Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I am so happy to have this tea again! I only had a sample back in the day when I reviewed it the first time. I have more knowledge about teas now and I ADORE this tea! I love a great pouchong!...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “Ick, I've been sick for almost a week, and I'm mostly better and back to normal functioning. However, I'm still kind of snotty. Past week I've been snuggling with bottles of orange juice and...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1018 tasting notes
  • “Bao Zhongs are my favorite types of oolongs. I got hooked on them when I received a sampler from The Tea Smith as a gift, and it was one of the included types. Of course their teas are almost...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “The picture looks lighter and greener than this did in my spoon. Maybe I should add more light. OK, so my first unflavored bao zhong. I never know how I am going to respond to an oolong. There is...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1251 tasting notes

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

Bao Zhong’s hand-picked, long, twisted pouchong tea leaves are slightly oxidized, brewing a fresh, jade-colored infusion with delicate notes of lilac and pear.
Steep for 3-5 minutes @ 195 F – 1 to 2 Teaspoon

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

Full review on sororiteasisters.com on the 17th!

Ick, I’ve been sick for almost a week, and I’m mostly better and back to normal functioning. However, I’m still kind of snotty. Past week I’ve been snuggling with bottles of orange juice and tissues watching kdramas. Now finally, tea drinking time now that I can taste tea!

Mmmm, a good baozhong is always a nice drink! Love the floral and creamy notes! Now back to snuggling my tea cup watching City Hunter.

Terri HarpLady

Sorry to hear you’ve been sick, but I’m glad you’re starting to feel better! :)

Bao Zhongs are my favorite types of oolongs. I got hooked on them when I received a sampler from The Tea Smith as a gift, and it was one of the included types. Of course their teas are almost impossible to get stateside, so I’ve been trying many other Bao Zhongs (or Pouchong, as it’s also called). I think they’re my favorite type of teas hands down, so of course I had to try one from Persimmon Tree! I’ve been really pleased with their blends I’ve tried so far, but I haven’t dipped in to the unflavored offerings yet.

Well, it’s everything I expected it to be: softly floral and fruity, with grassy vegetal notes and a very full body for a light oolong. There are notes of lilac, and it almost reminds me of mimosa, one of my favorite summer smells. It’s springtime walks, summer heat, and dewy grass. It’s also great iced, and cold brewed it has almost a citrusy kick. Possibly my favorite from TPT that I’ve tried so far!

The picture looks lighter and greener than this did in my spoon. Maybe I should add more light. OK, so my first unflavored bao zhong. I never know how I am going to respond to an oolong. There is no pattern to my likes and dislikes that I can figure out. This one I really liked. Sweet, floral (but not in your face floral) like lilac or light rose, and unexpected melon notes. It becomes more creamy as it cools . Something I didn’t note on my blog, as I just caught it while typing this – there is a darker earthy flavor that pop up as it cools even further, it is like a hint of roasted flavor. This is a really nice cup of yum.

The Persimmon Tree

We’re happy that you like it! :)

gmathis

I like the roastier oolongs better than the floralier ones.

Loose
Appearance: grey green large pouchang curls
Aroma when Dry: dry, subtly smoky floral notes
After water is first poured: sweet beans, floral notes
At end of first steep: clear
Tea liquor:
At end of steep: clear
Staple? no
Preferred time of day: any
Taste:
At first?: buttery sweet lima bean bean and cauliflower notes, vegital
As it cools?: notes get creamier, smoother, open up, tea gets juicy
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No
Lingers? Yes, creamy, almost milky vegetal notes, bean,corn notes

Second Steep(5min):
At first: buttery, light mineral notes, vegital, brothy
As it cools: notes open up again

Oolong teas are so addicting! The complex flavors are so intoxicating and this tea falls right into that deliciously flavored oolong journey that these teas are so well known for. The floral notes are definitely there from start to finish but along the way is a deep rich sweetness that is difficult to describe, but yummy all the same. I was able to get three good steeps out of this one, with the third being about 1/3 weaker than the first two. A fourth steep seemed too weak for my tastes. Another great tea from Persimmon Tree.

This particular tea has a flavor that is full of depth. It starts out with a subtle vegetal flavor which more closely resembles a green tea before the delicate floral flavor blossoms. It has slight sweetness to it that reminds me somewhat of a well ripened piece of fruit, although I’m having trouble deciding just which variety it most closely resembles. When making iced tea it’s natural sweetness means you won’t need to add additional sweeteners to it, keeping your healthy beverage just that, healthy. Oh, and did I mention that this tea is organic too?

You can read the full review on my blog: