Organic Nonpareil She Qian Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea

Green Tea
Hangzhou Dragon Well
Garden Peas, Grass, Spinach, Vegetables, Asparagus, Butter, Vegetal, Broth, Cucumber, Freshly Cut Grass, Creamy, Floral, Melon, Nutty, Sweet, Green Beans, Sugarcane
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

4 Images

• “Water: 8oz Leaves: flat dull light green leaves Measuring Spoon: no Steep: 3m~ Aroma: vegetable Color: light yellow Clarity: great Taste: From reading my reviews over time I’m sure many of...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 110 tasting notes
  • “First off.. Thank you to Angel and Teavivre for sending me a generous sample of this tea. Dragon Well greens have always been a favorite and I thought I’d have a pot while I...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 878 tasting notes
  • “My first spring green of 2016 and definitely worth the wait. The dry leaves in a heated vessel exude a luscious creamed spinach aroma. Tea brews to a delicate, pale liquor that embodies the...” Read full tasting note
    luckyme 143 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the better teas I’ve ever tasted. Yes, it’s a bit more expensive, but sometimes you have to treat yourself! The aromas and flavors are so wonderful. I feel like I am...” Read full tasting note
    clintjones 13 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Tianmu Mountain(天目山), Lin’an County, Hangzhou City, Zhejiang, China

Ingredients: In one bud with one leaf shape, or one bud with two leaves.

Harvest time: March 10, 2015

Taste: Carrying an intoxicating aroma of dragon well, brisk and sweet taste, revealing a nice sense of Spring breeze.

Health Benefits: We know that fresh tea leaves contain plenty of tea polyphenols which has the function of weight loss of green tea. However, based on different producing craft, they will be reduced in different volume. According to a document from Hunan Agricultural University, there are at least 20% to 23% of tea polyphenols in green tea.

What is She Qian Tea? To understand the name She Qian, we need to see the components separately. She is 社 (shè) which refers to the She Ri festival, and Qian is 前 (qián), same meaning as the word before. So She Qian tea means the tea harvested before She Ri festival.

About Teavivre View company

Water: 8oz

Leaves: flat dull light green leaves

Measuring Spoon: no

Steep: 3m~

Aroma: vegetable

Color: light yellow

Clarity: great

Taste: From reading my reviews over time I’m sure many of you know how much i enjoy dragon well tea! It’s always seems to be top shelf favorite no matter what variety or when it’s picked. This is the first time i’m trying a She Qian Long Jin which from the website states " picked shortly after the buds sprout". the scent was noticeable even when i only opened the silver packer a little bit.I allowed the the to steep for a little over 3 minutes. The taste was surprising as this was the first time i’ve had any bitterness in a dragon well tea. The bitterness lasted throughout the cup leaving an after taste on the tongue. I then looked at the website then at the instructions on the silver packet. I found that the problem was there was a misprint the packet stated to brew it at “185 degrees” while on the website it said “176 degrees”. This goes to show how important it is to have the proper temperature when making a tea. I’m going to have to try it again later with the right water temperature. With the bitterness noted this was an okay cup not as great as the other dragon wells considering the incorrect instructions.

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Dragon Well greens have always been a favorite and I thought I’d have a pot while I study. The leaves are gorgeous. Deep forest green. The flavor of the tea is nice. It has a nice thick buttered veggies taste to it.

My first spring green of 2016 and definitely worth the wait. The dry leaves in a heated vessel exude a luscious creamed spinach aroma. Tea brews to a delicate, pale liquor that embodies the freshness of the leaves. There is a gentle grassiness accompanied by a a soft chestnut flavor. Eventually it transitions to a light vegetable broth. The mouthfeel is crisp and smooth. Nothing too strong or in your face. This is a pretty mellow tea as far as dragon wells go. It’s thinner than Teavivre’s Premium Dragonwell but the taste is more refined.

I recommend steeping this in a tall glass. Normally grandpa style is annoying because of leaves getting into your mouth, but I didn’t mind it here because the tender buds are so delicious. And the beauty of watching these leaf buds dancing in the water only adds to the enjoyment. A very invigorating and refreshing dragon well tea.

Flavors: Garden Peas, Grass, Spinach, Vegetables

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is one of the better teas I’ve ever tasted. Yes, it’s a bit more expensive, but sometimes you have to treat yourself! The aromas and flavors are so wonderful. I feel like I am “drinking spring.” What an excellent tea. Wow, just WOW!!

Flavors: Asparagus, Butter, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 30 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 175 ML

This is a lovely dragon well that is also organic! I’m always excited when I find a good organic tea. Sadly most of my favorites are not, but I can’t help but to wonder about what the leaves might have been sprayed with or the soil treated with when I drink non-organic at times. I digress though- the dry leaf on this one is light green, airy, and pressed. The smell is more grassy and savory than some of my other recently reviewed straight greens, but still in a very pleasant way. The liquor is clear light yellow-green and there is no oil or film. The taste is very fresh- cucumber slices and crisp snow peas in a broth. I can see how someone might say this one is floral, but I am not getting flowers myself personally. It makes me think of a winter/early spring harvest. Lettuce, chard, snow peas, all manner of cool weather crops. Great tea for a 29 degree morning here in Georgia. Happy Friday fellow Steepsters!

Flavors: Broth, Cucumber, Freshly Cut Grass, Garden Peas

It’s with great pleasure that I write my 400th note on Steepster, and an even greater pleasure to do so with this tea! Hooray!

I first tried Dragon Well teas a few months ago when I made my very first order from Teavivre and chose their basic Dragon Well tea as a sample. I remember not being impressed with it then, though I don’t know if that was because it was their basic (non-premium) kind of tea, and thus lower-down on the ladder when compared to their premium varieties, or whether it was because I hadn’t tried as many other Chinese greens.

