Organic Nonpareil She Qian Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea

Green Tea
Hangzhou Dragon Well
Grass, Nutmeg, Nutty, Sugarcane, Sweet, Garden Peas, Spinach, Vegetables, Asparagus, Butter, Vegetal, Broth, Cucumber, Freshly Cut Grass, Creamy, Floral, Melon, Green Beans
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

4 Images

• “I am writing about the 2016 spring harvest: This tea is truly delightful! After trying the superfine version of Teavivre’s Dragon Well, I didn’t figure they could improve by much....” Read full tasting note
    TravLaven 20 tasting notes
  • “Water: 8oz Leaves: flat dull light green leaves Measuring Spoon: no Steep: 3m~ Aroma: vegetable Color: light yellow Clarity: great Taste: From reading my reviews over time I’m sure many of...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 113 tasting notes
  • “First off.. Thank you to Angel and Teavivre for sending me a generous sample of this tea. Dragon Well greens have always been a favorite and I thought I’d have a pot while I...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 878 tasting notes
  • “My first spring green of 2016 and definitely worth the wait. The dry leaves in a heated vessel exude a luscious creamed spinach aroma. Tea brews to a delicate, pale liquor that embodies the...” Read full tasting note
    luckyme 172 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Tianmu Mountain(天目山), Lin’an County, Hangzhou City, Zhejiang, China

Ingredients: In one bud with one leaf shape, or one bud with two leaves.

Harvest time: March 10, 2015

Taste: Carrying an intoxicating aroma of dragon well, brisk and sweet taste, revealing a nice sense of Spring breeze.

Health Benefits: We know that fresh tea leaves contain plenty of tea polyphenols which has the function of weight loss of green tea. However, based on different producing craft, they will be reduced in different volume. According to a document from Hunan Agricultural University, there are at least 20% to 23% of tea polyphenols in green tea.

What is She Qian Tea? To understand the name She Qian, we need to see the components separately. She is 社 (shè) which refers to the She Ri festival, and Qian is 前 (qián), same meaning as the word before. So She Qian tea means the tea harvested before She Ri festival.

About Teavivre View company

I am writing about the 2016 spring harvest:

This tea is truly delightful! After trying the superfine version of Teavivre’s Dragon Well, I didn’t figure they could improve by much. Thankfully, I was wrong! This tea is smooth, sweet, and has no bitterness! Highly recommend!

Flavors: Grass, Nutmeg, Nutty, Sugarcane, Sweet

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Water: 8oz

Leaves: flat dull light green leaves

Measuring Spoon: no

Steep: 3m~

Aroma: vegetable

Color: light yellow

Clarity: great

Taste: From reading my reviews over time I’m sure many of you know how much i enjoy dragon well tea! It’s always seems to be top shelf favorite no matter what variety or when it’s picked. This is the first time i’m trying a She Qian Long Jin which from the website states " picked shortly after the buds sprout". the scent was noticeable even when i only opened the silver packer a little bit.I allowed the the to steep for a little over 3 minutes. The taste was surprising as this was the first time i’ve had any bitterness in a dragon well tea. The bitterness lasted throughout the cup leaving an after taste on the tongue. I then looked at the website then at the instructions on the silver packet. I found that the problem was there was a misprint the packet stated to brew it at “185 degrees” while on the website it said “176 degrees”. This goes to show how important it is to have the proper temperature when making a tea. I’m going to have to try it again later with the right water temperature. With the bitterness noted this was an okay cup not as great as the other dragon wells considering the incorrect instructions.

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Dragon Well greens have always been a favorite and I thought I’d have a pot while I study. The leaves are gorgeous. Deep forest green. The flavor of the tea is nice. It has a nice thick buttered veggies taste to it.

My first spring green of 2016 and definitely worth the wait. The dry leaves in a heated vessel exude a luscious creamed spinach aroma. Tea brews to a delicate, pale liquor that embodies the freshness of the leaves. There is a gentle grassiness accompanied by a a soft chestnut flavor. Eventually it transitions to a light vegetable broth. The mouthfeel is crisp and smooth. Nothing too strong or in your face. This is a pretty mellow tea as far as dragon wells go. It’s thinner than Teavivre’s Premium Dragonwell but the taste is more refined.

I recommend steeping this in a tall glass. Normally grandpa style is annoying because of leaves getting into your mouth, but I didn’t mind it here because the tender buds are so delicious. And the beauty of watching these leaf buds dancing in the water only adds to the enjoyment. A very invigorating and refreshing dragon well tea.

Flavors: Garden Peas, Grass, Spinach, Vegetables

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is one of the better teas I’ve ever tasted. Yes, it’s a bit more expensive, but sometimes you have to treat yourself! The aromas and flavors are so wonderful. I feel like I am “drinking spring.” What an excellent tea. Wow, just WOW!!

Flavors: Asparagus, Butter, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 30 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 175 ML

This is a lovely dragon well that is also organic! I’m always excited when I find a good organic tea. Sadly most of my favorites are not, but I can’t help but to wonder about what the leaves might have been sprayed with or the soil treated with when I drink non-organic at times. I digress though- the dry leaf on this one is light green, airy, and pressed. The smell is more grassy and savory than some of my other recently reviewed straight greens, but still in a very pleasant way. The liquor is clear light yellow-green and there is no oil or film. The taste is very fresh- cucumber slices and crisp snow peas in a broth. I can see how someone might say this one is floral, but I am not getting flowers myself personally. It makes me think of a winter/early spring harvest. Lettuce, chard, snow peas, all manner of cool weather crops. Great tea for a 29 degree morning here in Georgia. Happy Friday fellow Steepsters!

Flavors: Broth, Cucumber, Freshly Cut Grass, Garden Peas

It’s with great pleasure that I write my 400th note on Steepster, and an even greater pleasure to do so with this tea! Hooray!

I first tried Dragon Well teas a few months ago when I made my very first order from Teavivre and chose their basic Dragon Well tea as a sample. I remember not being impressed with it then, though I don’t know if that was because it was their basic (non-premium) kind of tea, and thus lower-down on the ladder when compared to their premium varieties, or whether it was because I hadn’t tried as many other Chinese greens.

Suffice it to say that in contrast, this She Qian Dragon Well is a delight. The dry leaves are a beautiful shade of apple/olive green, and they smell like heavily buttered vegetables – so salty and savory. The resulting liquor was just as delightful.

I steeped it twice, the first time for about 3:45 and the second for about 5 minutes, and both times the tea was really savoury. For a long time, I thought that Dragon Well teas weren’t my bag, but this tea may have just made me a convert. I can’t wait to brew the remaining leaf with a gaiwan.

Many thanks to Lala for placing this in the GCTTB3!

Kaylee

Congrats!

Terri HarpLady

Yay for 400!

boychik

Congrats!

I haven’t logged a tea here in a long time but I had to with this one. It is nothing short of amazing. Intensely aromatic and complex, I could not get enough of it. Compared to their other offerings it’s on the expensive side but it is seriously amaze-balls.

Flavors: Creamy, Cucumber, Floral, Melon, Nutty, Sweet

Myssy

Sounds delicious!

Charisma

I liked this one a lot too :)

Stephanie was so generous to send me her other sample packet. The experience of this tea is very far from disappointing. The yellow-green dry leaf looks alive – as if they were never snipped from the stem – and its aroma is so full and fresh and vegetal. I can’t count how many times I stuck my nose in the packet before I finally took some leaves out to make some tea!

I brewed this using both Western and dragonwell style, and I very much prefer the latter (partially because dragonwell seems to taste better). The liquor is full-bodied, bright, clean, and refreshing. The flavors are typical (listed below) but – with this dragonwell in particular – are magnified, in that they taste fresher and stronger.

Flavors: Asparagus, Green Beans, Nutty

185 °F / 85 °C 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

You should post this review on TeaVivre’s website, too. They’re doing triple points right now AKA $1.50 per review towards future tea purchases!

Funny you mention the scent of the dry leaf- intoxicating, right? I couldn’t believe how great it smelled!

So glad you enjoyed it!

KiwiDelight

One of the best smelling teas EVAR.

Silly question: do I need an account for the points? I should make one anyway. Teavivre is on my “MUST ORDER FROM” list.

KiwiDelight

I did everything. (crosses fingers for the contest)

Stephanie

Yeah, I think you need an account. Good luck!!! We could win more of this tea! Wouldn’t that be great? hehe :)

KiwiDelight

Yes!! I’m also eyeing that Yixing pot…

Backlog:

LOVE!

Some time ago, in the forums, I commented on the thread that asked what Dragonwell people were going to get this spring. This is one that I recommended. It’s an OUTSTANDING dragonwell.

Then again, you can’t really go wrong with Teavivre.

This is a very fresh Dragon Well, and it’s a freshness that can be tasted. Sweet, mild, fresh, pure, clean, nutty and buttery are all words that come to mind when I sipped this tea. It’s an invigorating and refreshing green tea.

A delightful chestnut flavor with a hint of steamed veggies. As I continued to sip, I could pick up on some apple-like flavors. Savory notes toward mid-sip: a little salty. A really, really good Dragonwell!

here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/04/21/organic-nonpareil-qian-dragon-well-long-jing-green-tea-teavivre/

Jillian

That’s an impressively long name for that tea.

Anna

This sounds great, I look forward to getting to the dragon well portion of my green tea project.

ashmanra

“You can’t go wrong with Teavivre.” One of the truest statements I have ever read.

LiberTEAS

They are a company that continues to impress me. I was blown away with how good this Dragon Well is.