I drink stuff like this once in awhile when I feel I’ve had too much sugar, and the bitterness seems to even things out. But no, I wouldn’t recommend drinking it for the fun of it.

Fjellrev

I love drinking genmaicha and houjicha when I’ve had too much sugar. With that said, I would still want that classic roasted flavour in these types of greens rather than something earthy and medicinal. Bleh. You’re brave!

Tamarindel

It does have a roasted note, actually, but it’s not the thing I notice most about this one. And hells yeah, a nice genmaicha would be way preferable. But at least this works as an incentive not to eat too much sugar ;)