Suffice it to say that in contrast, this She Qian Dragon Well is a delight. The dry leaves are a beautiful shade of apple/olive green, and they smell like heavily buttered vegetables – so salty and savory. The resulting liquor was just as delightful.

I steeped it twice, the first time for about 3:45 and the second for about 5 minutes, and both times the tea was really savoury. For a long time, I thought that Dragon Well teas weren’t my bag, but this tea may have just made me a convert. I can’t wait to brew the remaining leaf with a gaiwan.

Many thanks to Lala for placing this in the GCTTB3!

Kaylee

Congrats!

Terri HarpLady

Yay for 400!

boychik

Congrats!

I haven’t logged a tea here in a long time but I had to with this one. It is nothing short of amazing. Intensely aromatic and complex, I could not get enough of it. Compared to their other offerings it’s on the expensive side but it is seriously amaze-balls.

Flavors: Creamy, Cucumber, Floral, Melon, Nutty, Sweet

MzPriss

Sounds delicious!

Charisma

I liked this one a lot too :)

Stephanie was so generous to send me her other sample packet. The experience of this tea is very far from disappointing. The yellow-green dry leaf looks alive – as if they were never snipped from the stem – and its aroma is so full and fresh and vegetal. I can’t count how many times I stuck my nose in the packet before I finally took some leaves out to make some tea!

I brewed this using both Western and dragonwell style, and I very much prefer the latter (partially because dragonwell seems to taste better). The liquor is full-bodied, bright, clean, and refreshing. The flavors are typical (listed below) but – with this dragonwell in particular – are magnified, in that they taste fresher and stronger.

Flavors: Asparagus, Green Beans, Nutty

185 °F / 85 °C 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

You should post this review on TeaVivre’s website, too. They’re doing triple points right now AKA $1.50 per review towards future tea purchases!

Funny you mention the scent of the dry leaf- intoxicating, right? I couldn’t believe how great it smelled!

So glad you enjoyed it!

KiwiDelight

One of the best smelling teas EVAR.

Silly question: do I need an account for the points? I should make one anyway. Teavivre is on my “MUST ORDER FROM” list.

KiwiDelight

I did everything. (crosses fingers for the contest)

Stephanie

Yeah, I think you need an account. Good luck!!! We could win more of this tea! Wouldn’t that be great? hehe :)

KiwiDelight

Yes!! I’m also eyeing that Yixing pot…

Backlog:

LOVE!

Some time ago, in the forums, I commented on the thread that asked what Dragonwell people were going to get this spring. This is one that I recommended. It’s an OUTSTANDING dragonwell.

Then again, you can’t really go wrong with Teavivre.

This is a very fresh Dragon Well, and it’s a freshness that can be tasted. Sweet, mild, fresh, pure, clean, nutty and buttery are all words that come to mind when I sipped this tea. It’s an invigorating and refreshing green tea.

A delightful chestnut flavor with a hint of steamed veggies. As I continued to sip, I could pick up on some apple-like flavors. Savory notes toward mid-sip: a little salty. A really, really good Dragonwell!

here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/04/21/organic-nonpareil-qian-dragon-well-long-jing-green-tea-teavivre/

Jillian

That’s an impressively long name for that tea.

Anna

This sounds great, I look forward to getting to the dragon well portion of my green tea project.

ashmanra

“You can’t go wrong with Teavivre.” One of the truest statements I have ever read.

LiberTEAS

They are a company that continues to impress me. I was blown away with how good this Dragon Well is.

2044 tasting notes

Thank you so much for being so generous Teavivre! Wow. I always appreciate it so much! It really makes my day (or week) to receive a package of teas all the way from China. A sample package just in time for triple review points! I promised I’d try this one as soon as I got it because I insisted they wait to send it with the other teas they wanted to send. As fresh as possible. Hopefully it didn’t affect the teas too much sitting in the 95 degree mailbox for an hour before I rescued them (and probably warmer because it is a brown mailbox).
The dry leaves are a lovely jade green, flat yet wide. I love the look of these leaves – it reminds me of how much I love tea. The fragrance is surprisingly strong! Very sweet.

Steep #1 // 32 minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 min steep
I used two teaspoons of leaves. I didn’t exactly use the right parameters for this steep since the 17 ounces of water suggestion always confuses me. The color of the cup is a mellow yellow. The flavor somehow reminds me of the flavor of a Mao Feng – creamed or breaded corn. I love that sort of flavor, it’s very good but I don’t think that is what the flavor was supposed to be. Maybe a longer steep time and hotter temperature WOULD have been better. But I can’t imagine the black teas should be steeped for one minute and the green should be steeped for four minutes.

Steep #2 // 30 min after boiling // 2 min steep
Now it has turned into a tea I’ve never tasted before. Such a garden of flavors this one has turned into: what was once corn is now cucumber and melon. Very interesting. This cup also seems like it should have more flavor, especially with such a strong scent to the dry leaves. Maybe I should have used more of them. There is no astringency at all.

Steep #3 // 28 min after boiling // 2 min
Maybe it was because the leaves sat overnight, but this cup didn’t have too much flavor. It’s interesting that this tea didn’t acquire a strawberry-like flavor, since these types of teas sometimes do. I will definitely try again with Teavivre’s parameters next time. They sent me plenty to sample. I guess I should just consider 17 ounces is double what my mug holds, so just halve all the parameters? I don’t know. This tea is very unique (haven’t had something like this before and I’ve tried a few other dragonwell teas before). Very nice.

She Qian is SO GOOD