Fengqing Zhuan Cha Ripened Puerh Brick Tea 2006

Pu-erh Tea
Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I got a couple samples of this tea in my first Teavivre order... I didn't realize I'd be the first one reviewing it, though! I would say that everything they say is true. It has a strong smell,...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1162 tasting notes
  • “Another Teavivre sample! I haven't even caught up on the last samples and Teavivre has already offered to send more samples! Wow! I love Teavivre. I think they want me to try every tea they...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1086 tasting notes
  • “Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this sample! I am already a big fan of Teavivre's Ripened Aged Pu-erh tea so I was looking forward to trying another selection from their Pu-erh collection....” Read full tasting note
    Stoo 144 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing (凤庆), Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 30 to 40 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: between May 15, 2005 and June 30, 2005

Taste: Mellow, thick flavor with smooth taste; Profound fragrance fills your mouth

The Fengqing Zhuan Cha Ripened Puerh Brick Tea 2006 is small but has full weight of 240g. The brick is in the size of 13.5 cm long, 9 cm wide and 1.5 cm high, which makes the tea easy to store. Brick tea is a kind of compressed pu-erh tea. This Fengqing Ripened PU-erh Brick Tea has bright and red liquid, mellow and thick flavor, sweet aftertaste. The heavy aroma will last in your mouth for a long time. The tea leaves of this Ripened Pu-erh Brick Tea were picked in 2005’s later spring, and fermented in the same year. Brick tea is for long-term storage. Aged Pu-erh Brick teas will become more profound after years of store. It is regarded as an eatable antique in China.

About Teavivre View company

I got a couple samples of this tea in my first Teavivre order… I didn’t realize I’d be the first one reviewing it, though!

I would say that everything they say is true. It has a strong smell, the flavour turns to sweetness, and it stays in your mouth.

There is no fishy odour, which is very nice.

Generally I think I prefer a more “forest loam” tasting straight puerh. This one tastes as I would expect a puerh to taste… which doesn’t say much, as I’m still learning about them. There is certainly nothing about this tea that makes me dislike it, and I’m really enjoying my steeps this morning.

1 – rinsed twice for ~5 seconds each
2 – 1 minute steep with approximately half the sample pack and about 175ml water
3 – I cheated on my tea and had a small mug of coffee
3.b – 1 minute steep, the flavours are more… even, and the colour is darker as the pieces are starting to fall apart. I’d almost call the tea “smokey” at this point.

And now I have to head out to the post office, and pop into work for a bit. Depending on how late it is when I get home, I’ll continue the tasting!

Another Teavivre sample! I haven’t even caught up on the last samples and Teavivre has already offered to send more samples! Wow! I love Teavivre. I think they want me to try every tea they have… which works because 97% of the time they are so good that I want to buy them. There were four big chunks of pu-erh in one sample pouch… not sure if I should have used them all for one mug. I could have just used two pieces for this steep, but then I realized that pu-erh is rarely astringent anyway… you could probably use an entire pu-erh cake and it wouldn’t make a mug of tea astringent!

I wish Teavivre didn’t get rid of their webpage with the steeping instructions for their teas… I have to guess with this 17 ounce thing. I’m guessing the old page would have suggested something like 212 degrees with a rinse and 1,2,3,4 minute steeps. I sipped four big mugs of this tea all day and I was not close to tiring of it. All of the steeps here had the same delicious flavor… and I could have steeped this many more times. The flavor is surprisingly sweet yet dark, earthy. Pu-erh is kind of difficult to describe as pu-erh is just pu-erh… it has its own flavor. But it is interesting that it tastes so different from black tea. This is the kind of pu-erh I love. I could easily buy an entire cake of this. The value is great anyway… I could probably use the same leaves for many more than four cups. The flavor was consistent to the last drop. Delicious!

Steep #1 // 13 minutes after boiling (accidentally) with a rinse // 1 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // 6 mins after boiling // 2 1/2 min
Steep #3 // just boiled // 2 min
Steep #4 // just boiled // 3 min

Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this sample!

I am already a big fan of Teavivre’s Ripened Aged Pu-erh tea so I was looking forward to trying another selection from their Pu-erh collection. Pu-erh doesn’t seem to be everyone’s cup of tea (I confess that the pun was intended) because of its strong taste and smell, which some people liken to fish or leather. However, I like the exotic flavor very much.

I opened up the sample packet and pushed the tip of my nose inside to analyze the unbrewed odor. The smell was somewhat leathery (which I find appealing) with a twinge of sweetness.

I followed Teavivre’s recommended brewing instructions and steeped the long chocolate brown leaves and brick for eight minutes at 212 degrees. That seemed like a long time to brew (the packet listed the maximum recommended brewing time at 10 minutes!) but Teavivre’s instructions have never failed me yet.

The resulting liquor was dark brown in color (like other Pu-erh varieties). Interestingly, the brewed aroma was quite mild and unassuming. I had to place my cup directly below my nose to detect the faint earthy and leathery odor that I have become accustomed to with teas of this variety.

The taste of this tea is nothing short of excellent. The prominent Pu-erh flavor (you decide if it is fish or leather) is in the house but it is smooth, sweet, and exquisite without becoming overwhelming. The aftertaste is also rather wispy, floating on the palate for a few brief moments.

I thoroughly enjoyed this selection and am now in the process of wringing at least two more steepings out of this sample. I like this tea so much that I am tempted to have my wife (who gags at just the thought of anything Pu-erh) give this one a try.

In short, Teavivre has produced another sterling tea. If you LIKE Pu-erh, I am confident that you will LOVE this Pu-erh!

Flavors: Leather