Cha Yen Thai Black Tea

Black Rooibos Blend
Almond, Caramel, Cardamon, Coconut, Cream, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Danielle

From Teavana

This is Teavana’s interpretation of the popular Thai iced tea blend famous throughout the world. It is a rich combination of Assam black tea and Rooibos tea blended with star-anise, almonds and a bevy of traditional Thai spices. Recommended that you brew it strong for a cup that can be served over ice or combined with milk (or condensed milk) for a flavorful treat. Contains nuts.

About Teavana View company

This tea used to be one of my favorites. Now it is more of a background tea. I found an unopened pouch of it in the back of the cupboard last night and cold steeped it overnight. The coconut in the tea I had in a tin had the coconut go bad in that soapy sort of way, so I was surprised to find this pouch still in decent shape. This tea seems a little weaker than I remember, but maybe that is the difference between a hot and cold steep. It is still pretty good and I get a bit of almond cardamon flavor with a creaminess to it. Maybe I’ll cold steep a pitcher of it and kill the rest of this bag before the coconut turns on this one too!

It really tastes nothing like Thai iced tea, btw.

Why does Teavana put Artificial Flavor in this tea? I’ve had other Thai teas without any added flavors. This flavor tasted too strong to be just the spices, then I saw “artificial flavors”. Here is their current ingredient list:" Ingredients:Rooibos tea, Assam black tea, candied pineapple pieces (pineapple, sugar), artificial flavoring, coconut rasps, coconut chips (coconut, coconut oil, sugar), star anise, roasted chicory root, ginger pieces, cardamom, cloves CONTAINS COCONUT"

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a nice, warm tea with the right combination of spices and coconut. I have only tried it hot – I don’t think it would be very good iced.

Another cup from the stash my boss sent me. I don’t normally put milk or sugar in my tea, but I can see where this one might benefit from a splash of milk and a wee bit of sugar. The coconut flavor is stronger than other coconut teas I’ve tried, and there’s a hint of almond and vanilla behind it, with a little bit of spice.

Flavors: Almond, Caramel, Cardamon, Coconut, Cream, Vanilla

I continue to really like this tea. I treat it as my dessert. I made this tonight the same way I make my marsala chi. 2 tsp tea, 2 tsp sugar, 10 oz water and 2 oz milk. I have never been able to describe the taste of this tea. It to me taste nothing like thai tea, but I love it.

So many people like these Teavana blends, but I find them to be a little weak. It’s almost as if they’re trying to do too much at one time. Nutty! Smokey! Spicy! Blah. I found this mix to be underwhelming. Not bad, just not memorable at all. I admit it could be because I was looking for something that could hold its own when mixed with milk and sugar like, well… Thai tea.

Not liking this as much as Teavana’s original Thai Tea blend. This is much spicier and less nutty. It is still an excellent tea, but personally I don’t like it as much with the milk and suger and ice that makes a “thai tea”. I add Honeybush Hazelnut to it to round out the nutty flavors when I want it cold. Hot, it is a very calm chai. It’s spiced, not spicy.