Kamiya Papaya

Fruit Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Teavana

Inspired by the sweet sunshine and easy-going breezes of Hawaii, this bright tasting Oolong tea is full of fruits from the islands. The delicious Hawaiian taste is also full of vitamins and minerals. And it’s a great way to prepare yourself for the beach, since Oolongs are famous for their reputed weight-loss benefits!

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8 ounces of water. Heat water to just before boiling (195 degrees) and steep for 3-4 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Oolong tea, candied papaya and pineapple, apple bits, orange peels, cinnamon and rosebuds.

About Teavana View company

I still like this blend; one of the only things from Teavana that I have enjoyed a lot! Sweet and fruity… a yumlicious afternoon tea.

ScottTeaMan

Sounds delicious! That said Teavana hasn’t impressed me.

TeaBrat

I’ve tried a lot of their teas and most of them are not very good in my opinion…

The Purrfect Cup

Agreed. I prefer their straight teas. Sadly they seem to be getting rid of them at an alarming rate.

Charles Thomas Draper

We need straight teas….

TeaBrat

Fortunately for us there are plenty of other options to purchase tea. :)

The Purrfect Cup

Yes we do. Sometimes I just find it easier to dash into the mall. Rather than wait for the postman.

we don’t have a Teavana in San Francisco… weird

ScottTeaMan

Not weird….maybe it’s a blessing. Besides from what I’ve seen on the internet there are plenty of good tea companies in San Fran. :))

This one smells really sweet as it steeps. There is a goldish color to the liquid. I can smell the papaya and really want to just eat it out of the cup. The taste is very smooth with a little tang to it. There’s a lot going on, at least it seems there is but all of it is really yummy. So glad I opted to get some!

QuiltGuppy

I did eat the papaya… and it was delicious! :)

gmathis

Have you tried it iced?

The Purrfect Cup

Ok I def ate some papaya this morning! I have not tried it iced yet…I would think it would be really yummy!

One of the teas of the month for March from the Teavana Classic tea of the month club. I am not going to tell you how many tea of the month clubs I have joined in the last couple of weeks. I can’t even think about it too long without a minor freak out. I am fairly sure you’re only supposed to join ONE tea of the month club. But they all look so incredibly interesting. Sigh. I keep telling myself that at least tea is good for you and pretty harmless as addictions go…

This is not a tea I would have chosen had it not been part of the tea of the month club. I’ve been a little wary of flavored oolongs for no really good reason, other than I’ve really enjoyed the tastes of the unflavored ones and I’ve not become a fan of flavored greens. Oolongs seem to have a lot of personality on their own, even moreso than greens, and like greens seem to me to have fairly nuanced flavors that can be overshadowed or even poisoned by attempts to introduce other flavors into the mix.

If I’m remembering correctly, this is my first flavored oolong. I put about twice as much of this in the infuser as I would ordinarily as I was afraid the tea part of it would be too weak otherwise; it has that Teavana cornucopia of fruit thing going on and I thought the chunks of papaya and pineapple might result in too little actual tea going into the cup. It’s very pretty, with full tiny rosebuds strewn throughout. The tea is dark and brownish and resembles the Formosa fine grade I have from Upton though with slightly larger leaves. The dry tea smells fruity, floral and slightly pungent.

It brews to a light yellow, and smells of sweet, tropical fruit and cinnamon with an undercurrent of toasty rose. It actually smells much nicer than I expected it would. The fruit isn’t overpoweringly sweet and it has a clean, fresh smell.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the taste. I’ve not had great luck with pineapple flavoring in green teas, but it works fairly well against the backdrop of the oolong. The pineapple itself isn’t bitter, which helps quite a bit. The papaya and orange smooth it out some as well. The cinnamon, fortunately, plays a minor role in the flavor portfolio as it could easily stamp out the other flavors if it had been any stronger. As a tropical/pineapple blend, this is more successful than others I’ve had with green bases, and it gets points for that. I’m not discerning the oolong flavor in the mix on the first steep, but I expect this is something it will take a few tries to identify. (I’m finding that it often takes a few tries of a tea for me to really get it. It’s sort of like muscle memory in the palate, it takes a baseline taste or two before I can really start tasting the nuances.)

I was curious how well this would stand up to multiple steepings. With oolongs I’ve been going at least four, sometimes five or six. I wondered whether the fruit would become soggy, tasteless, or bitter, or just give up the ghost altogether. The first two steeps were pretty much the same. The third was interesting. By this time the fruit flavor was receding and mellowing, but not disappearing. The taste became more buttery and the tea silkier in the mouth. By the fourth, the tea was discernible if I tried really hard to taste it.

I suspect this will be different from cup to cup as a lot of these chunky mixes are, depending upon the amount of each type of fruit and tea that ends up in a particular steep. Though it’s not something I would have sought out and probably won’t seek out again, I can tell I’m going to enjoy drinking it while I have it. And it may even grow on me.

This is my 2nd cup of this tea. I’m trying to “acquire” a taste for it because I have 2 ounces that I don’t want to waste. I brewed it stronger this time. The package directions call for 1 tsp. per 8 oz. of water. I brewed 2 1/2 tsp. for 12 oz. of water. I did not sweeten it because I’m still trying to detect all of the individual flavors of the blend. I like it a little better his way (stronger), but I still would not re-purchase. Too floral. Not fruity enough.

EDIT: Halfway through this cup, I started to notice a “bubblegum” flavor… Anyone else getting that as the tea cools off a bit??

Ellyn

I HATE how you can only buy 2 oz as a minimum at teavana….

Bonnie

The base tea is an oolong, some oolongs like a temperature less than boiling and they can become sweet, floral and buttery as they cool. Too bad you don’t have a way of knowing what kind of oolong tea it is. This is a good opportunity to google oolong and read a little. Next time, try a lower temp and rinse first (steep the tea 15 seconds and throw the water out then steep it longer..).See what happens. Could be better, but depends on the quality of the tea.

sweeTEApie

I steeped this tea 3 times yesterday using slightly less water each time. I love how the flavor changes, especially after the 3rd steep. Plus, I feel like I’m getting more for my $, and I’m all about saving a buck! :)

Bonnie

One of the advantages of loose tea over bagged tea is multiple steep. You’ll soon find out what tea’s are best multi-steeped and which are not. Always use filtered water. I have a small filter pitcher just for tea that looks great and matches my electric kettle. LOVE my kettle! Water takes ages to boil at 5000ft. without it!

This is a nice and simple tea, by my standards. It is delicious hot or cold and the fruit flavor is not overpowering or artificial tasting. Has a nice light gold color and I’m picking up on the cinnamon more in the scent than in the taste of the tea.

I think the heat bubble has finally burst! It was nice and rainy and cool today. Time for some hot oolong! I’ve drank this a few times before but haven’t logged it.

I just love the smell of this tea. It’s got a spicy smell, maybe from the cinnamon, with a hint of fruit in it.

This blend definitely has a cozy and comfortable feel to it. It warms me right up every time. Though I think Sweet Oolong Revolution is a better Teavana oolong blend, I really do like this one.

I really can’t seem to pick out any of the individual flavors in this steep, but it tastes a bit more oolong-y than I expected this time around, the blended flavors definitely add to the tea, but there is definitely oolong flavor coming out. Whatever I did to steep it this time, i hope I do it again next time because this was definitely a huge success!

The flavor is subtle, but definitely there. Very drinkable, in a good way. It’s a really tricky tea to steep though, if the water is too hot or you oversteep, it becomes bitter real quick and it’s not fun to drink at all, but when steeped correctly the taste is so good.

Yesterday during a trip to the mall, I visited Teavana. We don’t have a lot of dedicated tea stores around here, so it’s always nice to go in and be surrounded by tea and other fun tea stuff.

On a whim, I picked up the Kamiya Papaya Oolong. It sounded different and I was in a fruity mood. Last night I programmed the Breville and took a sniff of the tea. It smells candied and not so tea-y. Still, I was looking forward to it knowing that many teas taste so differently once brewed.

195/3 minutes as on the package. (Thanks, Teavana, I love that the recommendation for all teas are printed right on the label!)

When ready, the tea smells heavenly. (Teavanaly?) It’s a true papaya scent, not sugary. The taste is fruity without being over the top. It’s a delicious wake up cup of tea. The tea itself is minimized by the fruity taste. It’s still nice, but difficult to discern from the papaya. I can taste a hint of cinnamon, but if there are other fruits, they take a back seat to the papaya. This is what I was looking for, though, this morning and I’m very pleased. I also think this would make a very nice summer iced tea.

What can I say? I love this tea. However, there is a bit of a processed after taste. I’m not sure how else to describe it. It tastes so good at first, but then this plastic-like after taste hits you. It’s usually why I don’t like fruity teas from Teavana. However, the initial taste is wonderful. Lite, fresh, and a bit sweet-spicey. It’s best when it’s cold and mixed with sugar. Especially for those feeling the heat wave.

Looking for a new fruity oolong to add to my collection, I happened to be by my local Teavana and thought I’d take a peak. I’m a huge fan of tropical flavors, and the description of this one sounds right up my alley.

The tea is nothing special to look at or smell; a plain-looking rolled oolong with bits of pale dried fruit. The scent is not very tropical and honestly leaves something to be desired – though I don’t agree with Chris’ description of it as “Christmassy,” I believe that speaks to how little it reminds one of island life.

Steeping, it releases a LOT more sweet fruit smell, and the deep golden liquor it leaves behind is a fantastic example of a flavored oolong done right. The first and last taste on your tongue is subtle, smooth earth, topped off with just enough papaya flavor to earn its name. I can’t detect much presence of the other fruits visible in the tea, but they’re most definitely responsible for the sweet steeping scent. I would like a bit more tang out of a tropical tea. More pineapple would certainly be welcomed.

Putting my expectations based on the name and ingredients aside, this tea impresses me more than most of Teavana’s tepid fruit infusions. I’d buy this again.
-Cash

i tried this iced a couple of months also, as per a recommendation from a guy that worked at the store. I was a little worried about it, it just did not seem like something i would be interested in. But i was very surprised and with each sip it got better and better. So i just got some of this and and tried it hot. I have the same reaction. It is getting better on each sip. I like the sweet fruity (but not overpowering) taste. it has a great smell. I would recommend this to others.